Laughter is the best medicine

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.
Cousin It

Postby Cousin It » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:25 pm

One response to the lunacy that goes on at the School is to laugh. In fact it may even be therapeutic to do so!
So, let's see who can come up with the most ridiculous story re the School and its leaders. I'll open the batting.

Once while on residential in Melbourne Mr Lambie tripped over and injured himself on his way to an evening meeting. Not especially funny. But 2 things were very funny:
    1. Mr Jepsen arriving at the meeting with a HUGE smirk on his face.
    2. A ridiculous story that circulated among the students as to how "great men were often attacked by rakshasas". This patently ridiculous explanation was accepted by the student body while the infinitely more likely explanation of clumsiness was instantly dismissed.
So, what do others say (to use a School expression)? Any funny stories?
Cheers,
Cousin

bluegreen

Re: Laughter is the best medicine

Postby bluegreen » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:34 pm

That's so funny Cousin It. Made me lol
St James Girls School 1977-1981

stiltrubld

A paradigm shift.....?

Postby stiltrubld » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:08 pm

deleted
Last edited by stiltrubld on Thu May 24, 2012 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
SES: 1990 - 2009 London (Female)

Cousin It

Postby Cousin It » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:44 pm

stiltrubld wrote:Not so funny in the original if you were subjected to it though.....if you were a woman that is!

The way of talking and the patronising nature of the advice are pretty funny in retrospect although I remember sitting through such talks and finding them rivetting. What was I thinking?
My funny story about advice.
I had a former tutor who was a very ineffective and unremarkable person. He had a bitter failed marriage behind him and had no contact with his children who disowned him. One day, while on residential, he felt compelled to ring me and give me advice as to how I should educate my children. [I'd just removed 2 from Erasmus School.] He was not expecting the reply he received, which was along the lines of "If I wanted advice as to how to raise my children you would not be someone I would ask."
Cheers,
Cousin

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:08 am

Dunno if this counts as funny (and what the parents were doing wrong I have no idea as I know a number of healthy vego's), but the enforced vegetarianism ended giving the kids so many health problems (anemia being the least of them) that my relo's were forced to start letting the kids eat meat.
Relatives with long-term involvement in the SES / SOP/ SoEP

stiltrubld

Postby stiltrubld » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:56 am

deleted
Last edited by stiltrubld on Thu May 24, 2012 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cousin It

Postby Cousin It » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:36 pm

stiltrubld wrote:...how long it should take for a 'lady' to do a poo! Too much information!

Wow!! Hilarious!!! And just a bit creepy.
I remember being give the edict: "Get up when you wake up."
Being a good philosopher I took it to theart. The first night I woke (nature called) and then realised that now I had woken I had to get up. I trooped down to the kitchen and looked at the clock hoping it was at least 5 am. To my horror it was 12.45. Longest night of my life.
Cheers,
Cousin

Free

Postby Free » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:09 am

<delete>
Last edited by Free on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cousin It

Postby Cousin It » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:22 am

Free wrote:In fact "get up when you wake up" was actually advice to MacLaren when he was in his "lounge around all day in bed" mode. It was just his guru telling him to get the hell up, bathe, dress and get on with it. Just as one would tell a surly adolescent.

Thanks Free. I love it. Now I know where that came from. I never met MacLaren and didn't realise he was so indolent. Here's another funny story.
On residential I was having trouble staying awake during morning meditation. I decided to open my eyes and when I did I noticed that of the group of 8 only myself and 1 other were awake. The rest were slumped over and deeply asleep.
At the end of the meditation the tutor called for observations. I was considerably amused to hear everyone give descriptions of how alert they had been during the meditation and how heightened their awareness had been.
Cheers,
Cousin

Cousin It

Atkinson on Corporal Punishment

Postby Cousin It » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:58 am

I hope this is not in bad taste but I found it hilarious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBeguUvuDzs
Listening to Debenham it strikes me that Atkinson is doing a perfect parody.
Cheers,
Cousin

Tootsie

Postby Tootsie » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:13 am

After residentials and the diet of mostly bread and cheese I found myself to be constipated when returning home. I found it interesting in Dorine Tolleys book she mentions that Mr MacLaren also had chronic constipation and she had give him a laxative in his morning glass of milk although he did not know about the laxatives. Wonder how many other philosophy students had the same complaint?

Cousin It

Postby Cousin It » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:18 am

Tootsie wrote:After residentials and the diet of mostly bread and cheese I found myself to be constipated when returning home. Wonder how many other philosophy students had the same complaint?

I certainly did. After a residential I used to go to a steak house and have a huge hit of red meat to get back to normal diet (although that did nothing for the constipation).
One guy in my group had this wankerish idea that surrounded by the wisdom of the teaching you hardly needed to eat at all. As you recall we all served each other and the ladies used to hate sitting beside him at dinner.
"Would you care for anything to eat Mr. R."
"Oh, yes please. I'll have an almond."
Cheers,
Cousin

Tootsie

Postby Tootsie » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:36 am

Wonder how the ladies went with the 3 minute poo rule after a residential?

stiltrubld

Postby stiltrubld » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:57 pm

deleted
Last edited by stiltrubld on Thu May 24, 2012 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

bluegreen

Postby bluegreen » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:02 pm

This has made me chuckle so much. Especially as years after leaving SES my dad insists on getting up when he wakes up and is always up around 4 or 5am. He also says that we don't need more than 6 hours sleep a night, something else he got from back in his SES days. But now he has retired he spends hours in the afternoon asleep on the sofa. I should time his sleep hours but I wouldn't be so mean. The chances are he's getting the full 9 hours that I've been arguing I need, for most of my life.
St James Girls School 1977-1981

Return to “General discussion of SES”