Hotmail / Yahoo / Excite no longer suffice for new login

Anything relating to the operation of this site.
mgormez

Hotmail / Yahoo / Excite no longer suffice for new login

Postby mgormez » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:22 pm

Hi,

To prevent further abuse new applications for a login need to provide their real email address. Trow-away accounts such Hotmail / Yahoo / Excite etc. can be created non-stop and not be dealt with.

I understand that for some this will bring inconvinance and I have thought long about it but it is the only way.
Mike Gormez

Matthew

Re: Hotmail / Yahoo / Excite no longer suffice for new login

Postby Matthew » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:16 pm

Mike, in the current circumstances I think this is completely reasonable.

Also, perhaps I have missed something but is it not possible to simply remove all of Matt Stollar's threads now that they are all on a single one i.e. "Revelations" (keeping this one obviously) ? From what I gather, Stollar himself was perfectly happy with this arrangement.

Perhaps the problem is due to programme/software issues, but if you could manage this it would certainly make the site less cluttered and easier to navigate, especially for any newcomers.

Cheers,

Matthew

adrasteia

Postby adrasteia » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:27 pm

I completely understand the reasons behind your decision, but a lot of people's 'real' addresses (my own included) are @hotmail or @yahoo etc. Is there any other way for us to get on?

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:32 pm

It wouldn't affect you Adrasteia because you are already a member. It only affects those who have yet to register....At least this is my understanding.

grimep

Postby grimep » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:27 pm

unless you are someone who pays for your own ISP, or are prepared to use your work mail account (which is against the small print on many contracts these days) you would be excluded from posting.

As we've just seen the tip of the iceberg on here and many other ex-pupils won't be aware of this site I think it would be best not to make it hard or impossible for some people to register.

For example, I can't see how a current pupil of St James could register - unless via a free mail account.

mgormez

Re: Hotmail / Yahoo / Excite no longer suffice for new login

Postby mgormez » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:35 pm

Matthew wrote:Mike, in the current circumstances I think this is completely reasonable.

Also, perhaps I have missed something but is it not possible to simply remove all of Matt Stollar's threads now that they are all on a single one i.e. "Revelations" (keeping this one obviously) ? From what I gather, Stollar himself was perfectly happy with this arrangement.

Perhaps the problem is due to programme/software issues, but if you could manage this it would certainly make the site less cluttered and easier to navigate, especially for any newcomers.

1/ Thanks. Indeed this is only for new members, so no worries for those who are already here.

2/ I can not just remove all those threads because also sane people posted in most of them. Matt sugested to save those under a single thread called "Revelations". A good idea if it weren't for the fact that I tried that but instead ended up with a couple of "Revelations" threads. The software can't cope as is. Perhaps there's a "join threads" patch available, but I've to search for one.
In anycase, currently it would not matter on iota in other words as the amount of threads would remain the same and instead get even more confusing when they carry all the same name.

Also I feel I should retain his most absurd postings and sock-puppeting (having talks with himself using multple nicks) because appreantly now he's reporting me to a "authority" and I need to defend myself should he initate a suit or people ask me why he is banned.
Last edited by mgormez on Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Gormez

Shout

Postby Shout » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:45 pm

Last edited by Shout on Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:47 pm

grimep wrote:For example, I can't see how a current pupil of St James could register - unless via a free mail account.

Grimep, it hurts to make the decision but I can no longer bring myself to deal with Matt Stollar. It is like talking to a wall - here and in email. Sadly there's no other way to keep it lunatic free here.
Mike Gormez

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:22 pm

Hi Shout,

Shout wrote:In light of grimep's post don't you think you could change your mind?
This is only about Stollar really, and I think he would be very easy to recognise in the future (we could tell you); and then you could simply delete anything he writes if you like, but I am hoping he can make a personal apology to you.
I had hardly looked at the P S-R posts, which is why I noticed him so late.
He will be easy to identify in the future. And it is important to let more people on here.
What do you think?

I have just seen your post before mine, so if you still feel the same -no need to repeat yourself]

Shout, I hear you but the Stollar problem is been going on for months. Look here
http://www.whyaretheydead.net/phpBB2/vi ... .php?t=219
and here
http://www.whyaretheydead.net/phpBB2/vi ... .php?t=222

He is a certified lunatic and people voted overwhelmingly in favor to keep his threads closed. And I don't want to worry any more so just he can have a free hand to kook out. Matt Stollar has been the most destructive entitiy ever on this board, I don't want him him here. He is not welcome. But since he does not understand those words I have to take this step.

You know, this is supposed a hobby of mine but it is no longer fun.
Mike Gormez

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:17 pm

mike - perhaps a link to a privacy statement at the top of the page where it states quite clearly that email addressess ARE kept private might allay any fears?

also, can people still post as unregistered guests?

Daffy

Postby Daffy » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:42 pm

a different guest wrote:can people still post as unregistered guests?

This is no longer possible. You can see this if you log out and try posting anything.

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:53 pm

then i think a reassuring privacy statement would not go astray.

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:53 am

a different guest wrote:then i think a reassuring privacy statement would not go astray.

If you have a good privacy statement in mind or saw one on a site, I'll have a serious look at it for sure. Inventing the wheel twice is silly.

Best,
Mike Gormez

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:18 am

OK mike - when I get to my usual boards I will check them out. will get back to you.

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:47 pm

how about something like this? (which i've cobbled together from a couple of sites).

We never sell, trade, or give away any personal information about registered members, ever.

We can't tell who you are because you came to our web site, and we can't tell what page you're on right now.

No information is made available to third parties. By default, email addresses are not displayed when you post a message or reply.

This bulletin board does, however, automatically collect certain non-personally-identifiable information, such as your browser type and the IP address that your ISP designates to your machine.

A few of our pages place a "cookie" in the browser files of a user's computer, which allows the Bulletin Boards to recognise that you've gone from one page to another as the same logged-in person. The use of cookies is now an industry standard, and you will find them used on most major web sites.

A cookie is a small text file containing a unique identification number that is transferred from a web site to the hard drive of your computer. A unique number identifies your browser but does not provide any personal information about you at all. Since cookies are only text files, they cannot run on your computer, search your computer for information or transmit any information to anyone.

You have the ability to configure your browsers to refuse acceptance of cookies. A cookie cannot pass on a computer virus, or even capture your e-mail address.

Return to “Housekeeping”