Heaven's Gate documentary

Discussion of cults generally - not specifically related to the SES or its related organisations.
actuallythere

Heaven's Gate documentary

Postby actuallythere » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:15 pm

This one is the most sensational and bizarre yet. If you set aside the terrible tragedy that befell it, a few subtle similarities with SES can be spotted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmTq19ii2KA

bluemoon

Re: Heaven's Gate documentary

Postby bluemoon » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:13 am

Thanks for this actuallythere. He is weird isn’t he – never blinks! Perhaps he learned to control his own eyelids too! It seems to me these people are looking for something to do that will get them a ‘following’, in other words people to control.....

There are 6 youtube clips, I have watched the first two so far. The most striking thing for me is the OCD control stuff and the ‘levels’ they speak of, related to moving up in the organisation. At the end of the first and beginning of the second clip (I think) a chap is interviewed who explains that the group have to do everything according to strict rules. Even packing a car and he explains that if cooking say a pancake there are exact times per side it had to be cooked and an exact amount of heat from the burner etc! He said there were people designated in the group to watch over how things were done to make sure they followed the strict rules. And all this to end up committing suicide. But as one of the relatives (I think) points out it’s really one suicide and 38 murders. I agree, and it illustrates how easily really people can be manipulated.

Bluemoon
Last edited by bluemoon on Fri May 25, 2012 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
SES London, 1990-2009, Female

ConcernedMum

Postby ConcernedMum » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:29 am

Thanks actuallythere and bluemoon.

Bluemoon, your kind of testimony is invaluable, as if people know exactly what it is they are getting involved with before they are so enmeshed in the group they find it hard to extract themselves, it may just stop them getting involved at all. Hope you are keeping well.

bluemoon

Postby bluemoon » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:44 am

deleted
SES London, 1990-2009, Female

Return to “Cults and religious organisations generally”