Can I delete my post?

Anything relating to the operation of this site.
Daffy

Can I delete my post?

Postby Daffy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:01 am

I have been asked by several users in recent months whether they can delete posts, so I might as well put my response here.

You can delete your post for up to 7 days as long as no-one else has posted in the same thread. The rationale for this limitation is that once someone has replied then it interrupts the flow of the conversation if a post that people may have responded to goes mysteriously missing.

You can also edit your posts at any time.

In the earliest days of this forum in the early to mid 2000s it was possible to post without logging in. Posts made in this way cannot be edited because the person wanting to do so cannot be authenticated as the same person who originally posted.

By the way I can't guarantee all the above details are correct as I don't see the same options as others users, so please let me know if it isn't and I will update as necessary.

Please think whether you really need or want to delete or edit your posts before doing so. Sometimes what you say may be the subject of vigorous debate with or criticism by other users, but this shouldn't be feared or regretted: this is a largely anonymous discussion on the Internet, not a debate with a bullying tutor. It is generally not fair on other users to expect to erase what you say here because of a (probably) fleeting feeling of remorse about getting involved in a discussion. You can't do this in real life either!

Daffy
ses-forums.org administrator

Return to “Housekeeping”