Physical abuse by teachers in Netherlands

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.
Jellybaby

Physical abuse by teachers in Netherlands

Postby Jellybaby » Sat May 28, 2005 8:47 pm

Can anyone enlighten me as to what happened in the
Dutch children's school in 1996? Which teachers were
involved does anyone know?

sugarloaf

Postby sugarloaf » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:59 pm

If anyone can shed some extra light on the above, I would be very interested to hear from you, please PM me.

erikdr

Abuse Netherlands

Postby erikdr » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:22 am

Hmmm.. as far as I remember most of it was posted earlier in the forum or possibly in an earlier e-mail to Jellybaby.

In brief:

* Head master, Mr. Eric Sluyter, had to take responsibility and got fired. But it was definitely not only him using physical violence, the practice was widespread (due to e.g. all of the teachers having had internships at St. James). Other teachers and the board had to promise to never-do-again and got away with small fines. Also the policy about violence got 'refined'.
* Rumour has it that the 'bellringer' was no less than Mrs. Does, the former co-headteacher. At one point Eric wanted to change roles and wanted to have her appointed as sole headteacher, but that got blocked by SES London due to certain ideas about the role of women :evilbat: Out of revenge she possibly informed the Dutch schools inspection.

So far. Any more global questions can probably be answered by me or Piet, for details about names of teachers there is less chance as I left SES in 1989 and since then all my contacts and info are through other ex-SES friends - some of whom where into School until around 2000-2001.
With folded palms,

<Erik>

NYC

Postby NYC » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:26 pm

Mrs. Does, the former co-headteacher. At one point Eric wanted to change roles and wanted to have her appointed as sole headteacher, but that got blocked by SES London due to certain ideas about the role of women

Ha. So if the SES "really has changed" then Mrs. Laura Hyde, under whose administration the senior girl's school has achieved such a high league ranking, will be supervising Mr. Boddy, a man lacking educational experience and who has inherited a boy's school with a flatly mediocre standing.

Where are the allegations about physical abuse in Netherlands? I thought that the only schools in trouble for physical abuse were in Britain.

erikdr

More British than SES

Postby erikdr » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:54 pm

Hmmm...

On

I thought that the only schools in trouble for physical abuse were in Britain.

I'd refer you back to earlier threads about Platoschool. And as I wrote:

But it was definitely not only him using physical violence, the practice was widespread

To summarise:
* Board and head master had to resign and/or pay fines in 1996. That contributed to the downfall in student numbers, which also had external reasons (e.g. ethnic Hindu schools starting and taking away ethnic Hindu students which mainly were sent to Platoschool because of the Sanskrit curriculum).
* In 2000 a new head master ran into trouble by misbehaving against a (admittedly naughty) boy.

If anyone finds the earlier thread an URL is welcome...
With folded palms,

<Erik>

sparks

Postby sparks » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:38 pm

NYC wrote:Where are the allegations about physical abuse in Netherlands? I thought that the only schools in trouble for physical abuse were in Britain.

Can anyone see a pattern here?

See http://www.ses-resources.info/pu-platosum.html

and
http://www.ses-resources.info/

sugarloaf

Postby sugarloaf » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:54 am

Thanks for the link sparks

So we have another childrens school, run by the SES, which has been found by a - or rather 2 - Police investigations - to have mistreated chidren.

Surely just a coincidence I presume?

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:30 pm

The Dutch Plato school was closed down, not enough pupils. The bad press didn't help either.

Mike
Mike Gormez

Return to “General discussion of SES”