SES schools worldwide

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.
Gandalf

Boston

Postby Gandalf » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:55 pm

NYC
Yes, Dr. Lehmann does know about this site

bella

Re: SES reporting on students

Postby bella » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:36 pm

HoHumBug wrote:You guys are right about the ?class notes? in Part 1 ? 9 or so not being all that important or sinister (they can reveal a lot about the note-writer though!) but how do you think people in part 20 or part 50 find themselves in group A rather than group B, in ?Level Z? rather than ?Level Y?? How do you think you get promoted from private to sergeant to Colonel in the US Army? How do you get to be Field Marshal? Of course there is endless 'confidential' discussion about everyone in any hierarchical organisation. But have you not heard of the 'oral tradition' . The SES has it in spades. The dodgy stuff is never in writing!

Maybe we're a relatively young school, but it's only the more junior groups who actually have group assistants/"note-takers" here. I figure the tutors report directly to the school leader about the goings on in their own, more senior groups. Am I irredeemably indoctrinated beyond all reason, or is there nothing particularly "dodgy" about shuffling people around into different groups from time to time? We're not talking about a Montessori school here. Different groups are doing different material, and have a different focus, at any one time.

The two most common examples I can think of where someone is switched to a different group would be the student not doing service (cleaning, tea stuff, etc.), and the student being moved to fill in a "merged group" situation. As the years go by, the attrition rate brings some groups to untenable levels - like 3 or 4 to a class. When you don't have many tutors to go around, groups merge, and some people feel like they're being promoted while the others feel like they're being demoted, depending on which group started first and how much they view it as a race to some imaginary finish line (and there are quite a few who do). Sometimes a few students from a particular group will be "promoted" to join a more senior group - either because they're unchallenged in their current group, the more senior group needs some extra members, or both. It's always a bit of a shakeup when longtime groups split and merge, or when people get moved around: people's attitudes, snobbery, and ideas of power sort of get forced out into the light.

Students who get to a certain point and are not doing service might be put in a different (more junior) group, with people who are also not doing service. Much of the material refers often to "second-line work" after awhile, and if you're not doing service, you're left out of that discussion, pretty much. Would it be better to try to force someone to do service so they can participate in the material, leave them in the group where they won't have experience of what's being talked about, or to shift them to a group where it's not a focus yet? Depends on where you're standing, I suppose.

All that aside, I just don't think it's that dodgy to place students in groups they're ready for/suited to, rather than insisting that everyone who started in a group must continue in that same group until the end of time, no matter how bored/unchallenged/confused/isolated they might feel. Like you said, HoHum, it's the same in any hierarchical org. It's the same in ballet, high school, and tennis, too. I can see why it might come across as dictatorial and elitist to some people, but I don't really have any issue with it personally.

NYC, you make a good point about the note-taking seeming either benign or threatening depending on your previous experiences with the school. Someone sitting in the room silently taking notes probably seems threatening to many people who've just joined, though, and heaps of people ask about it. Perhaps that's why our most recent note-taking exercises were to be done after we got home, as was suggested. Kinda puts the note-taker on the spot to prove they weren't sleeping, too. ;)

xmember

NZ school

Postby xmember » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:32 am

Hi there,

reading this thread has been a trip down memory lane. Read this for my intro...

http://www.whyaretheydead.net/phpBB2/vi ... .php?t=327

Yes, I do recall the note taking, and yes, it was amazing how what you said at one meeting might come and haunt you a long time later. Completely unassociated people might orchestrate your movement to another class, or my parents might suddenly become aware of something I said in a class... there were locked filing cabinets that the tutors would go to for our file when ever we went to be checked on our meditation...

As for Malvo's affair.. the prevalent attitude was that women were naturally a distraction to men, and that the wives were to blame if there was an affair in the marriage, because they couldn't be fullfilling their wifely roles... and since men had needs, and as long as they were discrete.. well... it was all very British, and not talked about either.

The NZ school took it's direction and material directly from the UK, and because of the geographical isolation, tutors it seemed could interpret the teaching in what ever way they liked, with out much censure.

Disipline is one example, but so is the vegetarianism, the long skirts and the sexism, racism, and general bigiotry that prevailed long after i left in th elate 1980's.

Referring to the arranged marriages... this while not being overt was clearly favoured. Living within the school you were in a bubble, and it objectivity (while taught) was not practiced.

It was often suggested that I should end up marrying a nice girl from the school. Age differences were encouraged, as I was told, men should be there to guide a woman before she can become unduly infulenced by the world. Women were too emotional and should be held in check by an experienced, worldly man.

Thus, we have the dispicable "arrangement" where the 45 yr old (?) Headmaster of the Ficino School marries a girl barely out of high school.... and this is supposed to be the example set for their students??!!

I recall the marriage being feted, and glorified by the school, inyet, the girl was never given a chance to see what the world was like, and weather her match was good.

The school and it's ex members were quite polarized by this marriage.

I look foward to hearing from others with NZ experience.
NZ ex member 16yrs (age 1-16)

NYC

Postby NYC » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:14 pm

Mike has created a section for general discussion of anything at all at ?chatting away? under the Combined Message Boards Forum Index. I?ve started a thread there regarding the bombing this morning in London.

It is a horrifying thing and I just want to express sympathy for those hurt and killed today, the people close to them, and the witnesses to this violence.
NYC

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:10 am

It seems that the Melbourne children's school is busy advertising itself in various parenting mags - this is what they are saying about themselves. Note there is NO mention of links with the SES and, as I've noted before, their website doesn't mention any links either. And I wonder if the woodwork/needlework activities are done by boys AND girls.

"ERASMUS SCHOOL

Type of School: Independent, co-educational, non-denominational school.

Fees: On application.

Intake years: Prep to Grade 6.

Special Programs: Classical languages are offered including Sanskrit and Latin. Meditation is offered, instruction in small classes (capped at 20 students). Erasmus also offers a sit-down vegetarian lunch which is provided daily for all children.

Co-curricular activities: drama, dance, art, chess, fencing, house sports and athletics, ensemble, chorister choir, recorder consort, woodwork and needlework.

School Tours: Every Tuesday during term time starting at 11.00am and including an organic, vegetarian lunch with the children.

General comments: Erasmus School is part of a worldwide family of schools devoted to teaching truthful principles that uplift the individual and prepare him or her to serve the wider community with confidence, compassion and creativity. Our pupils are encouraged to step over the limits and to realise their true spiritual, emotional, intellectual and physical potential. There is a close relationship in a spirit of openness, trust and mutual effort. Children thrive in the tranquil, orderly and happy atmosphere that prevails here. The Erasmus School of Primary Education offers a unique education founded on the principles of classical philosophy and the great spiritual teachings of East and West. Motto: "Let You Light Shine"."

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:51 am

have just heard that in the Australian schools there have been a number of withdrawals of children by non-SES parents as it has finally dawned on them (not that the schools make it easy) that the schools are run by a cult!

Not that the SES thinks of itself as a cult - but to NOT make mention of the link in their literature is hardly being honest. Yes I admit the Sydney school has SES links in their website - but you DO have to go hunting for them! How many "prospect" non-SES parents would delve THAT far into a schools website when it is "filed" under a category FAR outside the normal parents "inquiry zone". Jeeeze you are looking for curriculum and activities and outcomes, NOT some vague and hardly defined "association".

Temporarily Duped

Postby Temporarily Duped » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:47 am

Hi Different Guest,

Luckily we discovered this site. It cleared things up and put things into perspective.

I'm not so good at IT Tec stuff so i'm not sure how this page will look.

[double quoting error fixed -- mike]
Last edited by Temporarily Duped on Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

ET

Postby ET » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:01 am

Hi Temporarily Duped,

Welcome to the site, and well done for noticing that your son was so unhappy and getting him out before more damage was done. It wasn't until many years after we left that my parents realised quite how badly we had been affected by the school, despite the glaring evidence that was before them the whole time we were there. Of course, this was in the UK school, so it's not quite the same as your situation, but the same things apply I think!

I hope your son does well in the new school you send him to, and can put the bad experience at Erasmus behind him.

PS. Don't worry about your IT skills - the page looks fine to me! :fadein:

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:15 am

Dear Temp duped

I had NO idea I was referring to anyone in particular - just heard some vague rumours on the grapevine. However I am glad you found this site and put two and two together - a "melachony" preppie/kindie is a real concern. I hope your little bloke or blokette is much happier in their new school. Prep (kindergarten) is meant to be the FUN year of school.
Last edited by a different guest on Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Temporarily Duped

Australian primary school

Postby Temporarily Duped » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:35 am

Thanks ET & ADG for your posts.

Our son is HAPPY, he LOVES his new State school.

I have to stop myself from crying each time i peek into his classroom and see all those happy faces , laughing, clapping and singing children's songs at the end of the day.

On the way home from school he can't tell me enough about his day, all with enthusiasm.
Last edited by Temporarily Duped on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:04 pm

We have our 5 yr old child back!

So GLAD to hear that TD. Yes kids that age should be chirpy and chatty NOT muttering mantra's. It is quite spooky to read your experiences. My relatives tell me their children read so well because of "all the Shakeaspeare". WTF? And I wonder how "all the Shakespeare" helps a child with a reading problem.

Are you in contact with any parents from the (now) ex school? Are there others like yourself or do you think many parents ARE ses/sop? Can I ask what made you consider the school in the first place?

But once again glad for you and your little bloke that he is so happy at his new school.

Goblinboy

Re: Australian primary school

Postby Goblinboy » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:47 am

Temporarily Duped wrote: Only 2 -3 months ago he was singing religious verses and telling me all about God, and muttering nonsence 'this is Perfect, that is P--- ,take P-- from P-- and the remainder is Perfect" on the way home
from school.
We have our 5 yr old child back!

Good to hear, TD. I have had similar concerns for some of his five-year-old peers who I have seen behaving in the same way, along with assertions such as ?I go to Erasmus school and it?s the ONLY school full of TRUTH!? These little people go on to talk about about the ?Lord Krinshna? and Hindu faith and symbols

Yet there?s still no admission or clue to Erasmus?s immersion in Advaita Vendanta in any of its public face. I think you?re justified in feeling duped. It?s not ?philosophy? according to any general sense, it?s Advaita Vedanta. What is so hard about admitting that?

Temporarily Duped

the attraction

Postby Temporarily Duped » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:19 am

Hi ADG & Goblinboy

Check out the Independent Schools Inspectorate at www.isinspect.org.uk
. It was an interesting read from my perspective .
Last edited by Temporarily Duped on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:40 am

Thanks TD.

It was interesting to check your link - last time I had look there was only a report for the boys' senior school up. And as you say, reading the report is very interesting. And what particularly stood out to me was the initial page about the school - apparently they are all "christian" schools.

I know the brit schools have some sort of tie with a local church - but as you have discovered the beleif system is hardly what anyone would call "christian".

As for the Au schools - I wish we had some sort of similar reporting about private schools here. Dunno about the UK but as you know our Federal govt gives truckloads of cash to private schools (more than they give state schools!). There there is top up state funding to boot! And where is the accountability? It's not as if under the matra of "choice" has made private schools (the elite ones anyway) more affordable - they've all been putting up their fees steadily each year. I suspect they spend much of this taxpayer money on marketing.

I wonder how much John Colet and Eramus get each year in funding.

gracieinnh

Re: SES schools worldwide

Postby gracieinnh » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:37 pm

Actually , I will tell him tonight in class when I see him

Return to “General discussion of SES”