Inquiry

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
Stanton

Inquiry

Postby Stanton » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:21 pm

Now that the date for the Inquiry has been extended may I offer some relatively disinterested advice?
Given that the Inquiry is to be conducted by a (presumably) fair-minded, independent and experienced QC it is important for anyone giving evidence to marshall their thoughts, focus on the important issues and leave irrelevancies to one side. I would also suggest that those volunteering to relate their experiences start making notes now (with as much detail, dates, etc, as possible). Write down as much as you wish, it can be edited later if need be. Abandon exaggeration and distortion, however attractive it may seem, and concentrate on what you have perceived to be abuse, either to yourself or by acting as a witness to others.
Contact other former St Vedast and St James' pupils and encourage them to do the same.
Have no fear. Remind yourself that fear is a great inhibitor to action and a great barrier. Put it to one side.
Remember also that the stated aims of the Inquiry are Truth and Reconciliation. So speak the truth; that will take away fear.
And if you do not contribute to the Inquiry then you may have to ask yourself afterwards what prevented you taking up the best opportunity you may ever have to speak out on these matters?
As to Reconciliation - while it may seem very far-off I hope that it will happen. At some time we all have to forgive those who have injured us. That's a journey which is worth taking.
I hope that this has been helpful.

lowpass

Re: Inquiry

Postby lowpass » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:09 am

Stanton wrote:may I offer some relatively disinterested advice?

May I offer some relatively interested advice to St James to counter your disinterest? Make the terms, details, conditions, and final inquiry public not private. Have no fear of bringing everything out in the open, even if the truth will damage St James. Have courage! Speak the truth, it positively dissolves fear! Fear is a great barrier to action don't you know.

....and please get off your high horse, you are not addressing 6th formers or schoolchildren.

best lp

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:18 am

Is that first post SES-speak or what?

mike_w

Re: Inquiry

Postby mike_w » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:14 am

Stanton wrote: (presumably)

Now that's the key word here isn't it...PRESUMABLY!

PRESUMABLY, Stanton, you yourself would be happy to submit intimate details of what may have been your most unpleasant and personally humiliating life experiences to an unknown panel of people, still directly connected to those responsible for the aforesaid experiences? A group who haven't clearly defined what they are going to do with the information you supply.

Get real!

daska

Postby daska » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:24 pm

Stanton

In principle I agree but it goes against the grain. The main thing I learned from SES is that speaking the truth, when the person you're speaking to doesn't want to hear it or believes the truth to be different, was something to be feared. (And punishment sometimes involved a locked room so it wasn't exactly liberating either.)

There are also practical reasons why it may not be appropriate for everyone to join in. Many people rely on parents for help with young families, some still share a house - they may not feel able to take the financial risk of alienating their parents by participating in an inquiry.

And please could you clarify what you mean when you say "acting as witness to others misfortune". If you intend that we should act as witness at the request of another then that's fine but the implication appears to be that we should include descriptions of what other people went through as part of our own testimony which would not necessarily be appropriate if it were done without their knowlege and consent.

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams (or maybe even my nightmares).

Stanton

Postby Stanton » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:50 pm

Fair enough! Perhaps I should say that I've never been a pupil at St Vedast or St James, neither have I been a parent with children there, or a teacher at any of the schools. The only reason I submitted a post in the first place was because I thought it possible - from reading the posts - that former pupils might shy away from giving an account of their experiences at an inquiry. I have no agenda. So I would just like to say again - forget your fears! The QC - whoever he or she might be - is a professional, should protect your confidentiality (and you can ask for this if you're in any doubt) and will have experience of other inquiries. Their business is to establish the truth so far as possible. The point is that an inquiry has been called, you can either take part in it or not as you wish. There may not be another opportunity. If you don't take part, don't come forward - how are you going to face yourself in the future?

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:08 pm

I notice you choose to write anonymously.
You say you've never been a former pupil, or a parent, or a teacher.
Are you or have you ever been an SES member?... I also notice you say you have no agenda...

Shout

Postby Shout » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:05 pm

Last edited by Shout on Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daska

Postby daska » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:27 pm

Odd isn't it, I haven't been told either, even though I know the school has my current address on record.

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:45 pm

Still waiting for my official letter, too. Any other former pupils who haven't been contacted? Maybe this could be a new thread.

Shout

Postby Shout » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:56 pm

Return to “St James and St Vedast”