Another reason to preserve this site

Anything relating to the operation of this site.
actuallythere

Re: Another reason to preserve this site

Postby actuallythere » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:48 am

Hello Daffy,

Excellent news that exporting content might be possible.

Obviously, a single file would be the handiest solution, if at all possible. Perhaps that's something that could be created after first exporting or downloading of all content in several files, and then one of us merging them somehow.

Looking forward to the outcome.

Thanks again.

AT

Daffy

Postby Daffy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:29 am

OK, further to my post above I have found a way of exporting the text of the forum. In fact it replicates the forum exactly as you see it now, with the same look and feel. Private content such as PMs is not included. Also the search facility does not work as searches require the board to be actually running.

The content of the board when exported in this way fills over 700MB of disk space. Therefore anyone hosting such a copy would need at least that amount of free space on their hosting provider. Most paid hosting providers offer at least that amount. I do not believe discussion sites like Yahoo have any means of importing or hosting existing content of this kind, but if anyone believes otherwise please let me know.

As I previously mentioned, I have paid for the hosting of this site until late 2014 so the closure of this site as a an active forum does not mean existing content will disappear at the end of this year. Therefore there is no need to panic about preserving this site. What you do need to do urgently is to find a place to continue discussion after the end of this year.

This site will contain a link to any other discussion forum(s) that people wish to create, even if that happens after the end of the year.

actuallythere

Postby actuallythere » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:21 am

Brilliant work Daffy, thanks.

I'll find a way to handle 700 MB. I'd very much like us to proceed with getting hold of that file.

Next week, I'll dedicate some time to finding out whether there is a way of setting up a forum that could be managed by an existing moderator somewhere, with an existing forum. As a precedent, I recall this forum started alongside a Scientology forum in the first place. There is probably a forum out there which is ready, willing and able to neutrally host more discussion on another group.

Middle Way

Postby Middle Way » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:42 pm

Many thanks to both Daffy and actuallythere for your very important work in preserving this site.

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:22 am

Middle Way wrote:Many thanks to both Daffy and actuallythere for your very important work in preserving this site.

Hear hear!

sydneykatieking

Postby sydneykatieking » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:47 am

Brilliant, mates. Thank you.

As the big clock on the wall is ticking down to Year's End, I would like to share the following reading from Huxley's Brave New World Revisited, published in 1958, and still completely relevant and timely.

"This concern with the basic condition of freedom...It is perfectly possible for a man to be out of prison...and to be a psychological captive, compelled to think, feel and act as ..some private interest..wants him to think, feel and act. There will never be such a thing as a writ of habeas mentem, for no sheriff or jailer can bring an illegally imprisoned mind into court, and no person whose mind has been made captive...would be in a position to complain of his captivity. The nature of psychological compulsion is such that those who act under constraint remain under the impression that they are acting on their own initiative. The victim of mind-manipulation does not know that he is a victim. To him, the walls of his prison are invisible...."

"Meanwhile there is still some freedom left in the world. Many young people...do not seem to value freedom. But some of us still believe that, without freedom, human beings cannot become fully human and that freedom is therefore supremely valuable. Perhaps the forces that now menace freedom are too strong to be resisted for very long. It is still our duty to do whatever we can to resist them."

I am deeply proud to have contributed and participated in this forum and am grateful to those with the computer skills and know-how who will preserve the histories, experiences and stories for others to share. The greater good has been well served on this forum.

Cheers and blessings to all those of good will and respect for human freedoms and personal liberties.
Adios y gratias, mi amigos y amigas
Sydney SOP survivor 1969-1980, proud contributor to the expose, Secret Cult.

Return to “Housekeeping”