Greetings - Ex-SPP member from NYC

Discussion of the SES's satellite organisations in the USA.
nomad

Postby nomad » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:16 pm

Hi Pegleg, Thanks for your insights. I guess you know me better than I thought. I am torn. I feel that the school hasn't really taught me anything. I go because I am still waiting to see what more there is. I had read in this website that they sort of keep you waiting, tell you very little, little by little. Eventually making you realize that service = happiness as someone else has said here. Only you can never attain it; that is why you keep serving them. That is why people stick with it for years; they are waiting to be elightened. How much time do you actually spend away from your family in all these residentials you are to take during the year. How much does this cost? Is it true that you cannot continue with the school unless you go through the initiation ceremony? How do they approach students to be tutors? As you can see I still have loads of questions that I have not found answers to. Thanking you in advance for your response and anyone feel free to jump in please.

Free Thinker

Postby Free Thinker » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:21 am

Hi Nomad,

I can't reply properly tonight but I have read your questions and will be happy to respond. Like Pegleg (and remember, that we grew up together so we have had the same sort of experiences), I can assure you that it isn't as nefariously culty as you seem to think, and that I agree with the answers give to you so far. I will attempt to answer the others this weekend when I have some free time.

Cheerio!
FT

nomad

Postby nomad » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:07 pm

Thank you free thinker! I know it's alot to ask of you, but this will benefit fellow adult students and parents who are thinking of taking or putting in their children into the school!!! It also helps to have it all in one area for easier reading and some people are not that computer literate or into researching or digging into the depths of this forum. I am also interested to know the type of service the school expects of you once you have been initiated. Also, what you thought of the initiation ceremony and if you thought it was like Pegleg mentioned the words "bait and switch", although he did not think that because he grew up in it. You know, it starts as philosophy, then they start pushing their own agenda. Please also be aware that in my thread: Adult School of Practical Philosophy Oct '05....I also ask lots of questions that I would love answered! Thanking you in advance for your time! Nomad

Free Thinker

Postby Free Thinker » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:36 am

Hi Nomad,

I answered some of your questions in another thread but I'll attempt some more here.

Yes, you need to be initiated to continue in the school. The SoPP places a big emphasis on meditation and you must be initiated to do it. The ceremony itself isn't a big deal but they do ask you to contribute "one week's wages", which for many people, is simply unfeasable.

I do agree that for people coming to the school as adults, the school is not very forthcoming at all about what sort of philosophy it offers (that in fact, it has a very particular set of ideas and beliefs and intends to stick to them despite it's great emphasis on "neither accept nor reject".)

Service is not a big deal either, and I quite enjoyed it. (everyone you see around the school when you attend is doing "service" - volunteering to clean the building, prepare the food and flowers, give childcare to those who can't afford it to attend class, etc.) However, for many people, giving up two full nights a week is not feasible. This, along with the initiation cost, makes staying with the school very unpractical for those with financial issues. So you'll find mostly middle-upperclass white people there once you get past the first few terms.

nomad

Postby nomad » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:16 pm

Thank you Free Thinker for your response. I don't think I want to spend time away from my family, 2 nights a week, a few w/e's a year and I just found out there's a one week intensive! If you only get two weeks a year vacation, one week has to be spent with them! I wonder how much more money you have to give them? Any ideas?

I have also heard that in the initiation ceremony that they describe everything perfectly except the reason they have you bowing down to some Indian dude. There are also photos all over the house of this guy. I guess he's the Maharishi or Guru Dev his teacher? Anybody know? I certainly don't think that it is right that they don't tell you this beforehand. It is an outright deception. I also believe that they put the most charismatic teachers out there sort of as a front and to suck you in. I have read on many pages here that you never get a straight answer for any questions you may ask, they are also good at skirting around the issue.

NYC

Postby NYC » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:43 pm

FT wrote:Yes, you need to be initiated to continue in the school. The SoPP places a big emphasis on meditation and you must be initiated to do it.

actually, a woman I'm friendly with has been attending classes in the NY school for years, four or five I think, but only comes on Monday nights and has not accepted initiation. She is a counselor and keeps office hours the other nights of the week. She decided she did not want to rearrange her schedule to accomodate the SoPP and they have not told her to quit.

You could look at this as "sidestreaming," I guess, since she ends up repeating the introductory levels over and over, but Part 1 is the "soup to nuts" version of what the SoPP/SES offers anyway...it seems like, in NY at least, the School can only push you around as much as you let it. After all, what's the worst thing they can do -- kick you out.

Return to “The North American schools”