New School of Philosophy advertising

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.
Goblinboy

New School of Philosophy advertising

Postby Goblinboy » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:01 am

I know the SES has been posting advertising in the London Underground since God's dog was a pup, but didn't expect to see the same close to home.

Going through Flagstaff Station in Melbourne this morning and caught a glimpse of a small poster trumpteting "Know Thyself", advertising courses in "Philosophy", with a few phrases of the usual wording about wisdom, etc. The Melbourne school must be on a recruiting drive.

Not a word about it actually being a series of courses that lead to immersion in the Advaita Vedata branch of Hinduism. Some things don't seem to change.

Come on SOP / SES, why not bite the bullet and let the readers know what you're really on about? Show a bit of courage and be open about your offerings.

nomad

Postby nomad » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:21 am

I really think you should have stickers made up and post them on the ads! People must be warned what this is! If I were rich enough, I would have them made up! Maybe it would be cheap, who knows? I will be investigating for NYC though. I definitely plan on being aggressive! I wil be letting selective journalists know and maybe even the Internal Revenue Service!

ross nolan

deceptive advertising

Postby ross nolan » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:12 pm

GB, you are right about the Flagstaff posters -- the same old "Plato" head and vague claims . I have looked into the liability of Connex to 'suffering' to have misleading advertising -- I suggest a complaint to the appropriate officer might help .

The "Age" have tried to dodge any liability for carrying their ads despite being given enough information and sources to confirm the worst.

The old "freedom of speech" defence is trotted out and a sort of journalistic empathy with not being censored gets in the way -- they always claim that "no one else has ever complained" (get a friend to lodge a seperate complaint so you can refute this "must be you....." sort of defence . The local paper is unwilling to even look into then despite being given "secret cult" and websites (inc this one) -- protection of advertisers perhaps ?
Skeptic

Return to “General discussion of SES”