Michael Mavro Sydney SOP

Discussion of the SES' satellite schools in Australia and New Zealand.
sydneykatieking

Michael Mavro Sydney SOP

Postby sydneykatieking » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:52 am

Hello, let this be my last internet offering for 2010, being as I am on the eastern side of the International Date Line. It's also my very first posting on this Forum, so I'm learning the ropes on how this forum is managed. My question is this: I have just heard on my personal grapevine that Michael Mavro, the extraordinary Bully of the original Sydney SOP, died in the last few months. Can anyone confirm this and can anyone say what he died of? Probably not remorse or guilt for the wrecked lives he and his bully wife, Nina, were responsible for. I was in the Sydney SOP from January 1969 to May 1980 and still regret the waste of my life. I really have nothing to show for those lost 11 years and am still bewildered as to how I ever allowed myself to be so enmeshed and deluded in such an obviously wacky and sick organisation. I would really like to hear from other SOP or SES former inmates. Thanks and Happy 2011!
Sydney SOP survivor 1969-1980, proud contributor to the expose, Secret Cult.

Tootsie

Re: Michael Mavro Sydney SOP

Postby Tootsie » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:18 am

I also heard that Michael Mavro recently passed away. But when I did an obituary search on The Ryerson Index which covers all the Australian newspaper obituary notices nothing showed up. You would think if it was true there would be something there. Maybe Mark Twain's quote says it all 'The report of my death was an exaggeration.'

sydneykatieking

Postby sydneykatieking » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:38 am

Mavro was not his real last name, it was something longer. It was his fascist name, probably not the name his parents gave him. I hope someone can provide information of this most-welcomed death of a tyrant.

Tootsie

Postby Tootsie » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:56 am

Thats interesting! Was in the Sydney School for 14 years and did not know Mr M's real name! Although since then have found out that it is not unusual for the leaders of spiritual organisations to take nom de plumes. Fred Smith does not sound spiritual.

Ahamty2

Postby Ahamty2 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:14 am

I know with certainty that Michael Mavro's name is not the name that appears in his passport. He may be known in society as Michael Mavro but it is not his birth name.

I was informed that Michael Mavro had died in September from a serious stomach condition. This information came from someone in the School for Self Knowledge, the Mavros' breakaway organization after SOP. The Mavros' had an enormous supply of material from the SES and visits to India in their possession and would be making good use of their years in the SES to run their "new" school.

sydneykatieking

Postby sydneykatieking » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:34 pm

Tootsie wrote:Thats interesting! Was in the Sydney School for 14 years and did not know Mr M's real name! Although since then have found out that it is not unusual for the leaders of spiritual organisations to take nom de plumes. Fred Smith does not sound spiritual.

Sorry, but I can't let this pass. Sydney SOP was in no way a spiritual organization. No way. The Mavros exploited all of us gullible idealists for all they could. The whole enterprise was one big fraud and sham to provide the comfortable upperclass aristocractic lifestyle the Mavros thought they were entitled to. Many people were hurt and the Mavros never took any responsibility for anything. I hope, some how, somewhere in eternity, both of them get their just desserts.

I'm not a Morman, but that spiritual persuasion was founded by plain ol' Joseph Smith, a very common, unglamorous name.

Tootsie

Postby Tootsie » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:13 am

Its 20 years since I left the Sydney School of Philosophy so I really can not say what the organisation is like today. The funny thing was that when I was in School you were always kept busy and you had a lot of friends. Sure there were bad times but also a lot of good times. However in that time I never surrendered my will to whoever was leader at the time. Putting School first was not an option that I ever considered but a lot of people did and this caused a lot of trouble in their lives. Yes School was full of ego-trippers who loved the little bit of power they were given over people but you did not have to go along with them.

Was it a spiritual organisation? No, because it never had a spiritual person in charge. Ok they said direction came from someone in India but they did not follow that tradition and instead 'cherry picked' other traditions that suited the western disposition. In retrospect after leaving the School, I learned that the being 'busy' was only full of meaningless tasks and the friendships made in School did not continue after leaving. Do I have any regrets for the 14 years spent there? No, and even if I did you can not change the past, so move on, its as simple as that!

iwonder

Postby iwonder » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:21 am

What is the ultimate goal(s) of such an organisation do you think? what are they hiding from?

Earlgrey

Postby Earlgrey » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:42 pm

This is my first posting having just registered. I still attend SOP in Sydney (I've been in the joint for over 30 years) and after Mavro died we were told that his death was not publicised to prevent disgruntled or distressed former members of SOP from turning up at his funeral and speaking their mind. Only a select few in SOP knew of Mavros death before the funeral. I think there was a genuine concern to avoid any unecessary trauma.
For people wondering what the orgasization is like now it's like a devotional church. The idea of spiritual development on the individual level gets short thrift because the idea is the whole purpose of effort is to raise the consciousness of the community. Having done this you are raising your own consciousness. Personally I don't find that very satisfying and I don't know what I am still doing in the place. There is no opportunity to discuss (personal) obstacles to spiritual development because frankly no one cares. Obstacles disappear if you take your attention off them. They don't really exist and they never existed. See how easy it is? For me I've found it to be just a coverup but as soon as I tried to to say it's not working for me there wasn't much sympathy. It's funny you know, it's like a corporation. I mean who gives a damn about people's problems there is a mission to be accomplished.

actuallythere

Postby actuallythere » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:16 am

Dear Earlgrey

Thank you so very much for writing, and for being so honest.

Given that you say, "I don't know what I am still doing in the place," perhaps you'd be willing to take this opportunity to answer that question, and talk through your thoughts, here on this forum? We may benefit as much as you from this, it might even bring some people closer to those they have lost.

Secondly, given that you have been there 30 years, you have privileged insight into how the place works. Of interest of all of us is whether the alleged psychological or ego-manipulation techniques --with the goal of recruitment and group control, but with the outcome of abuse and deep emotional anguish-- are (a) knowingly crafted and maliciously implemented or (b) have come about due to the sociological evolution of the group, whereby such techniques became tempting to leaders and middle ranks because they started to put the growth of the group itself ahead of any purported intellectual or spiritual growth. This - ironically - would have required either a massive lack of self awareness from the people who fell into this pattern, or else extraordinary duplicity. I tend to think there was a combination of both.

This is not to start pointing fingers at you, Earlgrey. You have, in my opinion, taken a rather generous and very admirable step by candidly writing what you feel on this forum. You have my wholehearted welcome and genuine gratitude.

AT

woodgreen

Postby woodgreen » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:38 pm

Hi Earl Grey - welcome - post what you can , this is a very forgiving Forum given that we fight against the SES ( and maybe we are negative in our energy in that respect). But positive actually. Bit like a war really. I have some family in Australia and for a while I was slighlty paranoic ( i.e.that I would not let the SES get near them) so we kind of fight on. I was a bit scared to post for a while too not sure why - a cult thing - now I'm not - but we do cover a lot of ground here. We even defeat the lawyers against bluemoon. (aka Lambie ). Called free speech, and Giggsy lost in court . Lesson is money does not rule, especially in cults and in court.
So said the judge apparently.

woodgreen.
Ex-SES Member. (Member for 3 years in late nineties).

Tootsie

Postby Tootsie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:03 am

Hi Earlgrey, and yes I think the School has become a corporation. The problem is that the members of the board are not subject to the scrutiny of the shareholders at an annual general meeting. The product that is being sold (consciousness) is not subject to a vigorous system of quality control resulting in many product failures. Your only hope after 30 years is to be invited onto the board, but I think there is a big waiting list and only people with super size ego's need apply! Just hang in there until you are to senile to find your way to group night, then you are free!

Earlgrey

Postby Earlgrey » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:17 am

Stone the flamin' crows Tootsie, you really know how to hurt a guy. If I wasn't half senile already I'd get upset.

Blissfully Sleeping

Postby Blissfully Sleeping » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:36 am

Welcome Earlgrey,
Many of us lurk, few have the courage to 'speak'. So you are a rare breed.
Be aware that the powers that be in the Sydney SOP lurk here too, and they respond in their world swiftly. I greatly admire your courage in questioning what is happening, 30 years is a long time in an organisation such as the SOP. But then you don't need me to tell you that.
Kindest regards
Blissfully Sleeping

actuallythere

Postby actuallythere » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:18 am

@Earlgrey

As far as I can tell Tootsie was making a light-hearted jest about the situation, not about you personally.

Am looking forward to your response to my previous post.

Kind regards

AT

Return to “The Australian and NZ schools”