The Significance of Krishna

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.
bella

Postby bella » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:28 am

Without trying to be incendiary, there's not a lot one can say in reply to a post full of quotations.

In the words of Emerson: "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:47 am

oh VERY well said Bella! *g*

Barb

Hello

Postby Barb » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:34 pm

Hello Pupils of St V...past & present

I think some of you are loosing the plot a bit..(if you don't mind me saying). The conversations regarding right/wrong punishments & upbringings is not really an issue...we all have our own opinion and should accept that.
The school was wrong in many ways...I have grown to an adult that has no problem speaking her mind, I only wish I had that strength then. Not only did I find some good teachers & pupils but some very nasty ones as well..yes I mean pupils too
I had some very unhappy times at St V, and the teachers there were,as far as I am concerned, from a different era
I don't dwell on it, it is history and nothing can change it. I try to live by being probably the most unjudgemental person you could meet...because of dealing with so much opinion as a teenager at St V
Regarding the girl who committed suicide..her name was Emma Sommerville, a lovely, quiet girl who feel in love with a guy her Dad would not accept (her Dad was very strict, I meet him once and he frightened the life out of me!) he was also a member of SES..so there was probably more to it
My sister (Deborah)was a close friend and named her daughter after her

St V wanted to force the boys to be men (no emotion and all the rubbish) and the girls to be ladies (chained to the sink, making babies and keeping a perfect house) This kind of thing just does not wash in this day and age

Anyway, with most of us we went the other way..I am a career girl and divorced...I wonder how many girls aren't??

Interesting to read all the comments..but lets just be careful and keep it friendly otherwise we will be becoming what they all were...

Barb ..March 18th 2004
PS who is the New Zealand member?
[/i]

Re: The Bhagavad Gita

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:08 pm

the annoyed -pacified4now wrote:
These are some of the best-loved quotes from a story which is loved by many:

For certain is death for the born
And certain is birth for the dead;
Therefore over the inevitable
Thou shouldst not grieve.

- Bhagavad Gita, Chapter 2

It's interesting by the way we all greive at the loss of someone. However the Vedantic view of life, says that the soul still lives. I suppose this quote reminds us (if you belive that the soul still lives), that only the body dies, the soul still lives on and on and on, why then do we cry by the loss of someone, for we don't actually loose.

It also shows that anything born is sure to die, we always know this, and yet, when someone dies, we get a shock! It is the way this life works, "for certain is death for every born". As my biology teacher pointed out that we are getting old by the minute we are born. Our birthdays tell us our age, how old we are, we celebrate getting old, yet greive when we die.

I see this quote inspiring as I would not like anyone to greive when I die, and yet I still greive at the loss of my attachment. Perhaps to grieve is, in a way, somewhat selfish, because we cry at what we loose. However it is our human nature to become attached. Perhaps it's bad to become too attached, to anythign really?

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:18 pm

Anonymous wrote:Perhaps to grieve is, in a way, somewhat selfish, because we cry at what we loose. However it is our human nature to become attached. Perhaps it's bad to become too attached, to anythign really?

You can also grieve because of the pain the deceased suffered, or the goals the person never attained, or the grand child just born, that will never know his grand father. Or.. That is not selfish.

Secondly, if you never want to become attached, the only solution is an isolated island. A prospect, I am sure, doesn't sound too appealing (to me neither). It would be one empty and dull life.
Mike Gormez

Misty

Postby Misty » Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:34 pm

mgormez wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Perhaps to grieve is, in a way, somewhat selfish, because we cry at what we loose. However it is our human nature to become attached. Perhaps it's bad to become too attached, to anythign really?

You can also grieve because of the pain the deceased suffered, or the goals the person never attained, or the grand child just born, that will never know his grand father. Or.. That is not selfish.

Secondly, if you never want to become attached, the only solution is an isolated island. A prospect, I am sure, doesn't sound too appealing (to me neither). It would be one empty and dull life.

Interesting view. You can also grieve for the person who lost someone. How something doesn't really affect you, yet you feel for the person who is grieving.

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:38 pm

Misty wrote:Interesting view. You can also grieve for the person who lost someone. How something doesn't really affect you, yet you feel for the person who is grieving.

Exactly!
Mike Gormez

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:51 am

the annoyed -pacified4now wrote:On action alone be thy interest,
Never on its fruits.
Let not the fruits of action be thy motive,
Nor be thy attachment to inaction.

(Okay, I'll bite.. and don't go all super-annoyed on me for that)

I don't agree with the quote!

Here's why. We know of Hitler's Mein Kampf book. As I understand it, it is the roadmap to what the madman had in mind - that's what I would call the action.

He died before I was born so I never had a chance to protest against it. But now, some 60 odd years later, people are still using his book as motivator for hatred - which I call the fruit

So what should I do when I don't agree with Hitler's views? I can't undo the action - the book is banned in my country - but I can hamper the fruit.
Mike Gormez

Misty

Postby Misty » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:50 pm

the annoyed -pacified4now wrote:On action alone be thy interest,
Never on its fruits.
Let not the fruits of action be thy motive,
Nor be thy attachment to inaction

My friend organised a charity event at his university a couple of years ago, to raise money for the people who had suffered in the great earthquake in Gujarat. Not many of the tickets were not sold, and it was a week before the event, he bacame really upset, after all this organisation he would not raise much money after all. He then relaised is that it wasnt how successful this event will become that mattered, atleast he had done what he could.

His action being taken on interest is the organisations of the charity event.

The fruits of his action -being how much he would raise.

In the end it all worked out well, ALL the tickets were sold the night before!

It just shows that what we do, shouldn't be done because you want to get something out of it, but because you want to do it from thr bottom of your heart.

It's also an example of giving: you would give and not in the least expect the other side to give back.

That is the way I look at the quote.

That is why I find it inspiring, because I belive if I took it upon myself to remember this quote everyday, I would perhaps be an even more happier person to myself and to others.

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:38 pm

Misty wrote:In the end it all worked out well, ALL the tickets were sold the night before!

It just shows that what we do, shouldn't be done because you want to get something out of it, but because you want to do it from thr bottom of your heart.

It's also an example of giving: you would give and not in the least expect the other side to give back.

I respect your view, but would like to add that it is not always bad to expect something in return. If I take myself as example; I do some volunteer work and make a lot of fun with the people.

I just can't stop smilling when I am so busily working with them, that is a darn good feeling! So, sure, I do the work but I expect to get something out of it too. It is not my main motivation but if I hadn't any fun I would do something else because clearly it was not for me and the people desever someone who is enthusiastic.

Does this make any sense?
Mike Gormez

Misty

Postby Misty » Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:36 pm

mgormez wrote:
Misty wrote:In the end it all worked out well, ALL the tickets were sold the night before!

I respect your view, but would like to add that it is not always bad to expect something in return. If I take myself as example; I do some volunteer work and make a lot of fun with the people.

I just can't stop smilling when I am so busily working with them, that is a darn good feeling! So, sure, I do the work but I expect to get something out of it too. It is not my main motivation but if I hadn't any fun I would do something else because clearly it was not for me and the people desever someone who is enthusiastic.

Does this make any sense?

Hmm.. i too respect your views.

Going into something you are interested in can be considered fun. Interest does in a subtle way relate quite well to the feeling of enjoyment, correct me if I'm wrong.

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:15 pm

Misty wrote:Hmm.. i too respect your views.

Going into something you are interested in can be considered fun. Interest does in a subtle way relate quite well to the feeling of enjoyment, correct me if I'm wrong.

It can be but not always, in my case. Sometimes I take an interest in a particular topic but it does not bring me enjoyment. I do it because I feel morally obliged.
Mike Gormez

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:36 pm

mgormez wrote:
Misty wrote:Hmm.. i too respect your views.

It can be but not always, in my case. Sometimes I take an interest in a particular topic but it does not bring me enjoyment. I do it because I feel morally obliged.

Doing something morally surely means that you're doing somethign good? Doing somethign good surely makes you feel good/joyfull?

Misty

Postby Misty » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:42 pm

^ sorry, I really should get registered.

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:35 pm

Misty wrote:Doing something morally surely means that you're doing somethign good? Doing somethign good surely makes you feel good/joyfull?

Sometimes it is the contrary of feeling good, even if you did a good task. For example. I abhor child abuse and have made web pages addressing said abuse. They have never made me feel good (or rather joyfull) but they do have caused me sleepless nights.
Mike Gormez

Return to “General discussion of SES”