Independent Schools Inspectorate

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
mgormez

Independent Schools Inspectorate

Postby mgormez » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:41 am

I am not sure if this has been posted before. The inspection reports on the St. James schools:

http://www.isinspect.org.uk/reports/s.htm
Mike Gormez

sparks

St James Boys

Postby sparks » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:27 am

St James Senior Boys School - 2004 INDEPENDENT SCHOOLS INSPECTORATE Report

In light of the inquiry readers may be interested to note some of the areas where St James was found to need improvement or to be failing to meet requirements - the full report is at http://www.isinspect.org.uk/reports/2004/1096_04.htm. The inspection was carried out in February 2004 - just before Debenhams retirement.

The following shortcomings require attention.
? The curriculum is unbalanced: in particular, it lacks a technological dimension.

? Aspects of the overall management of the school are unsystematic and departmental management varies unacceptably.

? Library facilities and the provision of information and communication technology (ICT) and audio-visual resources are unsatisfactory.

AND

Actions Required for Compliance with the Regulatory Requirements
1.22 In order to meet all the requirements, the school must:

(1) provide pupils with experience of technological education (Reg 1.2a);

(2) improve the provision of careers guidance (see para 6.12) (Reg 1.2g);

(3) demonstrate that a framework is in place to assess pupils? work regularly and thoroughly, and use information from that assessment to plan teaching so that pupils can progress (Reg 1.3g);

(4) provide an education which enables all pupils within a class to make progress, including pupils with statements and those for whom English is an additional language (Reg 1.5);

(5) ensure that all staff have adequate training in child protection (Reg 3.2.b);

(6) not allow staff unsupervised access to pupils until the appropriate checks are confirmed (Reg 4.b);

(7) ensure the medical fitness of new staff and check their qualifications where appropriate (Reg 4.c);

(8) provide for parents of pupils and prospective pupils information about the educational provision made for pupils with English as an additional language (Reg 6.2f).

AND

MAIN RECOMMENDATIONS

The main recommendations are listed below.

R1 The school should review the curriculum to ensure that:

? all pupils experience some technological education;

? pupils are taught to use ICT in the subjects of the curriculum;

? the contribution of geography to pupils? education is given due weight.

R2 The school should develop better systems for evaluating its own success, in order to:

? improve the work of departments, particularly the quality of departmental management and of the teaching;

? monitor pupils? attainment and progress more effectively in order to raise standards;

R3 In terms of resources for learning, the school should:

? improve its library facilities;

? ensure that all pupils have access to computers and that these are used in subjects;

? improve the provision and use of audio-visual means to assist learning.

ET

Postby ET » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:18 am

So much for those glowing reports they keep going on about!

I have to say that this, for me, rather adds power to my fear that the schools haven't changed all that much since I was there.

For example, when we moved schools just as I was about to do my GCSEs I very much would have liked to choose Geog over Science, but the Geog teaching I had received at StJ was so bad that I couldn't possibly take it. And the lack of technology was even evident in the late 80s.

The question is, are the schools listening to these reports or just doing what they normally do and praising the good bits whilst ignoring the bad?

Planet

Re: St James Boys

Postby Planet » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:28 pm

-Removed by me-
Last edited by Planet on Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keir

Postby Keir » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:20 pm

The point is Planet that those parents THOUGHT they knew who they were trusting their children with on those weekends/weeks away, and any concern that might have been raised (particularly if it was raised by a concerned mother) would be summararily dismissed with some scoffing at her 'wobbly chitta' and other patronising bollocks. This was deception. Granted that it cannot be malicious if there is self-delusion going on at the same time. They GENUINELY believed that they were doing the concerned parent a favour!!!!!!

Yes the world has changed, and the mantra of SES philosophy is live in the present! But their behaviour is stuck in the past. Occasionally dragged on a superficial level in to the 20th century (I notice they have shiny new IT equipment now), but without a recognition of the desirability for transparency and openness, the school will constantly find itself running into a much more media savvy and emotionally aware public who wont swallow that bullshit that they got away with then.

One of the things that has ensured this is this BB. Another is the courage of those who first posted their traumatic personal experiences. This often gave courage to others to speak out and brought about some moving apologies from former teachers and some genuine reconcilliation.

So, do you want to tell them about it so that they can make an informed decision, or do you just want to intellectualise about the ills of this society in general? What is your experience? What did/do you feel? Hopefully something more engaging than your last post's seeming indifference at it - even if I disagree with it I would welcome the addition.

Planet

Postby Planet » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:38 pm

Keir in a way I sort of see what you say are saying. I did post on here before the inquiry along with many others and that I found a great relief. 20 + years is a long time to park things away. I am coming to the conclusion that I will not now achieve anything that would really help me by doing so again.

Keir

Postby Keir » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:09 am

Hi Planet,

I apologise if I came over a bit strong in my last post. Re-reading it it seems unneccesarily confrontational.

If you feel that you can get nothing more from this BB then fair enough.

I wish you well

K

Return to “St James and St Vedast”