Tracing the money trail

Discussion of the SES's satellite organisations in the USA.
bella

Postby bella » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:48 am

Keir, thanks for your post. I certainly don't assume you're delusional or paranoid, or that what you have to say is bitter hyperbole. You don't strike me as the irrational type.

This issue of working actively within the community is something that has piqued my interest, and it's something I'd like to raise when I come up with a workable scenario (any suggestions?). It may be that the idea is seen as not being feasible or desirable for whatever reason, but I'd be prepared to take the initiative on it. Individuals being encouraged to practise in their workplace or community life has merit, but I think a structured practical group effort has merit, too.

Stanton

Postby Stanton » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:33 am

In terms pf practical work for the benefit of the community don't forget Art in Action. People flock to Waterperry in their thousands.

Keir

Postby Keir » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:52 am

Hi Bella,

As far as making a suggestion for a community outreach project, I think that you are the most appropriate 'agent' as you are in place and have the intention. As they were so fond of telling us at the SES, action arises from need. My experience of how this was practised in the London SES at least was that it was hamstrung by an innability to be open to any need that might exist beyound its own gates.

'Art in Action' was I think one of the few occasions this was addressed with any degree of success, and at the beginning there were a number of interesting craftsmen and women (although typically the women were working in the baking and service sectors) not all of whom were mebers of the SES. The common ideal of the fine quality of attention demanded by craftsmen and philosophy students alike enabled the sometimes quite 'unholy' types into the environment and grounds of a SES run and maintained site. As to whether this addressed the needs of the nearby city of Oxford to be termed an outreach project but you could spot the family types who werent in SES tribal dress and brought their own beer. Sadly I think when it was noticed that the project had actually been succesful in serving the need of the local community for a nice picnic spot and a diverting day out, rather than raising their consciouness and converting them to SES members the plug was pulled.

It turned out that the community's biggest needs were not to celebrate craftsmanship but to have a new accesible patch of open space and manicured gardens to enjoy.

And therin lies the difficulty. By making assumptions that it knew best what the local people REALLY needed, and then not being flexible enough to respond to the new reality once it became apparent, the SES was left with the frustration at the rejection of their 'higher knowledge' rather than the satisfaction that they had done what they set out to do.

Whether the SES establishment that you attend would make the same assumptions at the beginning or be as inflexible as the London lot were is an important test of their practical application of such an event. Quite apart from my scepticism that you will be given leeway to pursue a personal project without the obfuscation of senior SES figures, when the prevailing culture I have seen is distrust of the world outside and a sense that it is 'pearls before swine', it would be a radical organisation indeed that turned all that bunkum on its head. I feel that even if you managed locally to do something valuable, word would get to the SES nervecentre and proscription would be forthcoming.

But with all of that I wish you well.

Goblinboy

Postby Goblinboy » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:55 am

daska wrote:I know of NO instance where the SES has undertaken work to benefit the community that the community in question actually needed, wanted or benefitted from.

Agree Daska.

Have been observing the SOP/SES for over 15 years, and only once did the local chapter on this side of the Pacific get involved in an unambiguously community-focused project, which I mentioned in my first post on this BB (see http://www.whyaretheydead.net/phpBB2/vi ... .php?t=167 ). It was the contribution of one day's labour to the building of a community playground.

When I've challenged SOP members on their apparent lack of philanthropic spirit, they initially protest and cite the existence of their primary school (!) as a major community benefit, and talk about providing where the need is greatest.

Clearly society is crying out for a tiny Edwardian-Adviata hybrid school, charging not insubstantial fees, located in one of the city's most exclusive suburbs.

Keir

Postby Keir » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:59 am

Stanton, just saw your post.

Didnt know they had restarted it after the rumour that I heard that it was being cancelled.

My point is still relevant, but I accept that my facts may be out of date.

Can you tell me if they are advertising it publicly in Oxford or just in SES institutions?

Stanton

Postby Stanton » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:19 pm

Art in Action is on next week at Waterperry from Thursday through to Sunday. According to the leaflet 25,000 visitors are expected (figures no doubt based on previous years) to see 300 artists and craftspeople. See www.artinaction.org.uk.

Gandalf

Weasel Waterperry Words

Postby Gandalf » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:14 am

At the heart of the SES structure is a weasel double standard. When it suits for promotional or propaganda purposes or when London decrees the SES presents itself as a single centrist global organisation. But as soon as there is any kind of problem or legal issue the schools instanstaneously morph into a myriad standalone 'unconnected' entities. Dvaita on demand.

The ethical dishonesty of ducking in and out of a collective brand may be modelled on other ideologies and organisations, perhaps even established religions, but that does not make the behaviour any less devious.

Looking at the recent postings and particularly the grandiloquent ?Waterperry declaration? referred to by FT in this string epitomises both the pretence at unity and the pretence of concern for issues outside its own small world. (pace Art in Action)

FT said:

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:33 pm

"The Waterperry Declaration -2003 from some conference the "ES" part of the school had recently regarding the world's poverty, free trade, etc. I found their statements to be pretty much on line with what I believe in, and rather liberal.
Now of course, how this relates to a school where all service is done FOR the school, and not for people who TRULY need service, I'm not sure.
But it's a great first step! Here's a link to the declaration.
http://www.schooleconomicscience.org/new/economics/economics-dec.htm

Well FT it sounds great and we can all feel warm about it like we can about G8 announcements about world poverty etc. It is nice that you feel it is ?a great first step?. However, if you analyse the wording of the Waterperry Declaration carefully all you get is an expression sentiments which are as wordy as they are worthy but phrased in such a way as not to rock any political or ideological boats or make the SES in any way controversial.

The ?Declaration? does not commit the SES to anything or any action in the public domain that might provoke public scrutiny and , as all can see, the SES will go to any lengths to avoid that. The ?declaration? is in fact the last step in the process masquerading as the first. It has no external focus and is articulated merely to induce a feelgood glow of righteousness in the departing attendees.

FT If you were able to scratch the SES accounts a little more deeply you might well also find the Declaration was issued as an output device to justify the SES paying for airfares, food and accommodation for the legally ?unconnected? School Leaders from across the globe to come for a two month residential at Waterperry serviced by SES drones presided over by the ?Capo di tutti I Capi?.

But perhaps Lambie?s real inclinations in regard to the SES relations with the 'outside' world were revealed the day he came metaphorically bounding into a meeting (it was some years ago ? the cares of office mean he doesn?t bound any more, even metaphorically) to announce he had found a wonderful new adjective ?STREUTHEOUS- which means ?ostrich-like, predisposed to bury one?s head in the sand?. Right on.

Free Thinker

Postby Free Thinker » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:01 am

Gandalf - Oh yes, I realize that it's all superficial and meaningless. I was, however, very surprised that they actually wrote it. Of course, I know little about the "ES" portion of the school since it is not emphasized in the NY school and I never took either of the two economics courses offered.

I didn't realize how much the organization switches between being united and being separate entities (although I noticed the statement about them being separate on the SES site when looking up info on the Boston school.) Can you tell us a bit more about this?

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:24 am

well they seemed to have moved on from their "people are starving in [insert African country here] because they were greedy in their previous lives".

ET

Postby ET » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:54 am

Art In Action is very much still up and running, and is advertised widely. My partner is an artist, and subscribes to "Artist and Illustrator " magazine. There is a large ad for AiA in there this month. Also,when I lived in Brighton I would often see posters advertising it in art shops and art venues.

I don't think AiA in itself is that damaging, but of course it is yet another vehicle for the SES to peddle their screwed philosophies and also to exploit both members and pupils. I remember my class being made to sell programmes there in the mid-eighties. We were made to stand outside in the heat with no protection from the sun, in our uniforms, and were given money belts. If our money belts didn't add up at the end of the day, there was hell to pay, and the same if we didn't sell many programmes. I seem to remember they were priced at ?5 each, which meant that hardly anyone wanted to buy them. There was also an SES "stall", with SES "literature" being given out to people. I've no idea if this still goes on, but it seems likely.

SES are very very good at doing harmful things dressed up as good.

HoHumBug

AiA

Postby HoHumBug » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:41 am

ET :
Artfulness in Action is doing it even better now that advertising smart-aleck Jeremy Sinclair (crony of Lambie, uncelebrated star of the SES movie the Invisibles, trustee of the Jyoti Trust, the Educational Renaissance Trust, the SES Executive, etc. etc) is running it instead of nice old Bernard Saunders (who was an artist). All part of the process of slicking up the SES PR machine.

Frodo

Postby Frodo » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:17 pm

Very telling. Aha. As soon as SES realised that people were enjoying themselves at Art in Action they cancelled it. Typical. Just goes to prove that it is contrary to SES deranged doctrinal mores to experience pleasure or love or any sort of emotional, er ... emotion. Also typical of their complete stupidity that it took the twenty five years to notice. Oh, hang on, just read Stanton's post ... it's not cancelled. Well, still, I stand by my statement because ... I made it and ... because it's obviously true.

Frodo

Postby Frodo » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:36 pm

Important note, Ross. Bearing in mind that the SES is extremely similar to the organisation you describe, ie, people appearing to be respectable and a couple of other things ... how do you nip out of a message to read a bit of the board? Ah well, bearing in mind this spooky parallel between the two set-ups, and knowing now that the one you described was totally corrupt, it must follow that the SES also owns helicopters. I think we should be told.

Gandalf

Whence helicopters?

Postby Gandalf » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:17 pm

Dear Frodo,
Nice to hear from you after all this time. Is it really you?
I hope you enjoyed New Zealand.
No need for helicopters when astral travel is available.
Am I missing something? Where did Ross fly helicopters into the conversation - or is it just a flight of fancy on your part?
Kind regards,
Gandalf

Frodo

Postby Frodo » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:26 pm

Dear Gandalf,

Listen, I nicked a name from LOTR before you! But I was more modest. I salute you, oh wise wizard.

Ross made some parallel with SES and some Australian scam to suggest that SES was a bit dodgy with its cash. Helicopters came into it somewhere. Anyway, I thought it a bit much, really. I just think it's a spurious way of throwing mud. SES/Nazi, SES/Catholic abusers, SES/some weird sect from the US. I think if you're gonna make an allegation, make a real one. Snowman says an SES man ran off with his mother and nobody in SES helped. That's a real allegation. Mind you, his anguish extends to blaming the SES for moral culpability which presupposes a sort of closed community with a central authority over every aspect of people's lives. Which, as I understand it, it isn't. Which also irritates me a bit. On the one hand people moan about the SES being insular and interfering, then they complain that it doesn't do this or that to sort out marriages. I'm very sad for Snowman but somebody ran off with his mother and that's that.

Best wishes and how is the far country these days?

Frodo

Return to “The North American schools”