Countering deception ...

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.
ab

Countering deception ...

Postby ab » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:20 am

Greetings all,

Some of you may remember me from a brief, ranting contribution I made to the board early last year. I was the guy who was so embarrassed by his experience of being duped by the SES that, four years later, I still hadn’t managed to find the courage to even share it with my wife. Actually, I can probably dig up a link to my tirades if I try hard enough … let’s see now … where would it have been … oh, yes! Here we go:

http://www.whyaretheydead.net/phpBB2/vi ... ight=#8193

You might be interested to know that I *did* tell my wife – shortly after sharing my experiences here, in fact. She found it absolutely hysterical, and thought no less of me whatsoever.

Anyway, a recent phenomenon sweeping the nation (and constantly being quoted to/at me) has reminded me of my experiences in cult-like activity.

The quoters in question are by-and-large young, female and members of that particular breed of folk who I consider susceptible to SES-like scams: seekers of meaning, sufferers of dissatisfaction and disillusionment, etc.

The phenomenon should probably rename nameless, as I would not wish for an expression of my personal, objective view of an idea (ie: ‘rubbish’) to be misconstrued as defamatory or slanderous in any way. Suffice to say that it starts with ‘The’ and rhymes with ‘Secret’.

Seeing and hearing signs that my friends have been misled and fed nonsense philosophy naturally brought my thoughts back to my own experiences of dupe-hood, and I recently spent a lazy afternoon revisiting one of my favourite Google topics.

Is it just me, or is there now a wealth of SES information online that didn’t exist last year? For instance, I’m sure that http://secretcult.tripod.com/ is new.

Reading that link made me wonder – has anybody on these boards had personal experience with making a stand against the particular breed of rubbish that the SES have served up to us? ie:

1. formally complaining to relevant consumer protection bodies about deceptive or misleading SES/SoP/etc advertising?

2. requesting a refund from the SES on the grounds of misrepresentation?

3. actively sharing SES information acquired independently (okay, I mean web searches ;)) with current ‘philosophy’ ‘students’?

I’d be interested in hearing of your experiences – and since various posts here lead me to believe that there is some reluctance to discuss negative aspects of the ‘school’ in a public forum such as a discussion board, feel free to PM me if you would prefer.

Cheers,
ab

bonsai

Re: Countering deception ...

Postby bonsai » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:43 am

ab wrote:Reading that link made me wonder – has anybody on these boards had personal experience with making a stand against the particular breed of rubbish that the SES have served up to us? ie:

1. formally complaining to relevant consumer protection bodies about deceptive or misleading SES/SoP/etc advertising?

2. requesting a refund from the SES on the grounds of misrepresentation?

3. actively sharing SES information acquired independently (okay, I mean web searches ;)) with current ‘philosophy’ ‘students’?

Hi ab,

Good to see you back and I'm pleased that you have told your wife. There is no shame to being caught in such a system and at least your healthy scepticism has serverd you well and allowed you to not get caught in the system.

On your points above:

In answer to point 2, my father has explained to me that anyone coming in off the streets to attend a introductory course, in the UK at least, can claim a refund at any time if the course is not what they expect.

As to informing students of the alternative view there have been leafletting efforts in the past. Most of these have been targetted at the parents of the St James schools who may be unaware of the philisophical content of their kids education. Most recently there was some leafletting outside the ERT conference that seeks to extend the reach of the St James paradigm and make it available to the teaching profession at large. There was a thread on this action but unfortunately I can't find it at the moment.

Bonsai

ET

Postby ET » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:02 pm

Most recently there was some leafletting outside the ERT conference that seeks to extend the reach of the St James paradigm and make it available to the teaching profession at large. There was a thread on this action but unfortunately I can't find it at the moment.

Here it is! Thought I'd be of some help!

http://www.whyaretheydead.net/phpBB2/vi ... .php?t=617

It's titled "The Teacher and Society" and you have to read down a little way to find out what happened.
Pupil at St James Girl's School from 1979-1989, from age 4-14. Parents ex-members of SES.

Free Thinker

Postby Free Thinker » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:43 am

I've become familiar with "the secret" only in the last few weeks, and I have found what you stated to be the case, mostly young women who are dissatisfied with various areas of their lives.

Unfortunately, when I read the postings of people who are "into" The Secret, all I can think of is my years in The SoP. Yuck!

Free

Postby Free » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:50 pm

<delete>

Return to “General discussion of SES”