The Seventh Form?s Independent Inquiry?

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
Goblinboy

Postby Goblinboy » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:24 am

Digressing slightly, but the 7th Form has a very odd little website.

The tale of the recent lacrosse match where the 7th Form team beat the St James' School team (which includes a twelve-year old member) 15 goals to 1 is grotesquesly amusing, enhanced by the guileless enthusiasm of the writer, who doesn't seem to appreciate the rich absurdity of her position. One wonders what level of inter-cultural sensitivity is taught at St James, if the gap year account of somebody by the name of Adrian Green is anything to go by:

"Climbing Ayres Rock it was perhaps the most dangerous thing I've ever done, but the views from the top and the feeling of space and peace is indescribable."

The Rock's name is actually Uluru. It is made clear to all visitors that the local Anangu people request that visitors not climb the rock, partly due to the path crossing an important dreaming track, and also a sense of responsibility for the safety of visitors to their land.

Conspicuous by its absence is the lack of reference to the SES in the website, while its shadow looms large in all of the organisations mentioned therein.

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:21 am

The tale of the recent lacrosse match where the 7th Form team beat the St James' School team (which includes a twelve-year old member) 15 goals to 1

Oh what values are learnt in these schools? Thrashing a team with 12 year olds in it. That certainly is something to boast about.

"Climbing Ayres Rock it was perhaps the most dangerous thing I've ever done,

What a closeted life this Adrian has had. Aside from the TOTAL lack of cultural sensitivity (as addressed in GB's post) I must admit that, many many MANY years ago, back when the rock was not in traditional ownership, was only known as Ayer's Rock and only an academic of indigenous studies would be aware that climbing the rock was, well, rude - I admit I did "climb" the rock. It is a steep uphill walk (with a chain to hold onto) followed by a gentle up and downy traverse to the highest point. Very hard to get lost as there is a white line painted on the surface to follow. Dangerous? Thank goodness Adrians "gap year" did not also encompass a visit to the Giant's Stairway at Katoomba!

Keir

Postby Keir » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:55 pm

If you ask me, his statement is slimier than an oiled slug with a headcold. But then its been a long time since I thought that the Old Boys Assoc. (as was) had anything to offer the past pupils. Maybe it is more appropriately named now.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and is actually a duck, you might as well call it a duck too.

K

parent

Happy Place?

Postby parent » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:46 am

Happy Place? Whiich School are you talking about? I withdrew my child from this so called happy place.

Guess what, I have a happy child now! FINALLY! I dread to think of the happiness of my child if left there longer.

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:37 am

Parent - how recent are your experiences. Can you share? Which school? St James or one in another country?

Return to “St James and St Vedast”