Inquiry update

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
CBetts

Inquiry update

Postby CBetts » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:30 pm

The Chairman has received a number of messages from people who say that they have only just heard of the Inquiry and would like to make submissions. The Chairman has received a large number of submissions, containing a great deal of information (both positive and negative) about the St Vedast and St James Schools from 1975 to the present day. He will actively be seeking further information on some issues that have been raised and will, of course need to hear from relevant current and former staff and governors. He has extended the deadlines for submissions several times and has always had discretion to accept late submissions. He does not wish to discourage anyone who wishes to make a late submission. However, he feels that he now has a good understanding of the matters under discussion. Unless late submissions raise an entirely new line of inquiry, therefore, they are likely to be filed as part of the background material to the Inquiry and the contributors will not be invited for interview. Again, the Chairman would like to thank all contributors.
Christine Betts
Clerk to the Inquiry

Daffy

Postby Daffy » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:22 pm

I recently received the following email from the Clerk to the Inquiry:

All contributors to the St Vedast and St James Inquiry

5 September 2005

Dear Contributor

St Vedast & St James Inquiry - message from the Chairman

This is to let you know that the timetable for the Inquiry has slipped to the extent that the Chairman is unlikely to start drafting his report before the beginning of October. Please be assured that you will be informed when the report is about to be published.

Yours sincerely

Christine Betts
Clerk to the Inquiry

parent

Inquiry Update

Postby parent » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:50 pm

Any news on the inquiry? or has it simply gone away?

Snowman

Re: Inquiry Update

Postby Snowman » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:01 am

parent wrote:Any news on the inquiry? or has it simply gone away?

Hi parent,

No the inquiry has not gone away. It is still underway and we can expect notification soon. What information is made public is another question but certainly those who participated will be notified of its conclusion.

ross nolan

any update on the update?

Postby ross nolan » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:26 am

Dear All, it seems that a deafening silence has settled on the inquiry, is it possible to get any preliminary report or an idea of when and where some definitive result will be availble?

The results of the inquiry will impact on the activities of the school here in Australia and are being awaited with considerable anticipation.

Ross. N
Skeptic

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:05 am

Hi Ross, apparently the report is due out in December.

chrisdevere

Hmmm December and still no news!

Postby chrisdevere » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:54 am

Would have thought we would have heard something by now even if just an update as to date of release!!!!
Christopher de Vere
chrisdevere@hotmail.com

ET

Postby ET » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:55 am

Yes, me too! Not very impressed at the moment I have to say....

ross nolan

bad vibes

Postby ross nolan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:00 pm

Delaying the release of a report until the 'silly season' upcoming to Christmas is generally a bad sign in Australia at least (here christmas holidays of about four weeks are about to begin and the government uses the opportunity to slip bad legislation,damning reports, etc out whilst attention is focussed elsewhere ) -- it may be different in the Northern hemisphere because your summer holdays are 6 months away.......

Ross,
Skeptic

chrisdevere

inquiry update

Postby chrisdevere » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:40 pm

Just got a mail saying the report will be published on the 14th Jan 06, delayed due to extra evidence etc.

I hope its not me being paranoid but it seems that when terms were finally announced we had a bout a week to think about stuff that happened 20 years ago and then juggle diarys to make the enquiry. By comparison it seems some other parties might have been given a great deal longer to research their statments gather evidence etc.

It will be interesting to see if ex student statments are refered to as vague ewhilst St V teachers and SES are specific and detailed. Personally i think I was able to be quite specific for someoen who had approx. half a day to think about whether I could attend and then think about what I would say!
Christopher de Vere
chrisdevere@hotmail.com

Alban

Postby Alban » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:27 pm

I would hazard a guess (and it is just that) the lawyers representing various teachers will be delaying procedings while they argue what incriminating evidence shouldn't go into the public report.

We'll just have to see how much censorship they are able to achieve.

non-conformist

censorship

Postby non-conformist » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:00 pm

Surely they can't ignore what has already been posted on the website. They can't censor it, but will it count for anything? Excuse my ignorance.

Matthew

Re: censorship

Postby Matthew » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:39 pm

non-conformist wrote:Surely they can't ignore what has already been posted on the website. They can't censor it, but will it count for anything? Excuse my ignorance.

Hi non-conformist,

If I understand your question correctly, I think Alban is referring to the possible censorship of the public report, not what is posted on this forum.

SES philosophy to negative publicity, dating back to the MacLaren days, has always been "ignore it for long enough and eventually it will just go away". However, they never counted on the mass-proliferation and all pervading influence of the WWW . Books, magazines, and newspaper articles eventually become worn, lost, forgotten, or go out of print. The Internet is of course a very different kettle of fish. Its just permanently up there, warts and all, in all it's glory for the whole world and his dog to see and digest. SES have never been comfortable with technological progress because it flies in the face of their archaic world-view. Well now it seems, the very thing they fear has come back to bite them where the sun don't shine. I guess there's a moral in there somewhere...

They have attempted to censor this site, and even to get it shut down, but of course failed. This site and others are, and will be, a permanent thorn in the SES' side, and that fact alone is a great source of satisfaction for many.

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:43 am

They have attempted to censor this site, and even to get it shut down,

have they? When and how? (pls excuse curiosity)

SES philosophy to negative publicity, dating back to the MacLaren days, has always been "ignore it for long enough and eventually it will just go away".

Makes me wonder of John Howard is an SES member...

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:52 pm

a different guest wrote:
They have attempted to censor this site, and even to get it shut down,

have they? When and how? (pls excuse curiosity)

ADG, for the time being, all I can say is that pressure was put on myself and others to 'reduce the noise level' on here. Quite how it was thought that I could have any such influence is completely beyond me.

Return to “St James and St Vedast”