The Secret Cult

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.

Re: Sydney SOP 1970 - 2004

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:24 am

[quote="Goblinboy"]Thanks for the posting Westie.

[quote="westie"]
Mavro had for some years an ongoing extramarital affair with one of the senior female students? This whilst giving searing 'sexual morality' lectures to his senior men's and women's groups -- all seperate and segregated . A case of do as I say but not as I do ... not surprising really is it ? When Mrs. M found out, the woman concerned was hustled , within the week, off back to her former home in England.[/quote]

As Lord Acton said, ?power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely? (shameless pun fully intended). Morality and power are difficult bedfellows.

I don't think that there was any unsavoury business in relation to her parting with the SES -- she was originaly from the school in Holland . I suspect that a major power-play took place after MaCL died and she was part of the fall-out. Many went --and they know things. Trouble is that few realise that there exists a forum such as this.

[quote="westie"]
One has to remember that all the senior people including the Mavro's were, in ordinary life --- well, simply ordinary. What they had created was a small but intense 'kingdom' in which they were 'people of consequence'.[/quote]

This aligns with my impression of the Melbourne School of Philosophy - ?the tiny, interior cuteness of it all? as the poster of the ?1982? thread described his experience of the SES on this site. A self-contained world where answers were provided for people who were searching for meaning, people with a yearning for affinity, for somewhere to belong, and who could be gradually cajoled into a willing suspension of disbelief.

[quote="westie"]
One could ask, for example ; what happened to MacLaren's personal female attendant -- she who travelled and tended him for years -- after he passed on . Why was she unceremoniously 'dumped' by the senior London school's 'management' . She is no longer in the school and no one in it is in contact with her Did she know too much, perhaps ? There are people who do but so far none has spoken out. [/quote]

OK, I?m asking. That she was booted out implies that she was involved in something the School found unsavoury. From a management perspective, dumping is a very poor way of minimising risk to the School?s reputation ? just as the edicts about no contact with members who have left created more opponents than friends.

Can you shed any more light on her situation, Westie?[/quote]

history repeats

Re: Sydney SOP 1970 - 2004

Postby history repeats » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:18 am

Anonymous wrote:
I don't think that there was any unsavoury business in relation to her parting with the SES -- she was originaly from the school in Holland . I suspect that a major power-play took place after MaCL died and she was part of the fall-out. Many went --and they know things. Trouble is that few realise that there exists a forum such as this.

the book was written 20 years ago , and discussion carries to this day, thats what I find amazing. Also whats interesting is that Mavros current school is heading in the same direction as the SOP..its like going back in time and looking at the steps. Trouble is will somebody stop it or will it just continue? 300+ people are at stake here.

If anybody has more pertinent info about the SOP and the issues not fully covered in the book, please post asap.

ppfnyc

The whereabouts of Maclaren's assistant

Postby ppfnyc » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:37 am

Dorine van Oyen is evidently now with the Ouspensky Foundation working in the area of "international contacts & music; movements."

I think this piece from their "History" page may have been written by her.
http://home.planet.nl/~tiben006/maclareneng.htm
Check it out

erikdr

The Secret Cult

Postby erikdr » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:18 pm

ppfnyc wrote:Dorine van Oyen is evidently now with the Ouspensky Foundation working in the area of "international contacts & music; movements."

Check it out

Check done - unfortunately broken link. So if you have a better one...

Actually she WAS a famous person here in Amsterdam. Direct relative of the people who more or less founded the local SES, Van Ooyen family.

The president, banker Paul van Ooyen (mentioned in Secret Cult!) got kicked out by the SES (SvF) board somewhere in the nineties because of too much dictatorial behaviour. That was around the time of the unofficial split between the two SvF fractions claiming the same name, and a few yers before the two of them started law suits finally leading to the (partial) falldown of both of them.

With folded palms,

<Erik> - Amsterdam

mgormez

Re: The Secret Cult

Postby mgormez » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:42 am

erikdr wrote:
ppfnyc wrote:Dorine van Oyen is evidently now with the Ouspensky Foundation working in the area of "international contacts & music; movements."

Check it out

Check done - unfortunately broken link. So if you have a better one...

Google has a cached copy but these don't last long
http://216.239.59.104/search?sourceid=n ... reneng.htm

or the short version: http://tinyurl.com/5g2de
Mike Gormez

AntonR

The Secret Cult

Postby AntonR » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:54 am

This post deleted
Last edited by AntonR on Wed May 17, 2006 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:45 pm

Hello Anthony,

I was very interested to see your name here. I've just been re-reading the sections of 'Secret Cult' that refer to, and quote, you and your wife, Celia.

If you don't mind, I'd love to know the answers to a few questions. What finally made you leave the School? How difficult was it for you to leave? What have you been doing since you left the School? How do you view the School and its activities now?

Tom

AntonR

The Secret Cult

Postby AntonR » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:52 am

This post deleted
Last edited by AntonR on Wed May 17, 2006 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

AntonR

The Secret Cult

Postby AntonR » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:11 pm

Post deleted
Last edited by AntonR on Wed May 17, 2006 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

leon

Postby leon » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:00 am

AntonR wrote:Tom,

What finally made me leave the School? The trigger was at the annual retreat with McL, Van Oyen and a gentleman from the South Afican School
Questions were being asked about Sth Africa. The answers caused me to look around and worried me. We could have been at a white supremacist meeting.ued:

Anthony

Hi Anthony. thanks for your post. Could you elaborate a little on what was said? I found SES is deeply racist to certain cultures and peoples. Like Theosophists Anthroposophists and other early "occult" organisations Africans are generally seen as sub-human, examples of a left over race, closer to animals etc, while their Indian swamis are more enlightened etc. SES came from the whole racist occult (almost facist) scene in the late 19c and early 20c.

Goblinboy

Postby Goblinboy » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:57 pm

AntonR wrote:...In a few short minutes he dispelled nearly 14 yrs of School crap and the mystique of the source connection to the teachings of HH. ...Don't do it again without my permission! That was it.

Anthony,

Thank you very much for posting your experiences here. It's great to hear from you, particularly after reading of your family's experiences in "Secret Cult". Incredible that Mavro is still in business, albeit with a new organisation.

Regards,

Goblinboy.

AntonR

Secret Cult

Postby AntonR » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:04 am

Post deleted
Last edited by AntonR on Wed May 17, 2006 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

NYC

Postby NYC » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:29 am

Anthony, I have not read Secret Cult except as excerpted on the web, so I apologize if you have stated this elsewhere -- but did you personally witness Mavro actually striking people in the face if they fell asleep during meditation?

This detail sticks with me, since it is such a cowardly thing to do -- to hit someone who is asleep -- and also that it is completely unecessary, of course. If someone is asleep all you have to do is give a gentle shake to the shoulder to wake them up; but of course the purpose of hitting people, esp in the face, would be to inspire shame and fear.

I would really love for Mavro to have to answer questions about why he felt it necessary to do this.

NYC

Postby NYC » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:32 am

By the way, Michael Mavro's name is nowhere mentioned on the website for the shoot-off school, www.schoolforselfknowledge.org.

AntonR

Secret Cult

Postby AntonR » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:05 am

Post deleted
Last edited by AntonR on Wed May 17, 2006 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General discussion of SES”