Bullying and arpatheid in SES schools

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.
a different guest

Bullying and arpatheid in SES schools

Postby a different guest » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:52 am

I've had reports of bullying being an issue on both the aussie schools. The latest news is that, in one of the schools, intergrade bullying is such a problem they have divided the (small) playground into 3 areas with rules about what grade child can play in what area.

How ridiculous. Does trying to physically separate the children do anything to solve the problem? If this was a state school the ed dept (not to mention the parents) would be hanging, drawing and quartering the principal!

Personally, I blame the underlying philosophy. Why are my taxes funding this place?

And of course this measure does nothing to ease the bullying by exclusion that is in plague proportions within each grade level and the school is split on colour grounds, with 'brown' children only playing with other 'brown' children' and 'white' children only playing with other 'white' children.

Arpatheid is alive and well in the SES (or SOP or SoES). :(
Relatives with long-term involvement in the SES / SOP/ SoEP

bonsai

Postby bonsai » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:10 pm

a different guest wrote:Arpatheid is alive and well in the SES (or SOP or SoES). :(

The thing that probably upsets me the most about the SES (and for that matter any organised religion) is just how divisive it becomes.

It does not surprise me that there are reports of bullying in the SOP schools in Australia. Bullying was rife in the London schools whilst I was there and most of the staff were either oblivious to its presence or just didn't care.

Whilst I agree with you that segregation is not the answer, hopefully it may at least protect some kids. At the same time the only thing that segregation does is provide another rule or boundary to test or break.

I think the real cause of bullying in the SES/SOP/SoES childrens day schools comes from the total lack of attention to emotional health and the systematic disregard that one's emotions are important. Until the SES changes its philisophical approach to emotions and particularly those of children then the levels of violence and aggression will remain high in these schools.

It is not unique to the St James' or other SES/SOP schools that emotional health is overlooked. This seems to be quite common in a lot of schools with most teachers feeling inadequate qualified to address the issues. At least two charities in the UK are trying to address the issues of emotional health in schools. Samaritans has put together a package aimed at empowering teachers to educate kids aged 14-16 in emotional health. Details can be found at http://www.samaritans.org/know/deal/index.html
The DEAL pack is being sent to every Secondary school in the UK including private schools. I wonder what St James will make of it?

Also Antidote is a charity that is dedicated to raising emotional health particularly in schools and sees it as an issue that will improve learning and community. http://www.antidote.org.uk/ The trouble with Antidote is that they tend to get called in to help out when things have gone totally wrong in a school and therefore a lot of passable schools are just getting by.

Bonsai

Goblinboy

Re: Bullying and arpatheid in SES schools

Postby Goblinboy » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:25 pm

Erasmus's web page tells us:http://www.erasmus.vic.edu.au/Home/home/About-Erasmus

"The school teaches a Philosophy of Unity."

Evidently?

And the headmaster assures us that http://www.erasmus.vic.edu.au/Text/1118895023000-1324/From-the-Headmaster

"Children thrive in the tranquil, orderly and happy atmosphere that prevails here. "

So those who do, do; and those who can't, teach, it would seem.

a different guest wrote: in one of the schools, intergrade bullying is such a problem they have divided the (small) playground into 3 areas with rules about what grade child can play in what area...

... the school is split on colour grounds, with 'brown' children only playing with other 'brown' children' and 'white' children only playing with other 'white' children.

Wonder how Erasmus parents feel about parting with AUD$6K for this standard of school management?

Return to “General discussion of SES”