Cloakroom 'Supervision' at St James.

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.

Were you ever watched by a teacher whilst showering?

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 22

daska

Postby daska » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:31 pm

Sam Hyde wrote:what are you on about?????

As far back as I can remember was in place of an accurate date so you pathetically pedantic people dont look for the building records and accuse me of trying to cover up 'SES' FUNDED' cover up of abuse in showers! or something equally rediculous!
FFS
It never happened and they were demolished a very long time ago, Hell I even showered in them!

(unless I've totally missed your point XstJ....please enlighten me)

Sam xox

Sam, even ex-pupils get confused about which school was in which building during the years they were at school, let alone since. What chance someone on another continent is going to have detailed knowlege?

How many buildings have there been now? Chepstow, 3 in Queensgate, Sarum Chase, Eccleston Sq, Pope's Villas and Olympia? That's 8 buildings unless I've missed any. And I've not counted the various sunday schools. And just for the record the SES still hold classes in the Day School buildings.

So, for ADG and others who don't have the benefit of up to date info on the specifics:
Senior Boys are in Pope's Villas
Senior Girls, Junior Girls and Junior Boys are at Earsby Street in Olympia

(I can't help feel that there's a bit of gender stereotyping going on in the set up, how comes the girls stay with the young kids and the boys get the fab location? Again! They got Sarum Chase as well with the gorgeous garden. I guess it's back to the laws of Manu, I'll put an update on when I've worked out which verse is responsible.)

Alban

Postby Alban » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:45 pm

We may have had Sarum Chase with the nice garden (that we weren't allowed in), but it was a bloody pain for those of us who lived in Saaf London (I know someone else who'll atest to that Daska, although he lived closer, in a posher part than me). So it was a case of two busses (which had the habit of breaking down and getting us a caning, or bicycles...which had the habit of getting punctures...and getting us a caning!

In fact I remember one day leaving extra early (I had close to the critical number of black marks and didn't want to be late), getting a puncture while halfway up (unbelievably steep) Fitzjohns Avenue. I ripped off the tyre and mended the puncture in double quick time, got back on my bike and just got to circuit training in time (at 07:50am). The injustice was, when I turned up, I was given several black marks for turning up in a mess (i.e. bike oil on my hands, and dirt on my trousers where I'd been sitting at the side of the road mending the puncture). Of course these black marks ensured I got sent to the headmaster for a beating (as he liked to call it). And before anyone asks, protesting just mean't you got more strokes!

It used to piss me off that I had to get up at 6am and leave shortly after, risking life and limb doing a 10 mile cycle across London, only to be put through a rigourous circuit training when I got there (as if the cycle wasn't enough exercise!). The other thing about Sarum Chase was that the showers were never sufficient for a school so most times they were cold - good for the circulation, bad for the moral!

Oh, and that definately happened after the incident that I recognise as me in ND's caning register - but funnily enough, it doesn't appear in the book.

Does anyone remember Hugo the extremely bad-tempered black dog that roamed the back corridors? The bugger bit me once (I still have the scar) and I had to be taken to the hospital for a jab in my bum (which for an adolecent is far worse than the bite itself).

So you can see why Sarum Chase didn't have quite the same memories for me as it did for the casual visitor. [It was also the place I had a one-to-one with Leon McLaren - but that's another post]

Alban

nilsabm

Postby nilsabm » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:01 am

Wot me Posh LOL...

Ah... Hugo,

The 'vegetarian' dog, who supplemented his diet of cheese with the odd bit of schoolboy flesh. Yes remember the evil thing very well. It always had a rather demonic 'I'm gonna eat you' look in its eye....

South London to Hampstead was a grind, especially getting up at 6 etc....

Happy days, not!

My solution, eventually, was to stop bothering. Got punished for being there, got punished for not being there, made little difference I figured - except they couldn't punish you when you weren't there! Drove my parents nuts...

nilsabm

Postby nilsabm » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:09 am

Oh yes, the shower thing.

J. Matthews stood on a chair, peering over the top of the shower wall, reminding you which bits you hadn't washed.... hmmmm.... We all thought he enjoyed it a bit too much, big grin on his face etc. But can only speculate on his motives...

daska

Postby daska » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:35 am

well, I'm a posh bint who was born in nawf lunnon...

yes I remember Hugo, never have been good with dogs, even geriatric ones who wouldn't stand a chance of catching me if I stuck my fist in their mouths, I'm sure he contributed to my life long fear... the hound of the daskavilles?

What about the little yappy thing that couldn't walk on the polished floors?

I take your point about not being allowed in the gardens. It must have been a rare treat to be allowed to dress up and go outside. But you had a sight of greenery and from what I hear the teachers weren't too reliable at turning up either. 33 wasn't so bad, even though we couldn't run about in the garden, but incarcerating kids in 90-92 with no outdoor space to play in at all was just plain mean - and I haven't forgotten that you got a stint there before you went up to Sarum. What would you have felt if they'd gone ahead with the plan to make it a boarding school at Waterperry?

james

Postby james » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:15 am

I was in boarding at twickenham.
The 6th form boarding were some of the best years of my life. (Any teachers stop reading now please!) Every thursday we used to get totaly wasted on the schools wine supply, well because who needs to go to school on a friday?! We used to sit in the garden by the river untill stupid O'clock in the morning and generaly have an awsome time.

In bording your mates are always there and always up for a good time, those guys became like brothers.

Boarding at waterperry, with those gardens and that amount of land, f**k yeh!

Anyway this is a post about being watched in the showers, not boarding, maybe we could start a boarding post, but ill stop now.

xstJ

watching children shower

Postby xstJ » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:33 pm

See link below:

I came accross this report today, a London teacher is being accused of watching a boy shower (among other things)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4802128.stm

Gerasene Demon

Re: Cloakroom 'Supervision' at St James.

Postby Gerasene Demon » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:04 am

Last edited by Gerasene Demon on Thu May 30, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gerasene Demon

Postby Gerasene Demon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:35 am

carolynscott

Postby carolynscott » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:07 pm

The first I heard of this abuse was when I began searching the web for a blog page. We in wgtn sop in the 80s knew nothing of this.I think now that the aspect of having to be do awake all the time was also abuse.they mind needs o restaurant.

Return to “St James and St Vedast”