View counts and lurkers

A place for discussions that don't fit elsewhere.
a different guest

View counts and lurkers

Postby a different guest » Mon May 30, 2005 10:09 am

HOW many people ARE there reading these forums. Only this morning (my time) I posted a new thread - it has no replies but DOES have 24 views.

But this is NOTHING compared with one of Jellybelly's threads (questioning physical abuse in the Netherlands schools) - posted within the last 48 hours it has NO replies yet a staggering 236 views.

How many lurkers are following this forum?

Daffy

Re: View counts and lurkers

Postby Daffy » Mon May 30, 2005 12:04 pm

a different guest wrote:HOW many people ARE there reading these forums. Only this morning (my time) I posted a new thread - it has no replies but DOES have 24 views.

That means 24 times the page has been loaded rather than 24 unique individuals having a look.

Could it be just you checking the thread once every 15 minutes for 6 hours? :wink:

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Mon May 30, 2005 12:12 pm

Could it be just you checking the thread once every 15 minutes for 6 hours?

Well it COULD be if...

a) I had nothing better to do with my time and
b) I didn't already get the info I needed (if anyone had replied) by merely viewing the board index.

So I poke my tongue at daffy and go back to wondering how the heck Jellybaby's posts got over 200 views in less than 48 hours.

Oh ok, I admit it, I'm jealous! ;)

Coralie

Postby Coralie » Mon May 30, 2005 9:17 pm

Sorry, I must admit to being a lurker. I am reading with great interest and having a lot of internal dialogue with myself. When I feel that I can contribute, I promise I will. At the moment I am empathising and sympathising, remembering and letting go. Although I have not physically been around the School for a long time, I am only now realising how deep the influence goes. I am working on finding my true nature, not the limited one I was allowed. I don't know whether that makes sense to anyone... as I said it is a work in progress and may explain why there are many onlookers and few contributers. :fadein:

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Mon May 30, 2005 10:54 pm

ADG, I have no traffic chart for just the message board. It would take days on my computer to process the logs at the end of the month. So I just go with the statistics the ISP makes concerning the entire site.

Those reveal that the top 3 pages overall of this 1300 megabyte site are pages of the message board. One of 'em has been accessed this month well over 25 thousand times.
Mike Gormez

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Tue May 31, 2005 1:55 am

Coralie - as you are a registered member here I would not call you a "lurker" at all. I meant people who are NOT members (and therefore can't post at all) who are visiting and reading this site. Now I know the memberlist has about 200, but not all those 200 would be here for the SES board but here for the Scientology boards.

So if you consider Jellybelly's Netherlands post which has not yet had an answer - so no reason for anyone to keep on checking the thread as there have been no changes - to notch up 248 views in less than 48 hours implys to me that the board is being visited by a good number of people who are not members.

and this is also not to say "lurking" is a bad thing - perhaps many of them are also ex-students who are helped by reading others experiences but aren't yet up to making a contribution here themselves.

daska

Postby daska » Tue May 31, 2005 6:28 am

I think the post in question is very much helped by it's title...!

Pink womble

Postby Pink womble » Tue May 31, 2005 4:19 pm

Must admit I went to an SES/ St James sponsored event last month, won't say what, I'll lose any credibility I have on this site! Suffice to say, the evening was crap. Anyway, turns out quite a few SES people and St James apologists keep an eye on the forum. The lurkers could be them.

The fact that some of the people I spoke to still fully support the schools (despite having read posts on this site) was frankly beyond belief.

adrasteia

Postby adrasteia » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:52 pm

I've also spoken to some people (with ties to Ses and St. James) who have been keeping up to date with the site. They seem to be just watching with interest rather than wishing to get involved- they don't seem to know what to think, they're just prepared to gossip about the fact that it exists. It may be because they have been involved with the school far more recently- they have no experience of/ties with the 'old' school.
Suffice it to say, there are many interested onlookers.

Actually, I think more people would post if they knew they would be assured absolute anonymity. (There are a few I know of anyway, esp. people that don?t quite understand the technology and the internet.)
There is then the problem of what they write giving them away, the danger/courage needed to make a statement out in the open. If it details illegal behaviour it will look like an aggressive statement, even if the person just wishes to talk about it with sympathetic listeners.
So some will never post, probably the people with most cause.

(Sorry have written this in a bit of a rush, I haven't checked it!)

Return to “Miscellaneous”