Famous people throughout the world attending the school

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.
nomad

Famous people throughout the world attending the school

Postby nomad » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:06 am

I was wondering if anybody knows anybody who is famous who attends the school or who was once a student of the school? Like John Travolta and Tom Cruise are famous for being Scientologists. I wonder if any celebs know the real history of the School of Practical Philosophy around the world. I betcha they don't. I know Hugh Jackman, the Australian actor has said in interviews that he's been doing it for 12 years.

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:24 am

There's Warren 'Alf Garnett' Mitchell and the film actress Emily Watson, who was in 'Breaking the Waves'.

sugarloaf

Postby sugarloaf » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:52 pm

I heard Jeremy Sinclair, partner of advertising moguls Charles and Maurice Saatchi is a long time member (He was a founder of Saatchi and Saatchi in 1970, and Chairman and co founder of M&C Saatchi)

Makes sense as Jeremy Sinclair (presumably the same one) is also listed as a Trustee of the Jyotirnidhi Nyasa Trust ? aim: to promote vedic philosophy and Sanscrit language. They promote the teaching of Shri Shantananda Saraswati, the very same SES Guru that Donald Lambie visits and whose teachings the SES follows.

erikdr

(In)famous..

Postby erikdr » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:09 pm

Well, to add a minor one:

The long-time head of the Brussels school, Henry (van der) Schoup, is a locally well-known television journalist. Both for Dutch and Belgian TV AFIK. Did in-depth interviews for many late night news reports etc...

In the Secret Cult also there is a section mentioning quite a few important or celeb people 'said to have' SES links, maybe also look there...

Regards,
With folded palms,

<Erik>

nomad

Postby nomad » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:42 am

I haven't got a copy of the great book "secret cult", can you please describe what is mentioned in here? I think we should make an effort to let the celebs know what this school is really about worldwide! I for one will be seeing Hugh Jackman and letting him know! I am sure he has no idea what is going on! He also got his wife involved: Deborah Lee-Furness, Australian actress.

erikdr

Celebs....

Postby erikdr » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:24 am

I haven't got a copy of the great book "secret cult", can you please describe what is mentioned in here?

You'll have to wait at least 2-3 weeks, I'm overloaded with many activities at present. If someone else in the forum likes PLEASE do this 'small' job, there are plenty around as far as I've read that do have access to the book. If willing to come to Amsterdam can even borrow mine for a few days to Xerox it, did so also when I was in NYC during my SES years and the (then) SOP member Xeroxing my copy promised to spread the word/text around more widely 0X
With folded palms,

<Erik>

nomad

Postby nomad » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:49 am

Thank you Ericdr or someone else, I will wait patiently.

non-conformist

Postby non-conformist » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:32 pm

Tom Grubb wrote:There's Warren 'Alf Garnett' Mitchell and the film actress Emily Watson, who was in 'Breaking the Waves'.

Ah yes, the marvellous Emily Watson who can do nothing wrong because she went to St James..... I remember her failing the speech competition miserably....

Daffy

Postby Daffy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 pm

That's a rather catty comment, non-confirmist. Who can say they never made any mistakes at school?

There's an interesting biography of Emily Watson here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001833/bio. It says: "After a self-described "sheltered" upbringing ..." - what an understatement!

And it says her mother is an English teacher - presumably meaning Katharine Watson, occasional contributor to this forum? (http://www.whyaretheydead.net/phpBB2/pr ... file&u=205).

non-conformist

sorry

Postby non-conformist » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:21 pm

Hi Daffy

Sorry! I've just re-read my post and it was indeed a tres catty comment. Put it down to being tired and over emotional.... nuff said. :drinking:

HoHumBug

Briefly in-famous

Postby HoHumBug » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:19 am

Dear non-conformist,

Emily Watson was not always a model SES product. She did serve the real truth in one genuine moment of independent thinking and was, probably unwittingly, the agent for causing the sad Lambie to show his true and shrivelled hand. On June 21 in the ?Attending the adult Schools? string Gandalf wrote :

The genesis and DNA of the SES brand is a funny amalgam of half-baked ?truths? riddled with contradictions : I have tried to briefly sketch it out, as I know it, in the topic 'St James and SES: genesis of the relationship'. Where it was marching 50 years ago and where it is marching now are definitely very different places but with all the spin, legal ducking and diving and PR froth it is not easy to see the kayak for the foam. But more of that some other time perhaps but K. Watson?s valiant efforts to bring a burst of sanity seem like a lone voice in the aloof, humbug-ridden, SES forest.

She knows better than anyone what a gruesome cocktail of suburban morality and snobbery led Lambie to first expel her daughter from the SES for ?disobeying? his direct order not to accept the starring role as Bess McNeill in Lars Trier?s brilliant ?Breaking the Waves? (because she would have to appear naked in a couple of scenes ? shock horror!) only to quickly re-admit her when she got an Oscar nomination. It is that kind of phoney morality that makes the SES such a slimy and intellectually bankrupt organisation. Where do the long skirts fit in? That?s another story.

Using the Nuremberg defence you could say that Lambie was ?only following orders? so to speak as the MacLaren legacy he had been left with included an obsession with the idea that women should ?surrender? to the SES and its leader without question so as to rid themselves of what he called ?always holding something back for themselves? . They could thereby hope to attain a male body in the next re-incarnation and thus progress to full liberation.
Of course the ?all that has now changed ?mantra will be sounded if you put that to current attendees. It hasn?t one bit of course. Everyone in SES knows, deep down, that women can?t help being inferior creatures on account of their nature.

ses-surviver

Postby ses-surviver » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:08 pm

Tom Grubb wrote:There's Warren 'Alf Garnett' Mitchell ...

I thought that he was more of a follower of the Gurdjieff/Ouspensky school than SES ... what with him having a role in the film Meetings with Remarkable Men?

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:47 pm

He talks about his Gurdjieff/Ouspensky studies in this interview: http://www.abc.net.au/rn/relig/spirit/s ... 391821.htm

It sounds like he's referring to the SES but its not completely clear.

ross nolan

warren mitchell /SES

Postby ross nolan » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:17 am

Question about Warren Mitchell and SES -- yes, it was the SES he refers to (it is explicit in the interview actually ) I heard the broadcast at the time and Mike amazingly had the whole web report on this site in a trice.

Incidentally I just came across a 'splinter' group apparently of ex SOP members who have set up a rival "secrets of the ages" sort of philosophy organization called the 'Academy of human development' with a set of esteemed philosophers and credo virtually indistinguishable from the SOP/SES (including the otherwise obscure Fiscino (sic) and conspicuously devoid of any more recent than 400 year old philosophers with tendencies to head down the same eastern mystic/hindu pathway. They operate only about I km from the local SES and peddle the same hotch potch of psuedo scientific/philosophical monologue and have the same obligatory meditation classes, retreats, courses (with fees ) etc etc -- and a not dissimilar sort of modus operandi -- secretive,obtuse , vague etc yet alluding to some great revelation and 'understanding' of the whole business of life,the universe and everything .......

Is there still a 'Georgist' organization in existence ? ie peddling the Henry George land tax and societal reform agenda that founded the SES -- it it'd day I think HG Wells, George Bernard Shaw and other British intellectual luminaries were associated with this utopian movement .
Skeptic

Saint James

Ian Brown

Postby Saint James » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:45 pm

I am very curious to know if the singer IAN BROWN is a member of SES

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story ... 91,00.html
"There is good and bad in Ian Brown's world, pure and impure", "prides himself on his intellectual curiosity - he reads voraciously, on all manner of obscure historical and spiritual subjects", "makes no apology for the fact that spirituality is a big part of his life"

Return to “General discussion of SES”