Tears Roll Down

A place for discussions that don't fit elsewhere.
Free Thinker

Postby Free Thinker » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:33 am

Perhaps he asked to have his account deleted after being banned?

Moxons

Re: Tears Roll Down

Postby Moxons » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:11 am

Obviously I came here much too late. The Ravesis were family friends, and lived nearby. Mr Ravesi was actually a tutor of mine at various points when I was in my very early teens. He also taught my young boys group Latin. I remember every declension he taught me. My little sisters were in the same little girls' group as the Ravesi children at that time.

I only knew Mr Ravesi to be a good hearted man, one of the good ones I think. Hardly EVER hit us, if at all.

I only discovered this forum a few days ago, and see that most of the action on this thread took place in 2006. It's a shame they were compelled to leave. Not being able to read their posts, I guess I'll never know why. I do remember reading their excerpts in "The Secret Cult" years ago, and never thought they went far enough towards damning the SOP for it's treatment of the children. But, they may not have been fully aware, as my mother wasn't. We certainly couldn't get through to them at the time.

I'm not even sure if anyone is reading this. I really don't know how much I should be saying.

Tootsie

Postby Tootsie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:32 pm

Hi Moxons, last night I went to Mother Chu's Vegetarian Kitchen in Pitt Street for a feed. Walking back to Town Hall railway station after the meal I decided to walk down Wilmot Street where in the 1970's the SOP carried out all its activities. It is now a backpackers hotel! At the time it was considered the center of the universe as far as school was concerned and I practically lived there. Nearly every Saturday was spent cleaning the place and then in the afternoon we did woodwork. I remember once telling Mrs Mavro that it would only take 2 professional cleaners working with a polishing machine about 2 hours to clean the whole building instead of about 50 pupils that usually turned up to clean the building. She was horrified at my suggestion and said the whole exercise was allowing the the pupils to rest their attention on the working surface while the various tasks were performed, and get them used to second line work. At the time I was working at nights cleaning offices and knew all the tricks of the trade. You were only given 3 hours to clean large offices, so I could speak from experience.

As you know the Daily Telegraph ran a story in the 1980's about the SOP and Mr Ravese gave all the grime details about being a 'pupil' in the school. Whistle blowers are not much liked in school, although I believe his actions eventually lead to the late Mr Mavro getting the boot from the SOP. Did you do woodwork, as I occasionally took the youth group for this and might have met you?

Moxons

Postby Moxons » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:42 pm

Hi Tootsie.

Oh, yes. I did woodwork. Lots and lots of woodwork. I also cleaned and scrubbed every inch of that Wilmot St building. Bees wax and a cloth, hands and knees, attention on the working surface. I was in SOP between 1970 and 1980 approx. My parents were involved for years beforehand and a bit after I reached 17 and refused to go any more.

Woodwork, among many other things, at one point was done at our home in Killara. Our place was also used for gardening groups, cleaning groups, tapestry, caligraphy, dressmaking, meditation initiations, Christmas parties, etc, etc.

We also did woodwork in many other people's garages and sheds, including on in Clarke Rd, North Sydney with Mr Mikkelsen. He was a good guy. Yeo St Neutral Bay also had a garage workshop. I'm not sure if anyone here remembers Moxons, the old complex of buildings and yards down at Darling Harbour, long before it was redeveloped. Mr Mikkelsen basically ran the operations at Moxons, and there we restored all the chairs for Wilmot St, and built all the caligraphy boards for everyone. We made little bobbin things for ladies weaving on the lathe. I actually didn't mind going there every week, sharpening chisels and practising making dovetail joints.

Mr Mikkelsen also created those amazing doors for the then newly acquired Kent St building. God, I remember (bad, bad memories...) gutting that building for it's refurbishment. I don't know how many of us didn't die at that time.

You may have met me, depends which "youth group" you mean. Younger kids came after us. I don't remember any Mr Tootsie!

Tootsie

Postby Tootsie » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:43 am

I remember Moxons and Mr Mikkelsen very well. As you say Mikkelsen was one of the few good guys in school, although I really didn't understand why he put up with Mavro's crazy ideas. I remember one incidence where we worked for 24 hours straight making wooden toys to sell at a fund raising sale that the school was having for the new building in Kent Street. The funny thing was that hardly any wooden toys were sold, another of Mavro's ideas that didn't quite work! I still have my calligraphy board that was made at Moxons 35 years ago.

I also remember the house at Spencer Road Killara and knew and respected your father. Our group once put on Midsummer-Nights Dream in the garden at Christmas time. I was on the gardening team that worked there on Saturday afternoons. At the back of the garage you had a woodpile and one Saturday we had to move it, so we formed a chain passing logs along the chain. Thats when I came face-to-face with an angry Funnel-web spider. I was just about to take a log when I noticed the Funnel-web spider rearing up ready to strike. Luckily my attention was fully on the working surface and I did not take the log, but maybe i needed a charge of underpants after this occurrence !

Moxons

Postby Moxons » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:41 am

Yep, plenty of funnel webs in that backyard. Also small black scorpions. I used to take them to school! (Not School).

I think I remember the Midsummer Night's Dream episode. There were a few similar productions in our little amphitheatre, not to mention the maypole!

I'm glad you remember my dad. generally people only have nice things to say about him. I guess you know he passed away in 1982, when I was 18. He was two years younger than I am now. I really tried to get to know him in the last few years, but he was literally out every night, and all weekend. The SOP owned him. Mavro owned him...

Getting There

Postby Getting There » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:10 pm

I'm glad you remember my dad. generally people only have nice things to say about him. I guess you know he passed away in 1982, when I was 18. He was two years younger than I am now. I really tried to get to know him in the last few years, but he was literally out every night, and all weekend. The SOP owned him. Mavro owned him...

I too remember your dad. He was a fine man, a remarkable man. As well as Saturday gardening I went to Spencer Rd basement for woodwork in the evenings (I think it was woodwork, I left with cut fingers so it probably was...)

I recall him talking to us over a cup of tea during the break. I can't remember the words he said but I do remember the quality, the quietness and the sincerity with which he spoke. His words came from the heart. They were words aligned with Truth. He made a lasting impression on me. With respect, I don't think anyone 'owned' him, except his Maker.

I also recall taking the wrong doorway and walking into your room while you were studying. You hardly looked up; I think it had happened before. Sorry about that...

Return to “Miscellaneous”