Children Are Unbeatable!

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
Tom Grubb

Children Are Unbeatable!

Postby Tom Grubb » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:19 am

UK readers of this forum may like to contact their MP and urge them to support Early Day Motion 729: 'Children & Human Rights'.

Despite pressure from the Council of Europe and United Nations, UK children still do not enjoy the same legal protection from assault that adults take for granted.

For more information, you can visit the Children Are Unbeatable! Alliance website: http://www.childrenareunbeatable.org.uk/

Tom

Free Thinker

Postby Free Thinker » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:26 pm

If only the US would take such a stance. Alas, I don't think it will EVER happen here...

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:45 pm

I wrote to my MP (Theresa Villiers, Con) and she sent me a very nice and quite long reply!

She's had a lot of involvement with child welfare issues and has worked with the NSPCC and other children's organisations. She's generally sympathetic towards the EDM but won't sign it because she thinks it goes too far: "I do not agree that this EDM strikes the right balance between parental autonomy and children's rights".

I don't agree with her - I think the government SHOULD interfere in this aspect of family life! - but I respect her argument and I'm impressed that she bothered to reply so fully.

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:06 pm

Sorry to bang on about this topic but it's something I believe in quite passionately.

I'd just like to say that the House of Commons Early Day Motion 729 ('Children & Human Rights') now has the support of 126+ MPs. This level of support is unprecedented - 50 more than have ever supported similar motions in the past.

If you agree that children should share the same right to protection from assault that adults enjoy, please find out if your MP has signed the motion. If he/she has not, please urge him/her to do so.

Tom

Return to “St James and St Vedast”