Recent experience of the SES/SOP in the UK? Can you help?

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.
ET

Recent experience of the SES/SOP in the UK? Can you help?

Postby ET » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:41 pm

Hi,

Anyone who has read my recent thread "Has the SES ever been classified as a cult in the UK?" will know that I have been in contact with a small local magazine about them allowing a local branch of the SES/SOP to advertise their "philosophy" courses in their magazine. If you want to read a full account of the email exchange I've had with them so far, then please read that thread.
One of the things that may actually make them decide not to allow the SES/SOP to advertise with them ever again would be if someone who has recently left the adult School in the UK were prepared to share their experience with them. I realise this is a lot to ask for, and I will completely understand if nobody responds to this post.
What has prompted me to write today, however, is that I have just read the experiences of some recent ex-members of the Australian SOP, and it's clear from what they say that the same underhand methods are being used as were being used when my parents were members in London way back in the 70s. This makes me even more sure that the London SES claims that "everything has changed" (which I never really believed in the first place) are blatantly untrue.
If we can stop one small magazine from allowing them to advertise, then we are striking a small but significant blow against this leviathan of an organisation, which would make me feel better, at least.

If you are interested, please PM me, and I can put you in touch with the publisher, who has been incredibly understanding and supportive so far. I mentioned in my latest email that I would understand if he thought I was a crank, and this is the response I got:

"This is just a brief note to say that I'm really busy today so haven't had a chance to digest everything you've included, but I want to assure you that I do not in any way consider you a crank! Clearly this is an important
issue for you and as you are one of our readers then it's important for me too."

We may actually get somewhere with this one. However, as I have already said, I completely respect the privacy of every person on this forum and I am absolutely not trying to pressure anyone into anything!
Pupil at St James Girl's School from 1979-1989, from age 4-14. Parents ex-members of SES.

Return to “General discussion of SES”