Is this the start of some damage control starting up?

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
a different guest

Is this the start of some damage control starting up?

Postby a different guest » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:11 am

Call me suspicious, but a new poster has appeared on the board, and his posts, while slightly damning of the school and the SES, the overall tone is mollyfying.

Consider...

In the thread about contacting the media

Writing on a BBS is one thing. Going on TV is another. Would you really feel better if you did. I mean you can't have your childhood back even if you wanted it.

And in the thread where a parent has posted

I believe most parents of the schools thought they were doing the best for their kids and many wouldn't want to upset them today by telling them otherwise.

and of course remember that
There are for sure some kids that went through relatively unaffected by their education

Finally, let's just remind those who took part in the inquiry that now the school has something on them

it did occur to me that the schools now have a nice set of tape recorded and transcribed documents. In the case of any legal challenge they could of course select some desirable ones from the full unpublished report.

carrots and sticks?

Planet

Postby Planet » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:39 am

I'm just pointing out the obvious which I think any person would / could have mentioned before. Anyone with some common sense would see that there are two sides to every coin and should have realised that before they rushed off to this lovely inquiry which as far as I can see was just a fact finding mission and also adds lots of protection to any legal challenge.

I mean did you in your wildest dreams think the governors would resign etc. etc. etc.

Some of us didn't you know rush off to this lovely Inquiryand we may be in the minority but this doesn't mean we don't have feelings as well which you have just somewhat hurt by your unfounded suggestions.

If your backside was wacked with a flexible cane among other events would you want the facts splashed all over channel four.

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion and also to voice their opinion. I mean thats what BBS's are for.

Anyway curiosity killed the cat and this cats been here before.

Free Thinker

Postby Free Thinker » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:19 am

ADG - I agree. I feel a bit like one of the Billy Goats Gruff...:)

Planet

Postby Planet » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:41 am

Free Thinker wrote:ADG - I agree. I feel a bit like one of the Billy Goats Gruff...:)

More like one of the "Inquiry sheep" hearded into the "Inquiry pen" I'd say for a quick "sheep dip and tagging."

For me I haven't talked about school life for at least 20 years +. As a good friend said to me if you can't talk about it after 20 years you probably need a an xxxxxxologist of sorts and not him and most definitely not a "QC"

ET

Postby ET » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:08 am

Planet,

Referring to those of us who had the courage to take part in the inquiry as "sheep" is deeply insulting and unnecessary.
You are completely within your rights not to take part in this process, and you may well feel that you personally don't want the experiences you had at school splashed across the media, but no-one is forcing you to take part in anything.
I see your point about the inquiry possibly providing amunition for the SES should any legal action take place, but as you say, it's important to see both sides. The inquiry (and this BB that led to it) have been enormously important and cathartic for many of us. For me personally, it's been incredibly helpful to realise that I wasn't the only one who went through hell all those years ago.

I will be taking part in whatever Channel 4 decide to do, but anonymously. This way, my experiences can be made public without my having to deal with any personal consequences. I think it is extremely important that the voices of the SES and the governors are not the only ones heard by the public. I agree that this will probably not result in any real change in the schools themselves and their governance, but if it stops just one parent from sending their child(ren) to the schools, then I feel it is worth it.

Planet

Postby Planet » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:40 am

I'm pleased for you that youv'e got that far and am sorry that your offended by the analagy with "sheep". I always thought they were very forgiving and intelligent creatures.
However some of us are not going to reach that "cathartic state" at the moment and one was hoping that this horrible mess wouldn't be poping up all over the place to remind us in newspapers and such like. Least of all on the television set in possible future months.

I'm going to crawl back in my cat basket for a while. As you know curiosity did kill the cat. But most cats have nine lives. :fadein:

Alban

Postby Alban » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:44 pm

Planet,

Everyone has their own hopes and fears and I share your skepticism about the governors resigning. There is obviously a wide variance in what would make people happy on this board, so I think it would help people understand you a little more is if you expanded on what would allow you to come to terms with those years of torment...

would you like to see the governors (and possibly certain teachers) resign, regardless of whether you think they will, or are you happy with the status quo. If not, what action (if any) would you like to see.

As this campaign becomes more public, the feelings of paranoia come back to haunt us all (yourself probably included). We were all left a bit fucked-up by the experience, so don't take it too hard if you get the odd probing question - essentially, this board is for everybody who has suffered at the hands of the SES, and I for one am interested in your views regardless of whether I agree 100% with all of them.

Alban

ross nolan

Whose shame?

Postby ross nolan » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:15 am

Re Planet -- this follows a PM to Planet that was meant as a posting .

Surely the point is the "revealing" that you had been whacked with a cane on your bottom and felt humiliated is not that YOU should feel any shame but that the perpetrator should stand accused in public and be the one to be shamed .

Taken to it's logical conclusion your inference is that every rape victim should keep quiet to hide HER disgrace .. this is a perversion of the correct apportioning of blame and guilt.

Certainly you need feel no guilt at being abused but it may also be that it is not just the fault of the teacher involved -- it could be that a further level of responsibility is involved ; namely that the organization (school/SES) itself condoned and in fact stipulated this sort of sadistic punishment by it's employees (and members)

I am going to post some of the background to this perhaps seemingly ridiculous statement (especially in view of Townend) in a new thread "Origins of the SES schools abuse?"

As with other "franchised" organizations like McDonald's with their "diploma of burger making" and detailed instructions on every step in making a Big Mac you can be sure that the SES has a standard manual of protocols for it's schools and franchised "ST James clones" elsewhere in the world -- the discipline procedures and curriculum,the 'philosophy' of education that they seek to impart and so on would be specified and not left to chance or word of mouth.

I am not aware that any of thses sort of documents have been subpeoned in the Townsend report or referred to but they clearly should have been (and still should be ).

Let's find out where the real blame lies , but Planet can be assurred that it is not with the victims and no reasonable person would think it did .

Ross.
Skeptic

Return to “St James and St Vedast”