Bequests

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.
erikdr

Policital views of SES

Postby erikdr » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:35 am

The viewpoint of Sir McLaren could be 'rightly represented'. When last year I met Paul van Ooyen, ex-head of Dutch SES and now still into Gurdjieff/Vedanta but with a new 'organisationless organisation' which does look less cultish to me than SES, I asked him about his viewpoint on the Indian caste system and his dealings with the Shankaracarya (he uses another one than SES London/Holland, after all there are 4 of them.)

After all Shankaracaryas are deeply enrooted in the Indian society including the (officially outlawed) caste system which at times is worse than Apartheid. His reply:
* He'd love to see it changed but Westerners are not really in a good position to do so.
* He tries to toe a middle line between freely expressing his opinion about Vedanta and Hinduism towards Indians and not upsetting his hosts.
* In his experience his Shankaracarya is quite liberal too, unlike the conservative Brahmins nearby who kick all 'untouchables' out of a 1 km zone around their temple. The Shankaracarya was known for organising temple wedding rituals for all castes, including untouchables, for free once or twice a year because otherwise they would not be able to have a Hindu wedding at all!
With folded palms,

<Erik>

NYC

Postby NYC » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:21 pm

Goblinboy wrote:[John] Jepsen was a middle manager in HR there [IBM]

great?an old-timey SES man in human resources?just the thing for tracking women into ?assistant? jobs and away from decision-making positions. Was Mr. Jepsen employed by IBM in Sydney or in Melbourne? Do you know what years?

Erikdr, which Shankaracharya is Paul van Oyen affiliated with now? www.rediff.com turns up some very interesting stories about all of them, including the modern addition of a fifth seat in Tamil Nadu.

Alban

Postby Alban » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:30 pm

Stanton wrote:I don't know if anyone can verify this but I did hear that, when the subject of apartheiod was raised with Mc McLaren, he replied that those who oppresssed blacks in one incarnation would find themselves being oppressed in their next, i.e., what goes around comes around.

So by the same measure it follows that Leon McLaren will come back as a St James / SES Girl.

erikdr

Policital views of SES

Postby erikdr » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:07 am

Erikdr, which Shankaracharya is Paul van Oyen affiliated with now? www.rediff.com turns up some very interesting stories about all of them, including the modern addition of a fifth seat in Tamil Nadu

Hi NYC,

The Shringeri one. According to Paul much more authentic than the one Mr. Lambie and friends are following now after the passing away of the Great original Guru. Indeed funny these stories, they look a bit like the Tibetan Buddhists with all their candidates for the 'true new reborn Karmapa'...

On
http://www.kosmopolis.nl/e/shring.html

and on his own website, www.pvanoyen.nl

you'll find quite a lot of English background info.

Enjoy!
With folded palms,

<Erik>

ET

Postby ET » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:29 am

Nice one, Alban! Oh I hope so much that he has!

Return to “General discussion of SES”