ST JAMES GIRLS

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
Matthew

Postby Matthew » Tue May 10, 2005 8:51 pm

NYC wrote:tell me...what is marmite? (sounds scary, makes me think of "parasite")
NYC

Marmite, "the growing up spread" as the advert went. Its a brand name for yeast extract - rich in all the B vitamins! Yummy ;-)
Apparently the Aussies have a version called 'vegemite'. No doubt Goblin or ADG can confirm this.

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Tue May 10, 2005 10:34 pm

Yes it is called Vegemite and is FAR superior to Marmite imho.

Actually its a bit like the dog people/cat people thing - if you love Marmite you will hate Vegemite - and vica versa.

But don't fret Matthew - if you ever visit Marmite IS also available down here, so no need to bring your own stash :)

sallyj

St James Girls

Postby sallyj » Wed May 11, 2005 6:46 pm

anyone who had tomato soup or rice was obviously much later on in the St.James/Vedast experience.
In the early days, all food was raw and cold (even on the coldest day) and I seem to remember one rule saying that you were only allowed four different items per meal. I also remember my sister being forced to eat cheese at lunchtime even though she has always hated dairy products.
So many other rules, you were allowed honey, but NOT on your bread, you were'nt allowed to use the salad veg to make a salad etc etc.
I can't believe it looking back, we had that long commute in all weathers and no hot food!! I agree there should be a new thread for food!!

leonmich

Postby leonmich » Wed May 11, 2005 10:06 pm

..yes, we were not allowed to make sandwiches at the table. What was the stupid reasoning behind that? And no salad, no salad dressing. I was allowed to spread honey (that really grim thick crusty hard stuff) on rolls in the evening at group nights, (so on some days of the week all I ate was brown bread as the cheese made me ill.) Actually the rolls were pretty good. Then have to sit and listen till 10.30 to some self appointed guru drone on about sat chit ananda all night

What a miserable fu***ng existance!

daska

Postby daska » Thu May 12, 2005 7:46 pm

Lunches in the cottage with Arthur Farndell. These were always in silence. Having to wait, in silence, to be offered food that you only ate cos you were starving. And yes Sally you're right, only four foods! Easy choice though seeing as there wasn't a great variety to choose from: bread, cottage cheese, marmite and tomatos. I think I lived on those four things for years. Except of course that they brought in that rule that you always had to start with a piece of fruit...

i loathe and detest raw apples

and then exactly the same diet at home :-(

daska

Postby daska » Thu May 26, 2005 5:30 pm

I can remember how jealous I was of the girl who got lamb for lunch - I think the smell permeated the entire queensgate setup!

Daffy

Postby Daffy » Fri May 27, 2005 10:49 am

My abiding memories of St James food:

* Those disgusting small green apples with the thick sandpaper-like skin - what was the name of this type? Presumably these were the ones the horses wouldn't eat. We were given them to eat at break times and at lunch.
* The Duralex glasses from which we drank the only beverage available: water. I see them everywhere these days to serve lattes, and they always remind me of school.
* The heavy wholemeal bread.
* The stale cheddar cheese.
* Not forgetting the yogurt (which apart from the skin I didn't mind that much, actually!)

I wonder what Jamie Oliver would have thought of our diet?

daska

Postby daska » Fri May 27, 2005 10:39 pm

Though inedible, our school meals were exceedingly healthy in a lot of respects - except of course if you had a dairy or wheat intolerance or just couldn't get enough down you to maintain a flea because it was so loathsome. Personally I never had a problem eating it because I was always starving and I didn't often get anything different at home so there was little point in going hungry and stoking up at supper. Only wish I could eat like that now and retain the stick insect figure! Have you seen what they eat in schools now?! Believe me, it's not good. I can remember in primary school we got meat and veg followed by pudding. Chips, what were they? But by the time I returned to the state sector for 6th form the only vegetable on the menu was chips and it hasn't change for the better since then. I took a good look at what was on the menus and tried to visit at lunchtime in the schools I looked at for my son and then found a school that serves a healthy, well balanced, organic, vegetarian menu. They still get pizza but with salad. They get chips but they're baked in the oven not deep fried. It's all made on the premises from fresh ingredients - no ready made junk at all. It can be done!

Return to “St James and St Vedast”