Kind of general ramble - you'll see.

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.
Just someone

Kind of general ramble - you'll see.

Postby Just someone » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:03 pm

See, here's the thing: Love is worshipped in the ses's teaching.

That's not to say it's anything heart-felt - it's just accorded worshipful, deferential words, because, well, you can't go against Love, can you, and expect to keep your teacher's street cred?

Falseness all around, puddles of it.
Broken people expecting hospitality, getting societal bandits wearing the aegis of knowledgeable kind souls.

Those are harsh words. People are a mixture; they think they're one thing, but they're mixed up with good intentions, poor appreciation of what they are and reliance on someone else's 'authority.' In a way, everyone's innocent.

However, I've heard the words 'false authority' used in another context and respected their use, which happened to apply to a sub-unit of the Catholic Church.

So, 'false authority', yes, that seems a good description here.
People just seem to love (!) 'authority' that's backed by plausible, perhaps a bit mysterious, complexly rooted arcane knowledge ... if you could just meet the people up the chain who've studied long this stuff, you'd not know a thing to have a reasonably questioning discussion with 'em.

Which segues nicely to Plato.
I quite took a shine to Socrates, he seemed a genuine kind. Mr Plato, I can live without. Slick arguments from a position of 'authority' with ne'er a loving glance in sight. What happened to Western thinking, thanks to the rush to 'authority' as provided by Mr Plato? Cold, that's what. If you want to see cold, take a look at a Jesuit church inside. Drive you nuts.

You know, maybe Ficino was the real deal - how'd you ever find out, though: the descriptions are via the eyes of Plato-influenced writers.

Quite a ramble, this post.
Which segues to ..

I've admired the writing style in all of the posts I've trawled through and that's a lot of them. If you're ex-pupils of the day schools, you surely learned how to write. Except they (the posts) mostly take a long time to make a point. Good writing though.

Whether you had the skill to shake off the French influence and read what looks more like Anglo-Saxon to my ears, who knows?

Hope you managed it & if not, well, you didn't miss too much anyway.
Regards

Just someone

Just someone

After the ramble

Postby Just someone » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:18 pm

Sometime around 1967 was when I joined SES London.
The first 3 or 4 terms were heady, liberating. The people in the groups were interested & enjoying the general openness that practising the exercise, meeting and discussing the vast ideas produced.
The official SES-ers were courteous and very co-operative and generally forgiving (I know now) of our 'freshness'.
The announcement that meditation was the next step came like a bombshell - I can recall the shock of hearing the tutor saying it.

It's no good, I just can't for the life of me do a chronology, it'll just have to be stream-of-consciousness - sorry.
There was so much happening and it lasted for so long and left such an impact (crater?!) that I'd have to write an autobiography to get it all down.

Meditation -- some trip that was, to begin with.
Then through the rigours of what was called Middle School - calligraphy, sounding, extra 'duties' weeks & week-ends away, measure. Extra duties? I had 1 week-end day off in 4 -- and a beautiful girl-friend who wasn't in ses.

That beauty is my wife: patient, strong, ever holding the base as I soldiered on and on and on, and on; next level, next level, more 'duties', running this, teaching that, attending something else.
Until, finally, my mind gave way.
That was interesting. Then, the strength of my beautiful partner was tested. It didn't break though you could say I did.

LM? A powerful man and from what I've read in the other posts, please forgive me for this, but there's scant knowledge of this man showing. A 'searing judge of character', 'blessed' with non-mundane power; he could & did affect the lives of others by other means than openly writing the material & overseeing the people - you'd be laughing if I said what I really mean!

It's over 20 years since I 'left' and it's still there, the .... I don't know what: it's a mix.

Am I sorry for it all? No; you can't turn back time, you can't un-make a mistake, undo hurt, undo absence, re-live the children's childhood with them (they became StJ escapees about the time my mind made its own escape.)

Am I sad about it? Yes, very, when recalling. I don't do it often.

Did we get any help? Yes -- Dr Michael Cox - thanks, what a man. Mr William Whiting -- thanks for being there. Neither made themselves absent.

What could be done about the SES? Who knows? They won't accept help, let alone ask for it or realise they need some. There's no rational dialogue to be had - how do you say "you've inherited an iron rule & you need to let that go"? and expect the conversation to go forward after that! Makes you smile, no?
After all, LM was told by Dr Roles he could choose what kind of school to start: based either on brotherhood or discipline.
LM was not a man of half measures.

Now, a lighter note.

'My life' feels like bread being made. Has anyone's life been free of trouble & doubt? Probably not on this Earth.

Is there true, boundless freedom?

Yes, absolutely Yes.
Regards

Just someone

bonsai

Re: After the ramble

Postby bonsai » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:28 pm

Just someone wrote:Am I sad about it? Yes, very, when recalling. I don't do it often.

Welcome Just someone. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences, which judging both by the statement above and the coherence with which your posts are written, are somewhat difficult to express. Many of us struggle with experiences from our times in the SES and of course the guidance from the school makes it so clear that the past cannot be gotten back or relived. For many of us it has left a profound mark, which may never go away.

Just someone wrote:What could be done about the SES? Who knows? They won't accept help, let alone ask for it or realise they need some. There's no rational dialogue to be had - how do you say "you've inherited an iron rule & you need to let that go"? and expect the conversation to go forward after that! Makes you smile, no?
After all, LM was told by Dr Roles he could choose what kind of school to start: based either on brotherhood or discipline.
LM was not a man of half measures.

I think you are correct with your assessment. The school collectively and many of those occupying the senior positions of authority do not care to observe, respond to or address the criticisms and the failings of the organisation. In that sense all we here can do is continue to make the rest of the world aware so that those who might come in contact with the School can make their own choices with as much knowledge as possible.

Just someone wrote:'My life' feels like bread being made. Has anyone's life been free of trouble & doubt? Probably not on this Earth.

Is there true, boundless freedom?

Yes, absolutely Yes.

I agree that there is true, boundless freedom but it comes with accepting the human condition with all it’s flaws rather than denying it and pretending we’re something we’re not.
Bonsai

Just someone

Re: Kind of general ramble - you'll see.

Postby Just someone » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:19 pm

Thanks for your kind response, Bonsai.

Just to clear any doubt, the 'teaching' I was involved in wasn't in the day schools!
Hmm, could have been a bit scary, reading that!
Regards

Just someone

Tootsie

Postby Tootsie » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:12 am

Interesting post by Just Someone. He says 'What could be done about the SES? Who knows?' I think he is talking from his heart, we cannot change the past so it is better to move on and not seek revenge. I think the SES will change itself and move to Dr Roles idea of Brotherhood. Discipline has had its day. This forum can remind people of the mistakes from the past but its up to the people in the organisation to learn from their experiences and change. We will see.

bonsai

Postby bonsai » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:58 am

Just someone wrote:Just to clear any doubt, the 'teaching' I was involved in wasn't in the day schools!

I can assure everyone here that there was no difference in the "teaching" taught at the children's day schools and at the adult philosophy school.

One of the real differences though between the two bit was the pressure on children to really believe the "teaching" compared to expectation on adults. In that sense the SES did really expect the children from the St James's school to provide the next generation of leadership. It is very much like many cults trying to recruit from universities and colleges.

Recently speaking to some former St James pupils who have left in the last 5 years, much of this pressure on pupils does seem to have been lifted. According to chap I was talking to rather than 90%+ of the 6th form joining a foundation group when I was at school, the levels joining these days are less than 10%.

Bonsai

daska

Postby daska » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:51 pm

Just someone wrote:I've admired the writing style in all of the posts I've trawled through and that's a lot of them. If you're ex-pupils of the day schools, you surely learned how to write. Except they (the posts) mostly take a long time to make a point. Good writing though.

ROFLMAO

In other words we're verbose, convoluting and potentially tedious if you're the kind of person who just wants to cut to the chase (says me recognising myself as one of the culprits). Perhaps it was a result of having to sit through so many philosophy lessons (day and evening)? And no telly meant more reading, puzzles and crosswords etc.

Just someone

Postby Just someone » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:33 pm

Hello cheerful one!

I really do admire the writing, no tongue in cheek!
I can't write like that, not for toffee. Writing's such a slow medium for me.

Perhaps a bit hasty about getting to the point, though - glad it made you smile!
Regards

Just someone

daska

Postby daska » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:02 pm

It's something I frequently laugh about, I also use it in interviews when they ask about skills and faults. I'm good at giving detail - sometimes too much but I can be precise.

Just someone

Postby Just someone » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:34 pm

Tootsie wrote:Interesting post by Just Someone. He says 'What could be done about the SES? Who knows?' I think he is talking from his heart, we cannot change the past so it is better to move on and not seek revenge. I think the SES will change itself and move to Dr Roles idea of Brotherhood. Discipline has had its day. This forum can remind people of the mistakes from the past but its up to the people in the organisation to learn from their experiences and change. We will see.

Agreeing with this, Tootsie.
Change never stops.

Grass does grow through concrete, as we all have seen - so it's not just a pretty metaphor.

If the ses survives, the young will change its attitude.
Regards

Just someone

Return to “General discussion of SES”