List of affilated schools

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
Alban
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:23 am
Location: London

Postby Alban » Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:37 pm

Small self-regulated groups of like-minded individuals can work, but as soon as a hierarchy starts to develop, then it is time to dis-band.

With the advent of the popularisation of the net, small groups like this have been springing up all over the place for the last few years - but alas, they are subject to the same internal pressures as a group that meets face-to-face.

Message boards are absolutely ideal for this, and it is relatively easy and cheap to start your own if you cannot find one that concentrates on the subjects you desire to discuss. Unfortunately, as they become more popular, they become more expensive to maintain, both in time to moderate and in bandwidth charges. On this note, I would like to thank Mike for his effort and financial commitment in starting this one.

Tom Grubb
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: London

Postby Tom Grubb » Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:14 pm

Alban wrote:
Message boards are absolutely ideal for this, and it is relatively easy and cheap to start your own if you cannot find one that concentrates on the subjects you desire to discuss. Unfortunately, as they become more popular, they become more expensive to maintain, both in time to moderate and in bandwidth charges. On this note, I would like to thank Mike for his effort and financial commitment in starting this one.

Hear, hear!

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:23 am

Antises wrote:The lastest absurdity in modern art ...

Shakespeare is, understandably, big in England compared to other countries,

There is a factor which you're forgetting called "money". For years containing just 20 pupils, it is simply impractical to offer 6 different sports! The fact that sport is compulsory at all is a great credit when child obesity levels are at the highest ever.

French and German are also offered to those who want to take those instead.

From the dependable Wikipedia: "... I do not have statistics at hand, but a "Media Studies degree" was considered by international employers to be one of the least appropriate degrees for almost all the jobs they offered.


For your information, both criticize and criticise are acceptable in an Englishman's English, whilst only criticize is acceptable in American English. I have developed a habit of using on public forums the spelling that is acceptable to more people


Par 1. Perhaps you just don't understand it. Being "absurd" may be the point! *g* There are some fantastic examples of modern art - you can sit in the National Gallery here and sink into Pollocks "Blue Poles" just as much as you can sit in the gallery in London and sink into Monets waterlilies.

Par 2: Shaekspeare is big in any english country. However normal schools do not hold up Shakespeare as the single best writer in the entire world to which any other work is inferior (to one degree or another). Here Shakespeare is studied in high school, along with many other works of literature - both classics and modern.

Par 3: If you want girls to be active why dress them in long frocks that restrict their movements? It is better for kids to be active than to restrict activity to designated periods for sport.

Par 4: Instead? I read it that at least one classical language was compulsory. But perhaps I am mistaken?

Par 5: Never heard of your source. And I would not go to an encyclopedia anyway - there are generally pretty useless as a reference source as they try to cover too much ground and fail in the detail. Tertiary courses in media studies are very well regarded here - some institutions more than others. As the point of a mediastudies course is ususally to get a job in journalism or the media - the students here have no problem getting a job (though they MIGHT have problems getting a job for something they are not trained for),

Par 6: z spellings are NOT acceptable here - they are considered american dialect english. Just because there are more americans is no reason to adopt their spelling. Do you drop the "u" in colour too?

the annoyed

Postby the annoyed » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:32 am

a different guest wrote: Just because there are more americans is no reason to adopt their spelling. Do you drop the "u" in colour too?


I ask you, O great teacher, how must one from the UK spell the following: civilisation? Or civilization?

the annoyed

Postby the annoyed » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:38 am

a different guest wrote: Here Shakespeare is studied in high school, along with many other works of literature - both classics and modern.



How wanderfull, likewise here in St James too! hmm.... Jane Austen, Geroge Owell, Dickens, Mildred D Taylor, Vikram Seth, Steinbeck... are many of the other books we study apart from ancient myths and Shakespeare!

Yes both classics and modern.... what is your point???

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:10 am

If you had bothered to follow the thread (something which you seem incapable of doing) then you would know what the point was. It is just like the point being made in the Muzak thread.

and civilisation is spelt with an "s" - the "z" spelling is American English which is a dialect.

Now go be a good troll and read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" - you might find it enlightening.

Antises

Postby Antises » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:11 pm

a different guest wrote:Par 1. Perhaps you just don't understand it. Being "absurd" may be the point! *g*...

Par 2: Shaekspeare is big in any english country. However normal schools do not hold up Shakespeare as the single best writer in the entire world...

Par 3: If you want girls to be active why dress them in long frocks that restrict their movements?...

Par 4: Instead? I read it that at least one classical language was compulsory. But perhaps I am mistaken?

Par 5: Never heard of your source...

Par 6: z spellings are NOT acceptable here - they are considered american dialect english. Just because there are more americans is no reason to adopt their spelling. Do you drop the "u" in colour too?


1: To claim that something absurd ("Completely devoid of wisdom or good sense") is worthwhile is contradictory (to me anyway).

2: Firstly, refer to "the annoyed"'s comment. Secondly, realize that English would not be as it is if it were not for Shakespeare, simply because he invented many of the words we use today.

3: Girls change into games kit before they play sports.

4: I meant "instead of the two classics subjects they were not taking".

5: It was a respectable newspaper which was actually trying to diminish the results of the poll, but the poll showed the truth nonetheless. Unfortunately, I cannot find it published on the internet.

6: I am no expert in English, so I will not argue back. You, however, seem to think you are. In the end, the message comes across - surely the most important thing?

a different guest wrote:(something which you seem incapable of doing]

Stop making personal insults. They do not aid your argument.

User avatar
a different guest
Posts: 620
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:13 am
Location: Australia

Postby a different guest » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:33 am

1: Sorry to hear that. The absurd can be wonderfully worthwhile

2: For someone who is "not an expert in English", that is a very bizarre claim. Also many authors "invent" words that end up in the english language.

3. The fact that they NEED to wear special clothes to be active IS the point.

4. Thank you for clarification.

5. Resepectable where? Surely if it was so respectable I would have heard of it. I've know the names of a number of "respectable" newspapers in the UK and US - and "wikipedia" is not one of them.

6. I am not an expert either - but as a person who loves diversity and the richness of the various english languages, I find the homogonising affect of "american cultural imperialism" *g* a matter of concern.

And I was not personally insulting "annoyed" (even tho many of her posts are VERY insulting and rude), but merely making an observation. It's not the first time she's obviously not bothered to read a thread and jumped in with post like that. In one case I had answered a question of hers quite fully and 2 days later she accuses me of "ignoring" her question.

mgormez
Posts: 501
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:33 pm
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Postby mgormez » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:30 am

Alban wrote:Message boards are absolutely ideal for this, and it is relatively easy and cheap to start your own if you cannot find one that concentrates on the subjects you desire to discuss. Unfortunately, as they become more popular, they become more expensive to maintain, both in time to moderate and in bandwidth charges.


No worries, yet. The costs are so far peanuts and the board takes up less than 1% of space of this site -- though the traffic is impressive :)

If keeping up with reading gets a problem for me, I'll ask one or more from this group to moderate it (sometimes quick-rich scheme postings are dumped here because no login is required). I am sure something could be worked out then.
Mike Gormez

the annoyed

Postby the annoyed » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:45 pm

a different guest wrote:
And I was not personally insulting "annoyed" (even tho many of her posts are VERY insulting and rude), but merely making an observation. It's not the first time she's obviously not bothered to read a thread and jumped in with post like that. In one case I had answered a question of hers quite fully and 2 days later she accuses me of "ignoring" her question.


hey ADG,

I appoligise for accusing you of ignoring my question. I was totally wrong, and I hope you can forgive me.

Yes i have been jumping to may conclusions, therefore it's time to retire from all this nonsence...

all the best in the furture to all of you

the last time i will have to be,

the annoyed

Guest

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:46 pm

mgormez wrote:I'll ask one or more from this group to moderate it (sometimes quick-rich scheme postings are dumped here because no login is required). I am sure something could be worked out then.


will the moderators be biased is certain ways? How would you pick them?

mgormez
Posts: 501
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:33 pm
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Postby mgormez » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:12 pm

Anonymous wrote:
mgormez wrote:I'll ask one or more from this group to moderate it (sometimes quick-rich scheme postings are dumped here because no login is required). I am sure something could be worked out then.


will the moderators be biased is certain ways? How would you pick them?


There's no one here who isn't biased and non-opinionated people are boring anyway. I was thinking, when that time comes, to put it both in a former and current SES member's hands. That would mean I've to modify the software because this board normally only allows a single person as moderator on a specific topic.
Mike Gormez

adrasteia (can't sign in)

Arts

Postby adrasteia (can't sign in) » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:00 pm

In response to the debate on the absurd in the arts (although this is most obvious in 'Art' it can be seen in branches such as music and theatre).
'Absurdism' is a movement (of which there are many offshoots) springing from modernism and post-modernism (which itself is a reaction to modernism)
The aim of most of this art is to cause a reaction in the veiwer, which actually becomes the meaning of the art and reason for it.
So the response of the veiwer becomes what the art is, or at least a major part of it.
In this way I would agree that the absurd can have its worth.
<HR>
Tom, I was interested to hear you are researching the Ses. I don't think you'll have any problems finding links between the Ses and the day schools. Although this may be easier in the schools abroad, as the London St. James is more careful to disguise links. My believe is that this is in reaction to the publishing of the book 'The Secret Cult'
Where you may have difficulties is finding out about how St. James is run in reality. ie what actualy happens beneath the surface.
You'll find it hard to get people to tell you, as if they're teachers it's unprofessional, and most will be 'in' the Ses and will therefore probably not see anything strange! But will be unwilling to talk anyway.
Gadflys_dreams posted some interesting questions on the Anti_ses site, but of course no-one has answered them.
I have a feeling that the answers would be quite interesting!
But good luck with your research.

adrasteia (can't sign in)

Postby adrasteia (can't sign in) » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:07 pm

Sorry, the <HR> is html code and was supposed to produce a line half way through the message to make it easier to read!
That'll teach me to try and be clever! lol
:neutral:

Tom Grubb
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: London

Postby Tom Grubb » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:09 pm

Thanks, andrasteia!

It certainly is difficult to get any straight info on St James. It would be great if someone could post a detailed description of what goes on there these days.


Return to “St James and St Vedast”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests