'Secret' mantras

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.
Still Searching

Re: 'Secret' mantras

Postby Still Searching » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:30 pm

Dwelling in the Past is a fitting name for this poster. I ave been a member of the Perth SOP for the past 20 years and have never experienced anything like the events or practices described in this post.
It's true the School does have cultish tendencies, but by and large it is a quite benign organisation.
People are free to come and go as they wish, there is no dress code and no pressure to engage in second line work.
It is unfair and untrue to label every school as being representative of what went on in London and Sydney 30 years ago.
Without question some people suffered abuse in the past and are entitled to speak about it. However, much has changed since 1993. Many people have attended the school and have benefitted from their time there.
What is the purpose of this post by Dwelling in the Past if not to create mischief?

ManOnTheStreet

Postby ManOnTheStreet » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:44 pm

Still Searching,

While I cannot speak for DitP, I think the purpose of his/her post was to provide context regarding the character of the Mavros and the kind of school they ran. While it is highly likely that the current SOP has 'moved on' to more humane pastures, this does not mean we should forget its history. It might seem absurd that anyone could remain in an organisation like this, however as I remember, Mrs Mavro runs the Sydney SFSK in much the same fashion.

As a general point: saying "I didn't experience any of this" is not an argument for the benign nature of the School as a whole. Painting a picture of the place requires consideration of everyone's point of view, and that is why yours is also valuable.

I agree that it is unfair to label every School a being representative of what went on in London and Sydney 30 years ago, but this is not to say that we shouldn't be wary regarding some of the ideas promoted in those Schools. They are obviously a lot more cautious now about the way they get their ideas across to the students, but it is my impression that the fundamental ideas themselves have not changed significantly. Leon MacLaren is still a revered figure in the SOP - I think it a legitimate question to ask why this is still the case if the current leaders have really changed their thinking.

You say that the School does have cultish tendencies - can you name a few?

MOTS

sydneykatieking

Postby sydneykatieking » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:51 pm

What is the purpose of this post by Dwelling in the Past if not to create mischief?[/quote]

Dear Perth SOPer, this forum was established many years ago and multitudes of first-hand witnesses and 'School' survivors have responded, participated and contributed to this beneficial website. Aside from the odd troll, no one here is interested in playing games or creating 'mischief' for anyone. We have in this forum what was never permitted when we were trapped in the SES/SOP/SFSK mindset: access to knowledge and information. And a fearlessness in speaking our minds, from our hearts, for the general welfare for anyone who takes the time to log on.

You may, perhaps, discover that we survivors all have one very telling virtue in common: we all love the truth. Yes, the truth. Lack of the truth in the 'school' was a big reason many peope left. People who love the truth just hate being lied to and despise people who tell lies and disrespect personal liberties. In other words, you may find on this forum people who feel a duty of care to those who log on, seeking clarification and wisdom. It stems from a sense of responsibility to raise the alarm and speak out about corruption and deceit. I'm sure you are familiar with the concept that all it takes for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing. This forum is full of good people who are doing something to confront evil, even if in a modest way.

Before you judge any poster as a 'mischief' maker, have a long, long, focussed look at what has been written here. Most of what you will read is very mentally healthy, morally uplifting, and skeptical of the 'school' hierarchy as detrimental to human rights.

However, if you are sincere about Perth SOP and you are sure it is a good place to be and devote your life to, then I am happy for you and I wish you all the best luck in the world. I am curious, however, as to why, if things are good and proper in your 'school' why you have bothered to reach out to this forum. But, while you're here: welcome!

In good will, I ask these genuine questions: who manages your SOP's finances? Are the printed financials published and readily available for all donating members to view? Is your accountant or CPA an independent professional, or a SOP member? Are you sure you know where all the money is going? When's the last time your books were audited by a professional outsider? Whose names are actually on the titles for any SOP Perth property? Have your leaders made just as large a financial contribution to your real estate as everyone else? Can you be sure just who has the vested interest in the continuation of your SOP?

Is your SOP so structured that if there was trouble at the top would you know about it? Do you have a say in how your SOP is organized, or is it an elitist, exclusive in-crowd which makes all the decisions. Does your SOP conform to what every red-blooded Aussie mate would recognize as democratic and egalitarian?

Can you tell everyone about your SOP -- your parents, your boss, the guys at work, at the footy or cricket. Or have you been sworn to secrecy?

Do you really know your leaders? Where do they come from? How is it they are your leaders and not someone else? Were they chosen or elected and by whom? Do you have the power to expel them if they prove dishonest, corrupt, unethical or do something illegal? Are they upstanding, highly ethical, balanced individuals who are not afraid of dissent and disagreement? Are men and women treated with equal respect, or is there rampant sexism, which treats females like second-class citizens. Are women born with all the human rights as a man, or is her role "to serve, to please and be a creative force for a man"? Are you allowed to love as you so choose?

I lived and went to university in Perth/Fremantle for a couple of years in the 90s and loved every minute of it. It's a special place, if terribly isolated from the rest of Australia. I hope your SOP Perth is making a positive contribution to Western Australia.

Cheers, mate.
Sydney SOP survivor 1969-1980, proud contributor to the expose, Secret Cult.

Dwellingonthepast

Postby Dwellingonthepast » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:03 am

Q: "What is the purpose of this post by Dwelling in the Past if not to create mischief?"

A: "In the absence of information, who (or) what we assume is responsible ends up saying a lot more about us than it does about anyone or anything else." -John Green

Daffy

Postby Daffy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:05 pm

ManOnTheStreet wrote:As a general point: saying "I didn't experience any of this" is not an argument for the benign nature of the School as a whole. Painting a picture of the place requires consideration of everyone's point of view, and that is why yours is also valuable.

I agree that it is unfair to label every School a being representative of what went on in London and Sydney 30 years ago, but this is not to say that we shouldn't be wary regarding some of the ideas promoted in those Schools. They are obviously a lot more cautious now about the way they get their ideas across to the students, but it is my impression that the fundamental ideas themselves have not changed significantly. Leon MacLaren is still a revered figure in the SOP - I think it a legitimate question to ask why this is still the case if the current leaders have really changed their thinking.

Well said MOTS - and the same applies to the SES' children's schools including St James.

carolynscott

Postby carolynscott » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:57 pm

I thought. That we all had the same mantra and it had to be that way for colllective conscismess.mine read a three letter Indian word meaning harmlessness.it took 6 months for it toroll easily in mind
But once masteered I enjoyed it. It was really the ng that I benefitted from.

Return to “General discussion of SES”