Sanskrit language - pros and cons

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.
Saint James

Pink Floyd - translation to Sanskrit

Postby Saint James » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:26 pm

thanks for the explanation in Sanskrit. WOW! Didn't really know it is so binary this Sanskrit language - almost like counting the number of lampposts in Tokyo, dividing it by 27 and then taking a deep breath.Hope the triatlon went well.

bella

Postby bella » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:37 pm

Don't think there's an "Oy", Ben. Maybe you're thinking of "Ow", or more properly, "au". Halanta pha (sort of), halanta la, but then I think we come undone, unless you want to take the letters one by one with consonants in halanta form and go with O, Y and D by themselves. So "Pink" wouldn't be a problem, but then you'd have to add the "Floyd" in a hammy, stilted British accent with a confused look on your face.

Free Thinker

Postby Free Thinker » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:45 pm

Personally, I enjoyed studying Sanskrit as I'm a language person and always like learning new ones.

And I don't think there's any difference between compulsory Sanskrit and compulsory French, Latin or Spanish.

The only difference is that those three languages have an immediate practical application - I've been able to speak to others in French and Spanish, and the latin helped my English immensely.

Sanskrit has no "use" aside from the way learning any new language would help the mind to develop, other than being able to read some of the original texts the SES likes to use. This could be really helpful in determining the true meaning, given that translations always change the meaning. But I wonder if anyone there is actually doing that.

Ben W

In defence of classics

Postby Ben W » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:09 am

I'm not sure where this thread is leading but I'll keep writing anyway. Actually I did enjoy sanskrit - at least to the level I wrote about. When it came to developng a vocabulary I lost all interst.

To me (as an amateur musician) I found the sounds fascinating - it was the first (only?) time in my life when I was given a theory and catalogue of human sounds.

At my day school I studied Latin until age 16 and still find great application of that language (actually much greater than Sanskrit) in understanding grammar and etymology.

It was stepfather who pushed me into Latin - at the time I wanted to learn German (there is a story about a German girl somewhere but I doubt we'll ever get that far) - but in retrospect I think it was a good choice.
Child member of SES from around 1967 to around 1977; Strongly involved in Sunday Schools ; Five brothers and sisters went to ST V and St J in the worst years

Jo-Anne Morgan

Postby Jo-Anne Morgan » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:41 am

Hi Ben,

Good choice with the Latin. I studied it to O-Level and really enjoyed it. It gave me a good grounding in grammar and was also very helpful for learning other languages, especially those with a case structure, e.g. German, Russian. Pity it's in decline. I think it's a must for the serious linguist.

Inspired by the SES I thought to teach myself Sanskrit, the alphabet if nothing else. I ordered a book but once it arrived I opened it, took one look and quickly closed it again. Don't know whether I'll ever bother now. Could do with a beginner's class but there don't seem to be too many around!

Alban

Postby Alban » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:18 pm

For your next challenge, could you translate the lyric of "Us and Them" by the same band.

:lol:

Alban

Return to “General discussion of SES”