Coming to terms with stupidity

Discussion of the SES' satellite schools in Australia and New Zealand.
Cousin It

Re: Coming to terms with stupidity

Postby Cousin It » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:02 am

Goblinboy wrote:I guess the teaching talent pool is severely restricted if membership of the SOP/SES is a pre-requisite.
This becomes an issue in that most research on pedagogy indicates the quality of teachers is the critical single critical determinant of the quality of the education. The curriculum, ideology, resources, etc are of very secondary value.
Selecting talent from a tiny, insular group who may be well intentioned but are hardly models teaching excellence, isn't a recipe for success.

I agree with you completely about the quality of the teachers being vital and certainly agree that the school was often scraping the bottom of the barrel. But even properly trained teachers seemed to become poor teachers under the influence of the shankaracharya. After all he had no educational qualifications or experience at all but the teachers at the school studied his words as if they were rich with wisdom.
A former friend from the school who was a properly trained primary teacher would not even consider working at Erasmus because he described the methods there as "amateurish".
Cheers,
Cousin

stiltrubld

Postby stiltrubld » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:41 am

Daffy wrote:

I know some people justify the physical abuse at St James and St Vedast according to the corporal punishment 'standards' of some schools in the 1970s and 1980s but "queuing with your knickers down in front of a class full of children in detention" cannot be thought acceptable for any school, any child, anywhere, any time, under any circumstances. The teachers involved deserve to be named and shamed.

I said I would elaborate on the experience of other public schools. I went to two in the UK and these were boarding schools so there was more scope for bad practices if anything. The first primary level one was in the 1970's and I was there for a couple of years or so. Some of the 'matrons' seemed a bit fierce but the worst thing that happened to me was that I was accused of being 'wobbly on my legs' for falling over! The senior school was also fine, no strange punishments at all. I can't remember a single incident.

Those writing here who have been through what Bluegreen and ET have described for example have endured something quite unique in its ghastliness in my opinion.
Last edited by stiltrubld on Thu May 24, 2012 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
SES: 1990 - 2009 London (Female)

Tootsie

Postby Tootsie » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:08 pm

The theory side of school seems to be acceptable but the practical side seems to be just plain stupid. The only way to see this is to take a good look at your fellow students.

Observe the "older students" who have been in the school for years. Do you admire them? Do you want to become like them? Are they happy? Do they understand themselves any better than you?

If you answer yes to the above you are in the right place so enjoy the experience. If you answer no to the above you are stupid and in the right place so enjoy the experience.

Cousin It

Postby Cousin It » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:34 am

My personal experience is that people at the top of the School are on a bell shaped curve with the mean shifted a little in the direction of weird, introverted and depressed. There are some perfectly well-adjusted and happy people at the top as well as some total dysfunctional misfits.
But, I don't agree that you should stay in school based on admiring the top people. I reckon it is only worth staying in school if you are having fun. If you would rather be at home watching TV or playing tennis then give it up. Even a few years after giving up the school I still regret the enormous amount of time I wasted there.
Cheers,
Cousin

Tootsie

Postby Tootsie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:12 am

Don't think the SOP was a place of fun under Mavro or even when he left. What kept me in school for 14 years was the hope that around the corner someone would make a breakthrough. They kept introducing something new, for example in the mid-eighties it was reflection so one stayed a little bit longer to see if it worked. Even today they are still at it with the SEC must save the world before 2012 comes around.

We are too lazy to use our brain. It requires effort. Nevertheless, we appreciate writers, composers, painters,scientists, and all those great minds who are able to create something beautiful and innovative, so that's what school gives us. So for lazy people who do not want to think for themselves the SOP is an excellent place to be in, just turn up on the night and be spoon fed with whatever takes your fancy.

Yes there are good people in school who are there to work off some karma. I even saw a few who stood up to the Mavro's nonsense and are still in school after all these years.

bluemoon

Postby bluemoon » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:47 am

Tootsie wrote:

Even today they are still at it with the SEC must save the world before 2012 comes around.

Do you know how they intend to do that Tootsie?
SES London, 1990-2009, Female

Cousin It

Postby Cousin It » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:57 am

Tootsie wrote:What kept me in school for 14 years was the hope that around the corner someone would make a breakthrough.

Ah yes, the mythical "full realisation". A creature much talked about but never actually seen. What a pipe dream!
You can't live your life chasing after windmills.
Cheers,
Cousin

carlynnm8

Postby carlynnm8 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:13 pm

Hi Tootsie

Really interested in that last post with the 2012 stuff. One of my friends, who is still in the school said there is a lot of talk about serious work to be done in the next three years (it was said last year) - I was wondering what was meant by that. Do you have any more information on what they mean by that and how they intend to do this? I know that we are meant to be heading towards a more peaceful and enlightened era (the age of Aquarius), so Im really interested on their take on this. Or should I just go and see the movie with DL starring as Charlton Heston in "Planet of the Apes 2012 - Through The Looking Glass". Any ideas who could play what??
><strong>Joanna Eberhart</strong>: If I am wrong, I'm insane... but if I'm right, it's even worse than if I was wrong. >more famous quotes<Stepford Wives

Tootsie

Postby Tootsie » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:51 am

Hi Carlynnm8

According to Hindu cosmology the Yugas or ages are governed by the distance our sun is from the grand centre (Vishnunabhi), the seat of creative power (Brahma). So put simply, as we are in the Kali Yuga which is the furthest distance away from this grand centre, our spirituality will be at our lowest and our material aspect at its highest. However as our suns orbit continues and it comes closer to the grand centre our spirituality is at its highest and the material aspect decreases. It is said that the mental capacities, becomes so much developed that man can easily comprehend all, even the mysteries of Spirit This is called Satya Yuga or Golden Age. So as you said we are heading towards a more peaceful and enlightened era, the age of Aquarius.

As we are so fixed in our ways people hate change, so we are in for a bumpy ride so to speak. This is where places like SES can be of assistance in helping this change by bringing into prominence the quality of nature know as Sattva. I once read a book called The Maharishi Effect where it was claimed that by simply meditating it was possible to change negative situations. So the Maharishi would send people into places of conflict and they would sit in hotel rooms meditating, which often resulted in positive effects. I have also found using the 'pause' before any action to be beneficial. It allows one to start from this stillness where everything has its beginning and also its ending. It is good to see that the SES has joined other spiritual groups that meditate and for one day a year they all come together and meditate for world peace. So even the SES has to go along with the age of Aquarius. Could say a lot about the year 2012 but I think its better just to Google it and read any article that looks interesting.

Cousin It

Postby Cousin It » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:02 am

Hi Tootsie,
You believe this stuff? Would it be impolite to ask for evidence to back up the bold (and nonsensical) claims you just made. Sounds like eastern mumbo jumbo to me.
Cheers,
Cousin

Tootsie

Postby Tootsie » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:15 am

Hi Cousin,

Can I prove the existence of God? No. But I know that something inside me believes that there is more to life than three score years and ten. Thats why I'm a seeker like so many others. You join organisations like The School of Philosophy, gain experience, take what is useful and then move on. Believe me 14 years in the Sydney school was no picnic but I sure gained a lot of experience for which I am very grateful. You seem to be at a stage where Eastern Philosophy seems to be a lot of bull...t to use an Aussie expression. From your Melbourne experience of the SOP take the specks of gold, leave the dirt and move on, its as simple that. I am not going to discuss meditation or Hindu cosmology with you because I think it would be like waving a red rag in front of a bull with your present attitude. Have a good one!

Cousin It

Postby Cousin It » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:44 am

Tootsie wrote:I am not going to discuss meditation or Hindu cosmology with you because I think it would be like waving a red rag in front of a bull with your present attitude. Have a good one!

As far as I can tell my "attitude" (as you put it) is permanent and reasonable.
In the school you are asked to believe lots of things - some sensible and testable and some not. Hindu cosmology is in the latter category.
Upon leaving the school I decided to only believe things for which reliable evidence exists. I got heartily sick of being told something was true because the shankaracharya said so.
Tootsie, I have discovered from personal experience that life proceeds very nicely with a total absence of supernatural beliefs. In fact, it is even better because you don't waste time thinking about things which are imaginary.
Also, I now love debate as opposed to the unquestioning certainty we adopted in the school.
Cheers,
Cousin

ses-surviver

Postby ses-surviver » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:02 am

Isn't 2012 all about the return of the planet Niburu and the return of the Nephelim?

http://churchofcriticalthinking.org/planetx.html

I have spent way to much time watching this guy's Youtube channel - who'da thunk that Ally Pally was built as a Satanic temple?
http://www.youtube.com/user/gorilla199

ses-surviver

Postby ses-surviver » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:05 am

Tootsie wrote:As we are so fixed in our ways people hate change, so we are in for a bumpy ride so to speak. This is where places like SES can be of assistance in helping this change by bringing into prominence the quality of nature know as Sattva. I once read a book called The Maharishi Effect where it was claimed that by simply meditating it was possible to change negative situations. So the Maharishi would send people into places of conflict and they would sit in hotel rooms meditating, which often resulted in positive effects. I have also found using the 'pause' before any action to be beneficial. It allows one to start from this stillness where everything has its beginning and also its ending. It is good to see that the SES has joined other spiritual groups that meditate and for one day a year they all come together and meditate for world peace. So even the SES has to go along with the age of Aquarius. Could say a lot about the year 2012 but I think its better just to Google it and read any article that looks interesting.

I heard a story that in the heydays of industrial unrest in the 1970s and 1980s, the SES supplied people who sat in on some of the biggest union/government mediation sessions to perform a similar function.

not convinced yet

Postby not convinced yet » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:59 pm

I left SES having been in the school for almost 20 years. I had a number of years 'out', returned, left again and returned again two years ago - choosing to start again in part one. I wanted to compare the part one material designed by DL to the Mc material of old. I came across this forum by accident (if there is such a thing as accident) and have found the postings very interesting. During my time out of SES (and for many years before) I have studied many 'teachings' in my search for understanding and Truth. So far I have found that many teachings have an essential Truth at the core which, it seems to me, applies to them all equally. What they seem to differ in is the way in which they suggest one can 'communicate' with that Truth. It seems to me that there is much which is not good within SES. but I have found also much that has for me been of great value I have found this through trial and error of the many and varied practices which have been on offer. Over the years I have met some wonderful people within SES who I struggle to believe have been 'brainwashed' in any way. I have also met many power mad, egotistical snobs, but isn't that true of any organisation? I have, over many years, been a constant thorn in the side of many tutors and would agree that many of the tutors are ill equipped to deliver the information in a way which stimulates healthy debate - but there are some who do so, and I have found them to be the pearls in the oyster. I am not convinced yet as to what exactly SES is but I do struggle to see myself as having been brainwashed into some form of cult. I would appreciate it if the person who had written some notes on her experience within SES could share them with me?
I suppose I should say that I am not, and have never been. a member of the London branch of SES - although I have had much contact with people who are and have spent quite a lot of time there on various courses. I have always felt that I would not wish to be a member of the London branch - thought it was all a bit heavy duty there. Mr Boddy I have met on a number of occasions and I do agree that it seems odd that he should be 'in charge of the ladies' - within my group we always felt this might be because he had been right hand man to the iron lady! But my respect for Sheila Rosenberg is boundless.
I haven't actually come across any postings so far that challenge the actual material which SES delivers. Do those who are ex-members feel that the philosophy is wrong? I have been somewhat confused by a couple of postings which seem to suggest that SES is a front for membership of a Hindu religion (I assume this refers to advaita). My own experience has been that discussions on the information (e.g. the conversations) have enabled wide ranging debates on religion/spirituality/philosophy in general. This has often resulted in the recognition of not only the differences in the various belief systems, but the underlying truths which they share.
Reading many of these postings I wonder am I missing something here?

Return to “The Australian and NZ schools”