SES is a New Religious Movement according to C of E.

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.
woodgreen

SES is a New Religious Movement according to C of E.

Postby woodgreen » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:37 pm

The Church of England's website contains a section on NRM' s and sets out its policy towards them. The SES is named as a "personal growth" NRM. So it's official!

http://www.cofe.anglican.org/info/newre ... ne2009.pdf
Ex-SES Member. (Member for 3 years in late nineties).

bluemoon

Re: SES is a New Religious Movement according to C of E.

Postby bluemoon » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:25 am

Thanks, Woodgreen. That's very interesting.

They say they provide:

"Pastoral care for people involved with an NRM or AS issue"

Since SES is a named NRM (New Religious Movement) on their site, I may look into that.

Bluemoon
Last edited by bluemoon on Thu May 24, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SES London, 1990-2009, Female

woodgreen

Postby woodgreen » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:03 pm

Bluemoon,

I do hope you can pursue this avenue. I think there are people in the C of E who care and can probably help even within the constraints of their, and Inform's, policy. A sort of "hands off but we do know there is a problem" policy! From what I have read I think it was a C of E clergyman in London who raised the alarm about the SES because he was concerned about the number of people seeking his advice after being in the SES. That seems to have started the links to Inform.

This forum has filled in a lot of blanks for me about what the SES' views on women, gay people,disabled, etc. were really all about. It seems (as ever) to go back to McLaren's muddled-up, (eastern and western), old - fashioned views, in which he wrapped reincarnation up with Christianity. Reincarnation became an easy answer to anything or anybody that was not "perfect". The McLaren Foundation website has some scary stuff on it in this respect. Apparently some "perfect" Rishi's met in the 800's AD, and decided that England (Christian) needed a shot of discipline or lessons ( from the (Hindu) Gita). McLaren is being hailed as a part of bringing this "shot" to the West through the Schools(s).(sound familiar? - Maharishi et al.). Some scary double speak on that site too; best ignored I think.

Anyway I digress, good luck in finding some help through the C of E.

woodgreen

Postby woodgreen » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:20 pm

Addendum Bluemoon and anyone else. The Rishi's met in 1855 apparently. Not that long ago..............!!!!

woodgreen

Postby woodgreen » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:46 pm

Bluemoon - one thing to be aware of. I didn't really want to post this, but the St. James' School Chaplain, according to the SES, is the Rev. Rob ( or Bob) Marshall, quite a leading light in the C of E's media staff. He was at St. Augustine's in the old days ( This Forum and Clara's book suggest that the school had an "understanding" with the Anglican Church across from the School and attended services there). I think the Rev. Marshall took pity on them. He is now at nearby St. Mary Abbots in Kensington (?) and still seems to be trying to help the SES - or maybe Boddy has him on the PR front. He holds some assemblies and services for the School. I have some links but do not want to post them if they will upset Rev. Rob and the C of E. Rob appears on "Thought for the Day on BBc 4 and 2. Oh Dear, it is so difficult.

bonsai

Postby bonsai » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:09 am

woodgreen wrote:Bluemoon - one thing to be aware of. I didn't really want to post this, but the St. James' School Chaplain, according to the SES, is the Rev. Rob ( or Bob) Marshall, quite a leading light in the C of E's media staff. He was at St. Augustine's in the old days ( This Forum and Clara's book suggest that the school had an "understanding" with the Anglican Church across from the School and attended services there). I think the Rev. Marshall took pity on them. He is now at nearby St. Mary Abbots in Kensington (?) and still seems to be trying to help the SES - or maybe Boddy has him on the PR front. He holds some assemblies and services for the School. I have some links but do not want to post them if they will upset Rev. Rob and the C of E. Rob appears on "Thought for the Day on BBc 4 and 2. Oh Dear, it is so difficult.

Just to say, Rev Rob Marshall was not the vicar at St Augustines in Clara's time or for the majority of time St James schools and the SES were based in the Queens Gate buildings. The vicar was Father Hewitt, who is also quoted in the Secret Cult showing concern for the St James and the SES.

If I were to be religious, I'd end up being C of E because of Father Hewitt.

Bonsai

bluemoon

Postby bluemoon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:45 am

Thanks woodgreen,

Woodgreen wrote:

The McLaren Foundation website has some scary stuff on it in this respect. Apparently some "perfect" Rishi's met in the 800's AD, and decided that England (Christian) needed a shot of discipline or lessons ( from the (Hindu) Gita). McLaren is being hailed as a part of bringing this "shot" to the West through the Schools(s).(sound familiar? - Maharishi et al.). Some scary double speak on that site too; best ignored I think.

Have you a link to the Mclaren Foundation site for this info?

That's very interesting about the 'perfect' Rishi's, and meeting in 1855 (as you amended it later) makes sense. I still think things may not be quite as simple as simply moving along and ending up with the tragic harm that occurred in the past. I still wonder if things were not more organised than that in terms of the ideas about women etc from the Hindu tradition.
Last edited by bluemoon on Thu May 24, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bonsai

Postby bonsai » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:07 am

bluemoon wrote:Have you a link to the Mclaren Foundation site for this info?
The MacLaren Foundation website is at http://www.maclarenfoundation.net.

bluemoon

Postby bluemoon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:20 am

Thanks Bonsai, if woodgreen can say under which heading the info about the Rishi's is that would be great.

Here's a 'quote of the month' from that site by Leon Maclaren (there's plenty of them - this ones at the bottom of the list):

"You do have to hear the knowledge. Now people think they do of course, because in these inner little circles, what happens is everything that enters the circle is interpreted in the terms of that circle, its natural difficulty over the meaning of the word. The word is simple enough, its meaning is clear, but it is interpreted in the terms of whatever circle the indiviual happens to be in, and is to that extent changed."
Last edited by bluemoon on Thu May 24, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

woodgreen

Postby woodgreen » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:08 pm

Hi Bluemoon

It is under "The Wider Context" on the McLaren Foundation site. Happy reading!!

woodgreen

Postby woodgreen » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:29 pm

Hi Bonsai

Sorry if I got the Rev Rob's connection to the SES wrong. But as you will see from his blog profile he did serve at St. Augustine's at some point. Another coincidence maybe....?....http://www.media33.co.uk/rob_marshall.htm

bonsai

Postby bonsai » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:35 pm

woodgreen wrote:Sorry if I got the Rev Rob's connection to the SES wrong. But as you will see from his blog profile he did serve at St. Augustine's at some point.

Not a coincidence at all, just he took over when Father Hewitt retired, which was around 1995-96

He has definitely presided over church services for St James but his history with the schools doesn't go that far back as you suggest.

I wasn't particularly clear either, sorry.

Bonsai

woodgreen

Postby woodgreen » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:44 am

Despite the C of E identifying the SES as a New Religous Movement and impling that it does not engage with such bodies, the SES are listed in those endorsing the "Just This Day" event in November at St. Martin in the Fields, Trafalgar Square.In fact it's an SES fest, ST. James, Lucca and all the usual supects listed.
I give up, but have sent an e-mail to the Church asking them to look into it.
http://www.justthisday.org/home.php

Abel Holzing

Postby Abel Holzing » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:21 am

woodgreen wrote:... the SES are listed in those endorsing the "Just This Day" event in November at St. Martin in the Fields, Trafalgar Square. In fact it's an SES fest, ST. James, Lucca and all the usual supects listed.

The SES does not only endorse the event, it set it up in the first place and is the driving force behind it to this day.

Elizabeth Edmunds, who is a member of the SES (or at least was at the time), came up with the idea and took it to Mr Lambie who encouraged her to take it further.

This is well documented, for instance here (http://timesonline.typepad.com/faith/2007/11/as-olmert-bush.html) in an article from 2007, where it says:

"The Just This Day initiative was thought up by Elizabeth Edmunds, a British grandmother, who believes that stillness can unite us. The Dalai Lama has joined them. Silence was kept in parts of Israel and Iceland, and a quiet service at St Martins in the Field in London was attended by a Rabbi, a bishop and a Lama. The Muslim Council of Britain was represented and said it was very keen to get involved at future events.

"It gives a chance for the power of stillness, which can achieve more than chatting" Elizabeth Edmunds said".

If you google the Admin address details given by WhoIs (http://www.whois.net) for the JustThisDay domain (http://www.justthisday.org), you will find that it is the address of Jeremy Sinclair, a senior member of the SES, and his family.

woodgreen

Postby woodgreen » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:32 pm

Thanks Abel. The Cof E have already replied and are concerned about the NRM links and who is behind the event. I'll pass on the info.

regards

woodgreen

Return to “General discussion of SES”