Inquiry experiences

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
a different guest

Inquiry experiences

Postby a different guest » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:38 am

can anyone share their experiences of the inquiry? Did anyone here meet the QC? Or are you not allowed to talk about it and that's why the board is so quiet?

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:42 am

well so far 16 views and not one response.

Snowman

Postby Snowman » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:21 pm

Hi ADG,

Yes lots of people here attended the inquiry, myself included. I think that there is a predictable lull in discussion as for many people it has been a great deal of hard work emotionally.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating and we wait with quiet anticipation for the findings of the inquiry which should be completed within the next 2 months or so. Do you remember the 5 day long inquiry proposed by the school?

Whatever the outcome, I am glad that I participated and feel that simply someone listening to what I had to say, without judging me, was more important to me than I had ever imagined.

I am sure we will hear more in the weeks and months to come, but I do not feel that I should divulge details of my meeting with the inquiry chairman. There may be a time for that in the future but until that time I am keeping quiet.

All the best

(can I have a TimTam please?)

emmalu9

my enquiry experience

Postby emmalu9 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:24 pm

I was basically shitting it all day and when I got there I felt about 5 years old, outside caldwell's office or something. It was incredibly stressful, made easier by the fact that Townend was welcoming and grandfatherly, and asked a lot of questions as well as letting me talk. This was particularly good for me because I tend to clam up if emotional or scared. He was sympathetic but to the point, and obviously had leads that he wanted to follow, probing about certain teachers, maiden names etc.

Felt completely drained afterwards, but luckily was able to meet up with sympathetic parents right away. I'm very glad I went, it has enabled me to meet with my old class, some of whom are still in SES, but it was good to see them anyway.

Free Thinker

Postby Free Thinker » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:04 pm

A case of TimTams for both of you!

emmalu9

Postby emmalu9 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:40 pm

whats a timtam?

Daffy

Postby Daffy » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:50 pm

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:01 am

thanks for posting emmalu and snowman - yes tim tams all round. A tim tam always makes me feel better - and if I want to go one further and feel VERY fun and silly I'll do a "tim tam suck" - always good for a giggle. :)

if you go here http://www.arnotts.com/Biscuits/OurBiscuitsP.asp?BID=79 and under the drop box labelled "select a variety" you will see an option for "tim tam suck" and a new window will open explaining all. I DO advise you to arrow down and read the warning at the end.

emmalu9

tim tam suck

Postby emmalu9 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:16 am

Thanks ADG! that's the best laugh I've had all day!Now I want a timtam a lot. Maybe one could purchase them from the Aussie shop in covent garden. Might have to go today.

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:01 am

In the end, I couldn't face making an oral submission to the inquiry. I suffer from social phobia and tend to become rather inarticulate and panicky in situations like this. I feared that I wouldn't be able to give as good an account of myself as I would have liked.

However, I did make two written submissions: an inventory of the abuse I personally experienced and witnessed at St Vedast, and, on request, an account of a meeting with Debenham and Boddy which I attended last year with two other former pupils. I'm proud of this and I think everybody who submitted to the inquiry or has told the truth about the SES and its schools on this forum or elsewhere should also feel proud. Tim Tams all round, I reckon!

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:40 pm

well I would like to order some special edition "chewy chocolate fudge" tim tams for Tom. There might be some delay as these especial favourites are currently not available in the shops here - guess that is why they call them "special edition". I am having to make do with "double choc" - a close second but ...

The Australia Shop in Covent Garden SHOULD have tim tams - if they don't they have NO right ot call themselves an "Australia" shop.

emmalu9

Postby emmalu9 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:10 pm

I know what you mean Tom - I must confess that I didn't really mean to make an appointment - I kind of rang up hoping to be told that I was too late or there were no appointments left, but as soon as Betts' secretary got on the phone and ascertained why I was ringing she said ''How would 3.30 on wednesday be?''. I just cringed and said ...um ...yeah ok then. So I can't claim bold-faced courage - more like just not too great at saying no!

emmalu9

timtams london

Postby emmalu9 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:28 pm

I am pleased to confirm that timtams are indeed available from the Australia shop in covent garden - on Maiden Lane opposite the Porterhouse.

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:05 pm

did you buy some emmalu? How do you think they compare with Penguins?

emmalu9

timtams -v- penguins

Postby emmalu9 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:07 pm

Hmm yes the penguin resemblance was obvious but the variety of sugary stylings and flavours, not to mention the fact that they are about half as big again was really quite exciting. Alas for the penguin that there is no such exciting concept as the timtam suck, but then 'penguin suck' actually sounds a bit gross. For me timtams are winning - especially in the comfort food arena.

In case anyone's interested I also heard recently that Sheila Caldwell was seen turning up to the inquiry flanked by two burly lawyers, looking not too well. I'd feel sorry for her...but I don't.

Return to “St James and St Vedast”