3000 posts!

Anything relating to the operation of this site.
mgormez

3000 posts!

Postby mgormez » Thu May 26, 2005 9:55 am

I just saw, by going to the main page, that the SES discussion has 3000 posts (this being 3001). Amazing! Truly and utterly amazing. This is far beyond my wildest expectations.

This is not my work but yours. I have said it before, without people stepping forward it would be a lonely place here. A lot of people have been affected by the SES and its schools, but not having experienced it makes me an outsider.
But believe me when I say I feel the hurt as well when readers tell how hard it was for them to be reminded of the abuse they suffered after having read other people's experiences, and for days feel miserable and some even needing lots of drinks to cope with it all.

At those times I feel partly guilty and certainly worried. Please reach out when you are feeling so down.
Mike Gormez

ET

Postby ET » Thu May 26, 2005 1:42 pm

That's great Mike!

And please don't feel guilty for setting this up - I can only speak for myself, but it's been a great help to me, despite it bringing back old ghosts.
It helps just knowing there are enough people out there who went through the same or similar experiences for there to be 3000+ posts on a website about it!
I can't state too strongly how important sites like this are to those of us who have suffered and need an outlet.
Keep up the good work!

:B-fly:

Shout

Postby Shout » Thu May 26, 2005 5:06 pm

Last edited by Shout on Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Thu May 26, 2005 8:34 pm

Mike,

This forum has had an enormously positive effect on my life and, I'm sure, on the lives of many, many others. I'm quite serious when I say that you are one of my heroes!

Many thanks to you for your setting up this wonderful forum and for keeping it going, with Daffy's admirable assistance.

Tom

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Fri May 27, 2005 1:17 am

ET, Shout, Tom; thanks!

I agree ET, the numbers of people who went trough it as well makes clear to former pupils that they weren't alone, don't have to doubt their memories; and also sadly makes clear how often it happened.

Shout, I am glad you find relief at the end. Not to patronize you but sometimes I feel it is boiling below the surface and it is best to let you do your thing and get it out of your system, so to speak.

Well Tom, I can be short about you. if you hadn't written me on 18 Dec 1999 asking for other ex-pupils and info, and letting me web that question, then this forum wouldn't be here I guess. That is what kicked it off.
Before that it were just a few static pages, out of a book, government report and a copy of another site. You were my first 'life' contact.

Yess, Daffy is a great help. It is a huge relief to know I can go away for a week or something without having to worry what is happening here. And that is only one example of his help.
Mike Gormez

Goblinboy

Re: 3000 posts!

Postby Goblinboy » Fri May 27, 2005 4:40 am

mgormez wrote:I just saw, by going to the main page, that the SES discussion has 3000 posts ...This is far beyond my wildest expectations.

And congrats on getting over 200 registered members Mike. Well done.

mgormez

Re: 3000 posts!

Postby mgormez » Fri May 27, 2005 9:03 am

Goblinboy wrote:And congrats on getting over 200 registered members Mike. Well done.

Yeah, not bad!.. :-)

Seriously Gb, what is also amazing is that 'st vedast debenham' is 6th overall search phrase used to find this site. I can't understand why such a phrase would be so popular.
Mike Gormez

Daffy

Postby Daffy » Fri May 27, 2005 11:17 am

Thanks Mike and Tom for the compliments, though I really don't deserve them next to those of you who were instrumental in starting this whole ball rolling. As well as Mike himself, I think Dan, Tom, Alban and Matthew deserve special praise - their courage in being the first to speak out in a public forum encouraged the rest of us to do likewise.

Now that this whole community of like-minded people exists, it's easy to forget how it felt beforehand. One of the most repeated things on this forum is 'I thought I was the only one who felt this way'. I've certainly got a lot of comfort from knowing I wasn't, and I've also had the pleasure of renewing a number of friendships lost twenty years ago.

The forum is quieter than it used to be, but I know that it has stimulated a great deal of activity offline. If anyone has any ideas as to how we might encourage more participation from new and existing members we'd welcome your views.

Daniel Gregory

Postby Daniel Gregory » Fri May 27, 2005 9:00 pm

This site is even more important than could have been anticipated at conception and birth. Nice one Mike!!

I often wonder how many silent obsevers, ex-pupils and others, there are reading these posts. It has been theraputic for me and many others, surely including those who read but do not contribute.

This site is invaluable. Thanks to Mike and all of you who motivated it's begining.

Dan :changes:

daska

Postby daska » Fri May 27, 2005 10:49 pm

Mike, I'd like to add my thanks as well for so generously hosting a most effective tool in combating the poor self esteem and loneliness of those years. It has been quite a journey the last few months! Thanks also to Alban for the encouragement. And to Tom for getting the ball rolling and being so active in contacting us and letting us know that this forum was available. I never thought when I first looked at this site that I would want to contribute but it has been for me, as it has obviously been for others, a very cathartic exercise. The memories that have been returned to me, even when painful, are still valuable. Thank you everyone.

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:07 am

Yes Daffy, more deserve praise then a gave. There are some remarkable people here.

I think I have said it before but it is pretty safe for me to post here, I have no family or ties in/with the organization. I have a lot of admiration for those who have and after evaluation did recount their experiences.

But lets not forget the pro or neutral posters as well, it would be a bit boring when we would all think alike.
Mike Gormez

bluelight

Postby bluelight » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:43 pm

I can't thank the people who have been instrumental in creating and contributing to this site enough, it has not been easy recounting my own experiences and reading others accounts, but then lancing boils has never been painless. Thankyou.

Bluelight

Return to “Housekeeping”