Abraham Lincoln School in NYC to close?

Discussion of the SES's satellite organisations in the USA.
Jack-o-lantern

Abraham Lincoln School in NYC to close?

Postby Jack-o-lantern » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:00 pm

a rumor going around on some internet parent boards...<P>

"Apparently, the new headmaster decided to shut down the school, keeping only the Ark Nursery. Parents are beside themselves, as where will they apply NOW for THIS September? I posted a few months ago -- considering it for my child (who got in) but in part because I was told the headmaster had been sacked, and that sounds like turmoil, shifting agendas, etc., we decided not to accept the offer -- THANK GOD! The new headmaster is from one of the philosophy schools in Australia or New Zealand and this was his new strategy. I cannot believe how lucky we were that I listened to my gut instincts on this one! "<P>

"This decision apparently leaves intact the Ark Nursery and the ALS through (?) the first grade, however it does affect students who as my friend's son, is in second grade now.This wasn't conveyed to me as supposition -- rather, a nearly hysterical call from friends who are the very embodiment of calm. They were verging on hysteria because of an internal familial debate about whether they could afford the tuition with the pittance of financial aid they had received; their child had been accepted at Anderson, which they declined in favor of continuing at ALS. As I said, the Ark and for some reason kindergarten and first grade (this doesn't make sense to me) will continue. So I suppose that's what the open house is about... "

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:33 pm

Very interesting! Do you have the URLs of these parent boards?

Jack-o-lantern

Try urbanbaby.com...select New York/

Postby Jack-o-lantern » Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:25 pm

Here one that has some info on it. Apparently Lincoln IS closing for sure. Not enought upper grade students to sustain the school.

They were going to combine some classess orginally but I think that idea chased away alot of the families. Lincoln School shares the same building with the "School of Practical Philosophy" on E. 79st. I am a former Lincoln School parent.

Here's the URL:
newyork.urbanbaby.com

Click on "join our community" then on "schools" under "message boards". You do not need to register btw.

When you get to the board run a search on "Lincoln" to save time.

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:34 pm

Very helpful! Thank you, sir.

adrasteia (can't sign in)

Postby adrasteia (can't sign in) » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:52 pm

Did anyone hear th end of what happened in the dutch school? Wasn't it there that the head-master was asked to resign?

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:10 pm

adrasteia (can't sign in) wrote:Did anyone hear th end of what happened in the dutch school? Wasn't it there that the head-master was asked to resign?

The school closed, not enough students (thanks to its bad reputation said a parent).

It closed term ending 2001/2002 and a dutch Parool article of 18 Jan 01 says the former headmaster was about to appear before court but the judge needed more time to study the case.

Currently SES does business in NL as School voor Praktische Filosofie en Spiritualiteit (http://www.praktischefilosofie.org).
Mike Gormez

seemore

Postby seemore » Fri May 21, 2004 5:19 am

Here's something for you Tom Grubb ... Abe Lincoln ( poor bastard must be turning over in his grave ) school to be headed by son of US Multi Millionaire and school member. Could be that even more money is about to be poured down that gurgler.
London word is that son is the usual dolt off-spring of rich father. Liked the 'drugie' lifestyle in his youth . Later on he 'discovered god' ... ho hum

!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Postby !?!?!?!?!?!?! » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:43 am

seemore wrote:Here's something for you Tom Grubb ... Abe Lincoln ( poor bastard must be turning over in his grave ) school to be headed by son of US Multi Millionaire and school member. Could be that even more money is about to be poured down that gurgler.
London word is that son is the usual dolt off-spring of rich father. Liked the 'drugie' lifestyle in his youth . Later on he 'discovered god' ... ho hum

He is a very nice man, and generous in many ways. A brilliant teacher, He would be the perfect head teacher to sort the school out!

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:58 pm

He sounds delightful. Who is he?

seemore

Postby seemore » Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:31 am

!?!?!?!?!?!?! wrote:
seemore wrote:Here's something for you Tom Grubb ... Abe Lincoln ( poor bastard must be turning over in his grave ) school to be headed by son of US Multi Millionaire and school member. Could be that even more money is about to be poured down that gurgler.

He is a very nice man, and generous in many ways. A brilliant teacher, He would be the perfect head teacher to sort the school out!

Very generous with his inherited money .... how else could he rise in the SOP. Talent counts for little therin.

seemore

Postby seemore » Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:36 am

Tom Grubb wrote:He sounds delightful. Who is he?

A wily fox I think. Did you know Tom, that the SOP is awash with money ? Bequests in the last ten years or so have left it with considerable amounts of loot. But still the student numbers dwindle. It is only a matter of time before more skeletons emerge from various cupboards. This time they will more than likely be of the 'financial mis-management' variety ... excess of money seems to have that effect.

NYC

Postby NYC » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:48 pm

It is only a matter of time before more skeletons emerge from various cupboards. This time they will more than likely be of the 'financial mis-management' variety ... excess of money seems to have that effect

seemore, do you have anything else to say about this, privately or on the board?

Free Thinker

Postby Free Thinker » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:22 am

I have to say that I was very sorry to look at the ALS website and see that Howard Schott was no longer the head. Does anyone know why? I grew up with his children and he and his wife were like second parents to me. He was/is a wonderful teacher and person (SES-stuff aside).

I don't know anything about the current head (who's name is Fox.) I do know his father (the millionaire) whom I hated as a child. And so you know what I mean, I'm the type of person who can get along with anyone. Someone recently said about me, "If they can't get along with _____, there's something wrong with them!" As a child, I made friends with everyone, old and young. And as a child growing up in the SPP, I disliked William Fox with an intensity, especially while he was a teacher in the youth group for a little while. Hopefully this time the fruit will fall far from the tree!

Snowman

Postby Snowman » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:23 pm

Free Thinker wrote:I don't know anything about the current head (who's name is Fox.) I do know his father (the millionaire) whom I hated as a child. And so you know what I mean, I'm the type of person who can get along with anyone. Someone recently said about me, "If they can't get along with _____, there's something wrong with them!" As a child, I made friends with everyone, old and young. And as a child growing up in the SPP, I disliked William Fox with an intensity, especially while he was a teacher in the youth group for a little while. Hopefully this time the fruit will fall far from the tree!

The other Fox, of which you speak, is again Willam - William's son.

He taught at St James Boys in London for several years and they even made him teach Rugby... He used to teach the youngest group and I spent time helping out in my gap year. This was mainly because my youngest brother was in that rugby agegroup and I couldn't face the though of an American teaching rugby - I don't think he even knew the rules.

Return to “The North American schools”