Bequests

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.
a different guest

Bequests

Postby a different guest » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:19 am

The SES seem to get a lot of money and property from bequests. For those of you with family still in the SES do you know if they are planning to bequest a part of their estate to the SES?

ET

Postby ET » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:30 am

I don't know for sure, but I think it's highly likely that my grandparents will. They've been so heavily involved for so long, I can't imagine that they haven't written SES into their wills.

:bad-words:

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:08 am

Thanks ET for your response.

Have you ever felt that the SES may have assisted your grandparents in some way that would make them feel obliged to bequest the SES something from their estate?

Or do you think they would just do it to help a cause they beleive in?

If you do think there is a possibility of "obligation" would you guess it is material or spiritual?

ET

Postby ET » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:02 pm

ADG, I am sending you a PM about this.

xmember

bequest

Postby xmember » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:39 am

yes, a close family member left money to the school. More than they left to their own extended family (nb: i was not slighted by their will, but felt for my extended family)

It is a long story, but needless to say I felt they had been brainwashed into beefling obliged to give money on their death.

The school definitely suffers from an "entitlement complex".
NZ ex member 16yrs (age 1-16)

non-conformist

Re: bequests

Postby non-conformist » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:17 pm

Following on this discussion.... I know it was started some time ago but it raised something from the depths of my memory as I read it.

Does anyone else (possibly from the 80s/early 90s) recall having a letter sent home with them requesting parents and grandparents to leave the school money in their will? I believe it also stipulated that had people already made their wills, they should be persuaded to change it in order to incorporate financial donations to SES.

Answers on a postcard, please...........

ross nolan

bequests etc

Postby ross nolan » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:10 pm

Re bequests and SOP finances -- at the recent Erasmus school open day one member stated that the school was purchased from the Catholic church for three million dollars and that "a Canadian" had donated $600,000 of that -- one parent of a former (removed) student has told of the school fees of about $6000 per year being still demanded despite the removal of the child (after displaying symptoms of brainwashing ) with legal threats . It seems that the Hindu "holy men" like the ex SES Maharishi somehow demand 'donations' of large amounts of money and,as any ascetic knows, you can never have too many Rolls Royces.

Is there any Hindu doctrine that "buys" salvation or needs demonstration of faith by giving alms that anyone knows? The Illoura centre in St Kilda (an ex mansion ) is also owned by the SOP .

Ross.N.
Skeptic

Goblinboy

Re: bequests etc

Postby Goblinboy » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:29 am

ross nolan wrote:The Illoura centre in St Kilda (an ex mansion ) is also owned by the SOP .

Not so much an ex-mansion - still functions as, inter alia, the home of the head of the SOP in Melbourne, John Jepsen - kindly provided by bequests.

erikdr

Bequests

Postby erikdr » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:33 pm

Is there any Hindu doctrine that "buys" salvation or needs demonstration of faith by giving alms that anyone knows? The Illoura centre in St Kilda (an ex mansion ) is also owned by the SOP .

Definitely. It is much in the Indian culture and also in almost all South Asian Buddhist Countries. It is called 'creating positive karma for oneself' or 'merits' (more inside Buddhism). When I was inside SES they did spread fundraising leaflets and calls-in-the-message-minutes (of the lectures) for founding the Dutch primary school (Platoschool), and later for buying their Oxerhof retreat centre when the lease of the previous one was expiring. It was not much formulated as group blackmail for the lower realms but it was for the higher realms including all assistant-tutors. Otherwise one's faith was not enough...
With folded palms,

<Erik>

AntonR

Bequests

Postby AntonR » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:59 am

Post deleted
Last edited by AntonR on Wed May 17, 2006 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

AntonR

Bequests

Postby AntonR » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:28 am

Post deleted
Last edited by AntonR on Wed May 17, 2006 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Goblinboy

Re: Bequests

Postby Goblinboy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:49 am

AntonR wrote:Ms Loewenhertz was sent with him as an assistant, I take it that she would be still there? A few Sth Africans are in the School in Sydney. One is a teacher at John Colet's School. Let us not overlook that the South African School established itself under the umbrella of Apartheid.
An area that has not been taken up in this forum is the political agenda of the School of Economic Science and its affiliates School of Philosophy, School of Practical Philosophy. Does it have one? I believe to does.

Hi Anthony,

She was there until recently - I'll check my sources and get back to you. I knew people who worked at IBM when Jepsen was a middle manager in HR there and had worked with him prior to his retirement to "full time" devotion to the School of Philosophy - he had a less than enviable reputation in that organisation.

Thanks for the observation on the School of Philosophy's negative attitude to "do gooders". I felt there is a very strong double standard demonstrated by members I have encountered. The lack of commitment to any societal or community good beyond the membership of the SOP is also something that emphasises the cultish nature of the School of Philosophy.

Would be interested in your thoughts on the School of Philosophy's political agenda. Like so many cults, I suspect that it attracts people of like values, who are interested in rules, imposing order and control. Apartheid seems an appropriate environment for fostering such views.

Regards,

Goblinboy

ses-surviver

Re: bequests

Postby ses-surviver » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:56 pm

non-conformist wrote:Following on this discussion.... I know it was started some time ago but it raised something from the depths of my memory as I read it.

Does anyone else (possibly from the 80s/early 90s) recall having a letter sent home with them requesting parents and grandparents to leave the school money in their will? I believe it also stipulated that had people already made their wills, they should be persuaded to change it in order to incorporate financial donations to SES.

Answers on a postcard, please...........

Well I never went to the day schools but I was in the SES until early 1990 and I distinctly remember us having been encouraged to include the SES in our wills. No harm in 'getting 'em early' (I was 30 at the time). This was around the time that St James girls (Senior) moved into a property in Notting Hill 9not Chepstow Villas).

ses-surviver

Re: Bequests

Postby ses-surviver » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:08 am

Goblinboy wrote:Thanks for the observation on the School of Philosophy's negative attitude to "do gooders". I felt there is a very strong double standard demonstrated by members I have encountered. The lack of commitment to any societal or community good beyond the membership of the SOP is also something that emphasises the cultish nature of the School of Philosophy.

I remember the same. The day of the original 'Live Aid' I found myself committed to moving the lawns at Stanhill Court, but will no group staying at the house, the kitchen had nothing to feed us and instead we ended up eating lunch - ( i.e. cheese Ploughman's Lunch) at one of the local pubs. Live Aid was on the TV everywhere and the mood of the nation was very bouyant - didn't stop the I.C. of the team expresseing very negative views of the whole event, though.

I forget the name of the charity, but there was 1 charity day to which the SES sent volunteers to rattle a tin (or rather to remain still and smile innanely) - I assume simply because the days schools were one of the many charities who benefitted from the collection. All that changed the following year, after the publicating of the 'Standard' article.

Would be interested in your thoughts on the School of Philosophy's political agenda. Like so many cults, I suspect that it attracts people of like values, who are interested in rules, imposing order and control. Apartheid seems an appropriate environment for fostering such views.

My only experience of the South African school was seeing their 'top group' or whatever during their stay at Waterperry. The stories that were relayed to me, gave me every impression that the school was working 'spiritually' to bring about the end of Apartheid.

Stanton

Postby Stanton » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:06 am

I don't know if anyone can verify this but I did hear that, when the subject of apartheiod was raised with Mc McLaren, he replied that those who oppresssed blacks in one incarnation would find themselves being oppressed in their next, i.e., what goes around comes around.

Return to “General discussion of SES”