"Invent God"

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.
actuallythere

"Invent God"

Postby actuallythere » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:03 pm

Jeremy Sinclair is chairman of advertising firm M & C Saatchi PLC and wrote the book 'Brutal Simplicity of Thought.' He is, as far as I'm aware, one of a very small group of most influential members of SES. I have been told by members that he is the author of 'the material' - the text used to run classes and that he helped SES leader Leon Maclaren take the organization on a new course in the late 1960s and early 1970s. He runs the SES event Art in Action.

Here's some publicity for his book http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjHlSmyajZo

At 1:40 there is his question/answer:

How do you make people behave?

Invent God.

morrigan

Re: "Invent God"

Postby morrigan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:31 pm

And "Happy Easter" to all of us, whatever was taught and required re religion at school.

woodgreen

Postby woodgreen » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:35 pm

Hope you had a good one Morrigan!

Hi AT - Sinclair does seem to wield a great deal of influence, both within and without the SES. As a ( now) wealthy person from his work with Saatchi and Saatchi, and, since then, connected at many influential levels ( politics, the Arts, etc.) I am surprised he is still a leading light in SES. Given his background ( humble from what I have read) I would have thought he would have given up his power trip by now, and moved on to better things. Oh he did, to TB's Foundation!

The article in the Independent about him said that his interests included "spiritualism". Just about sums up the SES and it'smuddled -up occultist background. Tough cookie Sinclair, but his spiritual progress got stopped in the SES. I know you don't accept this "spirit" thing AT - you do right not too, but when they mix it up, as the likes of Sinclair do, it is about a very basic level of spirit - the one that the people like Sinclair think that their positions, and money, and influence, give them some control, and (their) strength of spirit. Not so. Spirit is about what we are.

The questions you often raise about why people are in, or stay in this organisation, are actually about them - it is possibly the case that these "leaders" had those issues way back when ( the50s 60's? even before) and have never resolved them. And so they continue on their pattern.

And if it seems it has given them some money or status in life, like Sinclair, they continue. They needed the therapy it seems, but hey, that was probably for wimps or failures back in their day. Instead, a level of brutality continues.Are they still in denial? Probably - they will quote something to justify their actions - the Talents, the Gita, the fault of our birth............and on.

best regards

woodgreen
Ex-SES Member. (Member for 3 years in late nineties).

actuallythere

Postby actuallythere » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:59 am

Woodgreen

" I know you don't accept this "spirit" thing AT"

How do you know that? You might be jumping to conclusions there, depending on what you mean by the words 'accept', and 'spirit'. I referred to the soul in a recent post to Earlgrey, please note.

My observation here is that Jeremy Sinclair, apparently the author of 'the material', has stated in writing that one can make people behave by inventing God.

It appears to be a late-career public confession of malice, a wish to be found out reminiscent of Edgar Allen Poe's 'Tell-Tale Heart'. In this case, Sinclair is expressing his desire to have power over people though deception, his deception about the most sacred matter one can conceive. It's remarkable that a man who preaches about illusion is advocating deception.

Sinclair's endorsement of spiritual abuse is troubling.

If he is thrilled by the possibility of inventing God (as he puts it) and to make other people behave in the way he wants them to, then no exploitational motive such as sex or money needs to be part of the equation - control over other people is an end in itself.
Last edited by actuallythere on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

woodgreen

Postby woodgreen » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:01 pm

Yes, sorry AT, I do not know what you accept in these areas. A wrong presumption on my part obviously.

As far as Sinclair goes, for a very rich man to be a leading light in an organisation that treats human beings as free labour in the SES because they believe they are following a spiritual path speaks volumes to me.

regards

woodgreen
Ex-SES Member. (Member for 3 years in late nineties).

actuallythere

Postby actuallythere » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:21 am

woodgreen wrote: As far as Sinclair goes, for a very rich man to be a leading light in an organisation that treats human beings as free labour in the SES because they believe they are following a spiritual path speaks volumes to me.

Precisely.

Return to “General discussion of SES”