Maybe St James really has changed!

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
User avatar
bella
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:52 am

Postby bella » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:23 pm

Has anyone heard a tutor admit they don't know/know why?

Yeah, I've had four so far. Adrasteia, your generalisations may be helpful to people who wish to assume the SES in all its forms is evil, but it really doesn't serve the facts. Please stick to your experience, because I'm finding out more and more from interacting here that people have very different interpretations of the same event.

adrasteia (can't sign in)

(still having problems signing in- but this is me!)

Postby adrasteia (can't sign in) » Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:36 pm

bella wrote:Has anyone heard a tutor admit they don't know/know why?

Yeah, I've had four so far. Adrasteia, your generalisations may be helpful to people who wish to assume the SES in all its forms is evil, but it really doesn't serve the facts. Please stick to your experience, because I'm finding out more and more from interacting here that people have very different interpretations of the same event.


My generalisations are based on my experiences, sorry if they sound very much like vague sweeping comments. They are based on fact, but get your point about people interpreting this in different ways. I cannot speak too specifically as it might make it obvious who I am, and I prefer to remain anonymous as I feel more comfortable.
My intention is not to label the Ses as evil. No, really! I'm glad someone has been able to tell me that tutors are able to admit they are wrong!
I do not condone the philosophy.
I suppose my attitude is that there are still things the Ses which need addressing: I am worried about the strong veiws that come from people who have left the Ses with bad feelings and feel there are things to be learnt from them. These strong feelings must come from somewhere, and I think many of the reasons for them remain ignored by Ses. For example, the stories of child abuse on these sites has never been admitted by St. James let alone confronted, how would it be know about if it were not for the internet? It would be forgotten.

adrasteia- again!

Postby adrasteia- again! » Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:42 pm

I'm worried there are still things in the day schools which need addressing. I feel that Ses is a large influence on them which is where my interest in it comes from.
I'm not sure what I can do, but saying something and hearing what others say must be a first step.

Curious

What philosophy?

Postby Curious » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:36 pm

I do not condone the philosophy.

Adrasteia - I get the fact that you are concerned. What I'm not sure about is what you take to be the 'philosophy' that you don't condone. I've read some quite strange notions people hold about the SES on this website. I wonder if you could explain a bit more what you see this philosophy as? A lot of the time people seem to be objecting to some set of ideas they have in their heads which they have projected onto the SES.

Curious

Me again

Postby Curious » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:43 pm

adrasteia- again! wrote:I'm worried there are still things in the day schools which need addressing.


Such as? Agreed that past wrongs need redressing, but you imply that you mean things in the present. What, specifically?



[quote error fixed - mike]

Curious

Quoting

Postby Curious » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:46 pm

Sorry - haven't got the hang of this 'quotes' business. got it the wrong way round. :-)

mgormez
Posts: 501
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:33 pm
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: Quoting

Postby mgormez » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:27 pm

Curious wrote:Sorry - haven't got the hang of this 'quotes' business. got it the wrong way round. :-)


You have forgotten to close the quote with "[/quote]". Can happen.
Mike Gormez

Guest

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:41 pm

adrasteia- again! wrote:I'm worried there are still things in the day schools which need addressing. I feel that Ses is a large influence on them which is where my interest in it comes from.
I'm not sure what I can do, but saying something and hearing what others say must be a first step.


What are these things that still need to be adressed in the day schools?

adrasteia(can't sign in)

Postby adrasteia(can't sign in) » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:32 am

Have you been reading any of the things that the present pupils have come out with?
Does any of it disturb you?
Sometimes they say they agree with the school and then can't say what is is they agree with.
Look at the St. James Website (girls or boys) the links with Ses I feel are not properly mentioned. Then look at the Ses site, it's a little more open about the obvious connections!
I will try and write more when I get a moment.

User avatar
adrasteia
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:55 am

Postby adrasteia » Fri May 21, 2004 11:49 am

My problems with the school are not necessarily with the actual teaching, although I have expressed a few gripes on this site. I believe that some people are being wronged in the name of philosophy.
Ses becomes a method of taking advantage of people, using their devotion. It's not like this for everyone, but I know people do 'get it bad',. Basically, I believe that dubious things going on in Ses spill over into the school, because it is basically completely run and staffed by Ses members.
I think that when someone is very much 'pro' the school, then it is easy to get them to do what the senior members of Ses think is right for them, or indeed what they want them to do. It may not be best for the person.
I haven't much proof for this- that I have is not my story to tell, but I know it is a problem.
If people speak out against the school, in any way, the problems begin.
I hope that by posting messages it will provide an opening for people to write their experiences.

Alpha - Current Pupil

Postby Alpha - Current Pupil » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:05 pm

I think I should point out to you that being a current pupil I can give you the best view on Katherine Watson.

For one she now has a Phd, so is Dr.Watson to me. And in all honesty I have to say she is one of the best there. She is intellectual, realistic helpful and honest. And currently being in sixth form I am treated with adult respect which gives me a better view on the situation.

Has St.James really changed? Quite frankly, Yes.

I read this forum and was shocked, stunned, and horrified at what I have discovered and will be confronting Dr.Watson about it tommorow, however I must say. It has changed, quite a few of the old teachers have left, including Mr. Barber, Mr. Russel etc, however we still have two to name. Dr. Hipshon, and Mr. Lacey, however only Dr. Hipshon still shows signs of what you have described here. The new teachers who have replaced the old are generally young at heart and sometimes young too. They come with open ideas and all seam to find the philosophy of the school rather ridiculous.

Anyway in short, the school has changed and Dr.Watson is not the minority you speak of.

Tom Grubb
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: London

Postby Tom Grubb » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:42 pm

Alpha,

I'm very gald to hear from a current pupil that things are now so different at St James.

Please let us know what Dr Watson says when you confront her tomorrow. I'd also be fascinated to hear what Mr Lacey and Dr Hipshon think. Would it be possible for you to question them about the school's past?

Yes, the 'philosophy' of the school is ridiculous. It's wonderful to hear that teachers can now express that. Are pupils also allowed to say such things?

All the best,

Tom

Antises

Postby Antises » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:23 am

Tom Grubb wrote:Are pupils also allowed to say such things?

Pupils are allowed to say anything they like within reason. All the teachers are willing to listen to what pupils have to say, but admittedly there are a few (and it is only a few) who will provide standard or useless responses. As Alpha points out, this welcome progress is due to inevitable changes as years go by and the introduction of youth to the staff.

As far as the 'philosophy' goes, in the Senior Schools at least pupils are encouraged to give their own opinions on any piece of 'philosophy', and this averts any chance of brainwashing, together with the fact that the 'philosophy' (however ridiculous) is presented in a less instructive manner. As for myself, I agree with some aspects of the philosophy and disagree with others: I am guilty of the "new age consumerism" mentioned in another thread. But no philosophy informs the way I live as much as my upbringing which has been undertaken by my parents.

User avatar
adrasteia
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:55 am

Postby adrasteia » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:45 pm

Hmmm, there are still efforts to convert the new blood though.
It's what the Ses really needs right now- a steady input of new members from the day schools, teacher or pupil. Otherwise it will all fall apart. A society is nothing without members.
Right or Wrong?
Certainly not illegal.

Justcurious
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:04 pm

Postby Justcurious » Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:03 am

Even if St. James has changed, it can only change so far. A school run by a cult can't be a normal school, ever. It may get better, but I think it is just going with the wind, if they were allowed to use corpral punishment, they would. St. James was a what seems harmful school and a very obscure one. You can't change it while the people who believe its philosophy are still there.


[quote tag error fixed -- mike]


Return to “St James and St Vedast”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest