Cult conference can be heard online now in audio!

Discussion of cults generally - not specifically related to the SES or its related organisations.
Justice

Postby Justice » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:47 pm

The internationally acclaimed conference on Mind Control Cults:

"MECHANISMS OF CONTROL - How Cults Exploit Human Weakness"

can now be listened to online at the following web address:

http://www.fair-cult-concern.co.uk/conf ... es2006.htm

Justice

Postby Justice » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:25 pm

A merry Christmas and a happy new year to everyone!

I would be interested to hear the views of anyone who has listened to any of the speakers at the conference:

"MECHANISMS OF CONTROL - How Cults Exploit Human Weakness" at

http://www.fair-cult-concern.co.uk/conf ... es2006.htm

bonsai

Re: Cult conference can be heard online now in audio!

Postby bonsai » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:29 am

Justice! wrote:I would be interested to hear the views of anyone who has listened to any of the speakers at the conference:

Happy New Year All.

Thank you Justice for posting the links to the conference files. I have listened to the conference now a couple of times and now wish that I had attended in person.

I was particularly moved by the speech from Paul Cooper about him and his relationship with his moonie son. I was struck by the interplay of individual characters and influences in the story and just how much organisations like this can undermine families. I has a harking resonance to me and the damage that I feel (and I may be the only one that sees it) has been done to my family.

Generally I was quite amazed by the conference and the range of knowledge and experience of various groups that was presented. However one is left with the feeling that we are only just scratching the surface of understanding how these groups work and also there is no where near enough options or resources available to help those people affected by coercive organisations and no where near enough resource devoted to educating people to the dangers of these organisations.

I was particularly interested also in Dennis Tourish's speech where he was talking about political cults and as an aside he also mentions about cultic groups appearing in the ordinary employment environment. This is something that particularly scares me as there are opportunities all over the place for human beings to exploit and manipulate other particularly vulnerable people.

It is now clear to me, if it wasn't before, that my time under the influence of the SES and St James was my time in a cult. To this day it remains a cult. Whilst the SES may not exert the level of control that other cults would appear to it is nevertheless an organisation that people must be wary of and can have a huge trapping effect, whether intentional or not.

My personal view is that people should be allowed to form groups to explore and investigate beliefs (however wacky they are) but there must be checks and balances in place to ensure that people are not harmed by this process. In the SES there are no checks and balances except the individual's discrimination and conscience, which are undermined by what is taught. This is clearly unacceptable, as is the fact that those who claim benefit from the SES philosophy seem to be ignorant to the fact that it can do harm, despite the fact that there are plenty of victims of that harm here telling them so.

Bonsai

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:05 pm

I've finally got round to listening to some of this. Excellent stuff!

Justice

Cult Conference can be heard online now in audio!

Postby Justice » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:19 pm

I am glad that some of you have found the online conference on Cults to be useful and informative, if at times rather depressing!

I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has listened to the various speakers. I would be particularly interested to hear the views of any SES members!

Justice

Postby Justice » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:53 pm

As the Combined Message Board deals with both the School of Economic Science and Scientology, I would be interested to know what the connection is?

Goblinboy

Re: Cult Conference can be heard online now in audio!

Postby Goblinboy » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:17 am

Justice! wrote:As the Combined Message Board deals with both the School of Economic Science and Scientology, I would be interested to know what the connection is?

You'll have to ask Mike - it's his site.

Justice

Postby Justice » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:03 pm

Many current and ex Cult members suffer from Anxiety Attacks, Panic Attacks, OCD (Obsessive, Compulsive Disorder), and Cult implanted Phobias (i.e. "Leave the group and you will lose all your friends" "Bad things will happen" etc).

I recently heard about a course called the "Linden Method" which claims to help people who suffer from the above problems, and may be worth investigating.

Their website can be viewed at:

http://www.thelindenmethod.co.uk

Return to “Cults and religious organisations generally”