has the world cup made everyone quiet?

A place for discussions that don't fit elsewhere.
non-conformist

Re: What World Cup?

Postby non-conformist » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:02 pm

mgormez wrote:When 'we' beat the Argentinians - cough - only a formality - cough - then I buy each one of you a drink when you're in Amsterdam. :-)

Will hold you to that Mike! Should be paying a trip to my beloved Eindhoven and the Biker Bar soon enough.... Mine's an Aphlighem please....

quote error fixed -- mike

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:15 pm

non-conformist wrote:
mgormez wrote:When 'we' beat the Argentinians - cough - only a formality - cough - then I buy each one of you a drink when you're in Amsterdam. :-)

Will hold you to that Mike! Should be paying a trip to my beloved Eindhoven and the Biker Bar soon enough.... Mine's an Aphlighem please....

Mmm.. I think my mummy wouldn't be proud to see me in a biker bar, but aside from that, neither team scored so I am off the hook. Sorry! :-)

Btw, what is an Aphlighem? Never heard of it..
Mike Gormez

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:34 pm

Free Thinker wrote:
mgormez wrote: I won't go so far as to wear an orange lederhosen nor an orange painted German stormtrooper helmet

Now THAT'S a picture!

Yes, and luckily one which will never materialize. Dear lord FT, even I have my limits :-P

Ps. you said you had no one to take dancing and went alone a couple of times. Heck, that is how I go all the time. Sure, when you're with a group it feels safer walking into strange places but 1/ you make quicker contact alone 2/ never have to argue which venue the visit 3/ don't have to woryh one of your companions is on a drinking binge and you've to jump in between should s/he get into a fight 4/ if you meet other nice people you can't walk away from your friends.

Just go. Either you grab life by the tail or you'll regret it when you can't anymore.
Mike Gormez

Free Thinker

Postby Free Thinker » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:53 pm

Oh, I didn't make myself clear.

I don't have any issues going alone. When I lived in NYC, I went dancing almost every week and while I knew many people at the club, I often went alone and back. I do like going alone for many of the reasons you listed although with my friends and drinking, it would be holding their head above the toilet rather than preventing a fight.

The main reasons I only go a few times a year are because I live in the suburbs and don't drive, so when I go, my husband drives me and then hangs around in the city waiting for me. Right now, none of his friends live nearby either so it's not like he can hang out with them; and because unlike in NYC, the only regular club nights for the main music I like to dance to (New Wave, Gothic, and Industrial) are on the weeknights with some once a month clubs. (I like other dance music but am not familiar enough with bands, etc. to know which clubs to go to.) And since I teach during the week, staying out until 3 am is not an option.

If I'm ever in Amsterdam again (was once in 1996), I'll look you up and we can go kick up our heels together!

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:08 am

Free Thinker wrote:If I'm ever in Amsterdam again (was once in 1996), I'll look you up and we can go kick up our heels together!

Deal! I'd take you then to one of the Amsterdam brown cafes with live music which are located within a minute walking distance of each other at the Rembrandts square but are all different in one way or the other. One is sometimes so crowed with partying people you can hardly sip of the drink you hold in your hand (if you managed to reach the bar at all) .
Mike Gormez

bonsai

Postby bonsai » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:05 am

mgormez wrote:neither team scored so I am off the hook. Sorry! :-)

What happened to the mere formality?

Bonsai

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:38 am

bonsai wrote:
mgormez wrote:neither team scored so I am off the hook. Sorry! :-)

What happened to the mere formality?

Erm..

It is fairly difficult to explain, what with all the external factors and planning moves ahead in 3 dimensions, but the 0-0 was exactly as I had in mind.

Yep! My exhibited overconfidence here in a resounding win for 'our boys' in those fabulous orange shirts was part of my psychological warfare against the Argentina team supporters.

(good explanation if I say so myself)
Mike Gormez

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Well Australia is thru to the knockout round. First up, Italy. *gulp*
Relatives with long-term involvement in the SES / SOP/ SoEP

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:05 pm

a different guest wrote:Well Australia is thru to the knockout round. First up, Italy. *gulp*

Just watched the highlights of the game Cro - Aus. Nice game and of course superb coaching by Guus :-)

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/m ... year=2006#
Mike Gormez

Alban

Postby Alban » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:38 pm

I think the English Ref knocked himself out!

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:56 am

Thought I'd better stick my head above the parapet again before certain people start celebrating my disappearance.

Been taking a bit of a break from ranting about child abuse to catch up with a few things and enjoy the footie. Also, training hard for a supposed 'fun run' I'm supposed to be doing for Cancer Research. Turning myself from a beer-swilling couch potato into a beer-swilling 10,000 meter runner is surprisingly hard work. Perhaps I should have started training earlier? I'm thinking of hiring a former St James teacher to chase me with a cricket bat...

Well played the Dutch and the Aussies! But watch out for our stunning new England 11 tomorrow.

bella

Postby bella » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:17 am

Oooh, FT - New Wave, Gothic & Industrial eh? Unfortunately the club situation here is similar in that regard. There was a bit of a goth resurgence a few years back, but it fizzled and died again, of course. I only know of one club that operates with any regularity, but it's full of 18 year olds and I can't get away with latex or corsetry these days.

So I'm confined to my lounge room dance floor most times.

ADG - I actually think we'll do OK against Italy.

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:36 am

ADG - I actually think we'll do OK against Italy.

Well I did read that one of their best players is red-carded fro 3 games.

That bodes well :D

bella

Postby bella » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:53 am

:(

Ah well, there's always the table tennis championships.

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:48 am

what IS it about those refs and the Aussie team? That decision was a travesty!

Mind you, now the aussies are out I might have to go for Italy! LOL

Can't go for the poms can I ;)

Return to “Miscellaneous”