Welcome to our new moderator!

Anything relating to the operation of this site.
Daffy

Welcome to our new moderator!

Postby Daffy » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:32 am

A big welcome to our new moderator, Goblinboy.

GB will no doubt introduce himself, but we asked him to join us in keeping an eye on this board because he is a long-time contributor with consistently intelligent, thought-provoking, eloquent and calm posts supportive of the overall goals of the forum.

Those who have been here for some time will know that there is in fact very little moderation required on this site, despite the seriousness of the subject matter and the widely differing views expressed. However, more work than is apparent goes on behind the scenes, answering queries that are sent to us by PM, dealing with user registrations, pro-actively considering how to ensure that the site is successful and keeping an eye on attempts to disrupt the board before they occur.

Unfortunately there is no 'Out of office autoreply' for Private Messages to us. If you send a PM to Mike, GB or me and don't get a reply within 48 hours, please PM another moderator. You can see whether a PM has been read by going into your Private Message 'Outbox'. If the message you sent is still there, it has not been read. As soon as the recipient reads your PM, it is automatically moved to your 'Sentbox'.

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:50 am

I'll second that. Welcome aboard GB!

The pay is low, as you are aware, and we don't promise you 72 virgins but the virtual hot moderators chocolate milk does make up for that...sort of :)
Mike Gormez

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:51 am

Gawd - GB a mod?

Oh I had better behave myself! :D

Congrats GB :)

Goblinboy

Postby Goblinboy » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:20 am

Thanks for the welcome.

GB

Free Thinker

Postby Free Thinker » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:42 am

Welcome, GB!!!

So, Mike, are you saying that the moderators are "hot"? Or only virtually? Or that they'll be gettting hot chocolate milk, which I believe is called hot chocolate :P

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:14 am

or hot cocoa or even, here, hot milo.

Well, as long as it comes with a virtual tim tam I am sure GB will feel well rewarded. ;)

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:28 am

Congratulations, Goblinboy! A great addition to a great team.

bella

Postby bella » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:13 am

Welcome, GB - good choice.

What are the "overall goals of the forum"?

Stanton

Postby Stanton » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:37 am

Welcome Goblinboy - a popular choice!

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:31 am

Nice new avie stanton! I just love Puss in Boots!

Now, where's my ass? ;)

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:58 pm

Free Thinker wrote:So, Mike, are you saying that the moderators are "hot"? Or only virtually? Or that they'll be gettting hot chocolate milk, which I believe is called hot chocolate :P

Me and my silly language. Why oh why, wasn't I born in a god fearing Anglo-Saxon country? :(

But to anwer your question; obviosly the moderators (and me!) are hot, that's no point of discussion. The chocolate is virtual. Yes, that is it. The chocolate is virtual. :oops:
Mike Gormez

bella

Postby bella » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:25 pm

Hi Daffy or Mike - could you clarify please? What are "the overall goals of the forum"?

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:08 pm

bella wrote:Hi Daffy or Mike - could you clarify please? What are "the overall goals of the forum"?

I haven't given it a deep thought to be honest. I made the place here in the beginning as a platform for former pupils to meet and to give the occasional current SES member who wrote long letters in my guest book of the SES pages a more roomier place and easier way for me to reply. Like in the letter to Kevin. Mind you, I only knew Tom back then as far as I can remember as we had communicated a few times over the years. And it also was an experiment in setting up a BB. Little did I know it would get this busy.

On of my goals is now is to have the BB here to remind the responsible SES people of the past and that things are not "all well" yet. Open debate. Let people have an outlet for the stories they have often hold back for many years. Find lost friends or family. Let SES folks have a way to change it from the inside and bring in transparency. Warn parents of the link between SES and the schools until they are totally open about it and also tell what the SES stands for. Have fun. Bring the gender rolls in the open -- if it works for you, fine. Keep a tab on how things are currently.

And personnaly I like to dig in an organization and find out who runs what branch, what has it as role, who moved on to be governor, flow of money within etc.

That's off the top of my head.
Mike Gormez

bella

Postby bella » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:07 pm

Thanks for your thoughtful post, Mike. I asked because Daffy said GB's posts were "supportive of the overall goals of the forum", so I figured there must be some laid out somewhere. A couple of years ago, it was a bit more laissez faire, so I was curious to know what the "goals" are now.

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:32 pm

bella wrote:Thanks for your thoughtful post, Mike. I asked because Daffy said GB's posts were "supportive of the overall goals of the forum", so I figured there must be some laid out somewhere. A couple of years ago, it was a bit more laissez faire, so I was curious to know what the "goals" are now.

You're very welcome Bella. I am glad you are here.

If I may ask, do you feel we have changed a lot compared with a couple of years ago?
Mike Gormez

Return to “Housekeeping”