Debenham and Caldwell in New York

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
Tom Grubb

Debenham and Caldwell in New York

Postby Tom Grubb » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:43 pm

I was surfing the web just now and I came across this site: http://www.abrahamlincolnschool.org/herald/00fall.htm

This, it would seem, is the sister school to St James in the USA. I noticed a couple of names and faces from the past: Nicholas Debenham and Sheilah Caldwell. And who's that John Hipshon character? Any relation to the thug who assaulted me and many of my former colleagues at St Vedast, I wonder.

Scroll down and there's a portrait of none other than Leonardo da Vinci MacLaren accompanied by these moving words:

On September 25th, 2000, the Abraham Lincoln School joined its sister schools around the world in celebrating the birthday of Mr. Leon MacLaren. It was his unique vision of education that guides all these schools.

At the Lower School Assembly, Mrs. Solowey asked what qualities could be seen in a photograph of Mr. MacLaren. With delight they offered "kindness," "truth" and "bliss." The threefold promise was then recited by the children, reaffirming their commitment to be truthful and live according to the fine laws of the Creation, the cornerstone of their education. The story of the lion who was raised with sheep, which the children know and love, was retold and they were reminded of the "real lion" that lies within each of us. In order to wake up to that, access to a "real lion," who reminds us of who we truly are, is needed. Mr. MacLaren is that "real lion" to anyone who knew him and all those who hear of him through their teachers.

We concluded the assembly with the School Chorus, grades 4-7, singing O Thou Lord Supreme, a magnificent masterpiece composed by Mr. MacLaren. The level of attention to this celebration and the joy experienced was the greatest testament of all to the founder and leader whose full name bespoke such scope: Leonardo da Vinci MacLaren.

"Magnificent masterpiece" my arse! And I wonder with quite how much "delight" the children offered those words of praise for the god-like MacLaren.

Does anyone have any more information on the SES's involvement in schools in the USA?

mgormez

Re: Debenham and Caldwell in New York

Postby mgormez » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:17 am

Tom Grubb wrote:I was surfing the web just now and I came across this site: http://www.abrahamlincolnschool.org/herald/00fall.htm

This, it would seem, is the sister school to St James in the USA.

Nice find! And you're right, "Ark and Abraham Lincoln School were both started by students of The School of Practical Philosophy..."
http://www.abrahamlincolnschool.org/fac ... s_main.htm

"Most teachers at the school are students of The School of Practical Philosophy..."
http://www.abrahamlincolnschool.org/fac ... y_main.htm

That's the name the SES is know under in the US.
Mike Gormez

ANON

Re: Debenham and Caldwell in New York

Postby ANON » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:36 pm

OH, the pictures of all the heads!.... and that's Nanpanton! Bringing me back to the old days. :evilbat:

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:52 pm

"The principles under which the school works are as follows:

- To give children information of the simple principles of spiritual knowledge, knowledge of the universe, mankind, and the individual?s relation thereto.

- To remind the child of the essential human duties ? to remember the Creator, to live according to the fine laws of the universe, and to find the way back to God.

- To give disciplined practice in spiritual, mental, and physical fields, including training in appropriate skills. "

quite a good school......

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:07 pm

"The principles under which the school works are as follows:

- To give children information of the simple principles of spiritual knowledge, knowledge of the universe, mankind, and the individual?s relation thereto.

- To remind the child of the essential human duties ? to remember the Creator, to live according to the fine laws of the universe, and to find the way back to God.

- To give disciplined practice in spiritual, mental, and physical fields, including training in appropriate skills. "

quite a good school......

Or religious brainwashing?

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:21 pm

How about a school that teaches children how to think, not what to think? How about a school that doesn't impose supposed "principles of spiritual knowledge" and assertions about the existence a "Creator" on susceptible youngsters? How about a school that lets its pupils decide for themselves what "the essential human duties" may or may not be? How about a school that teaches "the fine laws of the universe" based on the best scientific evidence not on the views of some tedious SES guru? Now that would be a good school.....

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:26 pm

hmmm religious brain washing....

Indoctrination of religion will happen if you are born into a religious family anyway, however as you grow up you learn about other religions, and as when you started of from one path, all these different ways open automatically, and that is when its upto you in what path or way you choose.

Growing up into a family where religion is considered quite important, it sort of gave me a faith, in which if all else failed, when I thought the whole world was against me I could go and pray to God, for 'God is everywhere, and always there'.

Now nearly an adult I feel I have a choice whether I want to belive in the religion I grew up in, or follow something else, or not follow anything. As i did go through a phase where I belived that religion did not make sense and that I was not going to follow it!

I belive that just because a school/family teach you the foundations of a religion or a way of life at a young age it does not close down your choices in the future. Being brought up in a religion did no harm to me, nor anyone else I know, and so I belive that being taught a religion or a way of life at a young age is not so terrible.

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:33 pm

Tom Grubb wrote:How about a school that teaches children how to think, not what to think? How about a school that doesn't impose supposed "principles of spiritual knowledge" and assertions about the existence a "Creator" on susceptible youngsters? How about a school that lets its pupils decide for themselves what "the essential human duties" may or may not be? How about a school that teaches "the fine laws of the universe" based on the best scientific evidence not on the views of some tedious SES guru? Now that would be a good school.....

I suppose there cannot be a school which suits everyone. I am not saying that a good school is a school for everyone.... for there are many schools which are good in their own way.

St James (for girls) does allow discussion sessions with the headmistress, as she is the one who takes all the girls for philosophy atleast once a week. In there we do discuss many aspects, and those who are more questionable do come out with breath taking questions which make the whole class think.

Spirituality cannot be based on scientific evidence.

Antises

Postby Antises » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:50 am

Tom Grubb wrote:How about a school that doesn't impose supposed "principles of spiritual knowledge" and assertions about the existence a "Creator" on susceptible youngsters?

The idea of a "Creator" is common to most religions, and considering that practically everyone in the SES-affiliated schools have been brought up in a religion, it does no harm to make this claim. I totally agree, though, that the Sesaholics should be more sensitive in the way they put across their ideas to impressionable youngsters. Personally, I believe, and please correct me if I am wrong, that the alternative to believing in a "Creator" and (by extension) a purpose to life is to believe that there is no purpose to human life and that it is chance combined with mutations and Darwinian natural selection *alone* that has brought all life to Earth. Do you sincerely believe that children should only be informed of the second view? Because it seems to me that this is just as bad as "asserting about the existence of a 'Creator'".

How about a school that lets its pupils decide for themselves what "the essential human duties" may or may not be? How about a school that teaches "the fine laws of the universe" based on the best scientific evidence not on the views of some tedious SES guru?

This may be a pessimistic view, but if boys are not told that there are "essential human duties" or what they might be, they will not care (and, possibly, they will never care). Of course the schools should allow freedom of thought, which may have been denied in the past in SES-affiliated schools (and maybe today too, but there is little evidence of this at St James Senior Boys - I cannot comment about the other schools). As far as "the views of some tedious SES guru" are concerned, I agree that the excessively hierarchal structure in the SES is a massive problem. Although I utterly despise the leader of the SES I must reveal that at St James Senior Boys the "best scientific evidence" is taught (obviously in science lessons) and that, if the views of some SES-guru are being taught, those views don't seem to have sunk in.

mgormez

Nicholas Debenham in Hinduism Today

Postby mgormez » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:14 am

St. James School-An Eclectic Alternative
http://www.hinduismtoday.com/archives/1 ... 1-03.shtml

I've written the publication about the "London School of Economics" error.
Mike Gormez

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:37 pm

Here is a quote from Mike's article:
So Hindu parents must weigh the benefits (first-class education and a spiritual environment) against the drawbacks (mandatory participation in Christian prayer and the predominance of Christian scripture) in deciding to send their children here.

It is interesting how you assume that Hindu parents will consider "mandatory participation in Christian prayer and the predominance of Christian scripture" to be a drawback. I know many devout Hindu parents who do not hold this attitude at all. It is unfortunately very typical of western culture to notice the differences between religions more than their similarities. The details may be different but the essence is the same. (I do understand that this is a view commonly aired by the SES, but please do not mistake this for support for the SES.) Thus the true Hindu would think in the fashion of the quote below from Ramakrishna.

All religions are true. God can be reached by different religions. Many rivers flow by many ways but they fall into the sea. They all are one.

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:51 am

Personally, I believe, and please correct me if I am wrong, that the alternative to believing in a "Creator" and (by extension) a purpose to life is to believe that there is no purpose to human life and that it is chance combined with mutations and Darwinian natural selection *alone* that has brought all life to Earth

I really don't see how a disbeleif in a "creator" automatically means there is NO purpose to human life.

Misty

Postby Misty » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:20 am

Anonymous wrote:
All religions are true. God can be reached by different religions. Many rivers flow by many ways but they fall into the sea. They all are one.

I just thought I should let everyone know....I sincerely love this quote from the depth of my heart!

Misty

Postby Misty » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:23 am

a different guest wrote:
Personally, I believe, and please correct me if I am wrong, that the alternative to believing in a "Creator" and (by extension) a purpose to life is to believe that there is no purpose to human life and that it is chance combined with mutations and Darwinian natural selection *alone* that has brought all life to Earth

I really don't see how a disbeleif in a "creator" automatically means there is NO purpose to human life.

Is there a purpose to life? Don't you just die in the end? So why achieve the things you do in life? Surely religion gives you a purpose to your life? Well for me it has!

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:48 am

Misty wrote:Is there a purpose to life? Don't you just die in the end? So why achieve the things you do in life? Surely religion gives you a purpose to your life? Well for me it has!

Perhaps we need to diversify between the purpose to life, and purpose of a life.

I know lots of people who have found a meaning in life without a religion, so I don't suppose it is necessary.
Mike Gormez

Return to “St James and St Vedast”