St James Headteacher's son demands resignation of Governors

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
sparks

St James Headteacher's son demands resignation of Governors

Postby sparks » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:59 pm

Sam Hyde wrote:
I fully accept the findings of the Inquiry and support the demand for the resignation of those responsible for maintaining a safe staff at the time.

Fantastic to have your support Sam. Have you signed the open letter yet? Alternatively you could write to the schools directly.

Alban

Postby Alban » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:07 am

Lol - I think he may have a more direct line to "The Management"

Stanton

Postby Stanton » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:44 am

Sam - the reasons you and your fellow pupils could use for the resignation of the governors are as follows:

1. As governors their job was to govern and, as the Townend report clearly showed, they did not fulfil their responsibilities, especially in the critical period from 1975-85. This is the first and foremost reason. I feel sure they did not know of the abuse in St James but that is no excuse.

2. The second reason is the same as the first.

3. Ditto.

The governors have each a personal responsibility and there can be no wiping of the slate until he or she admits as much and does so publicly. It is to the credit of the governors that they took decisive action when they did, and subsequently apologised. But this is not enough in itself. Those who were governors between 1975 and 1985 must surely ask themselves - why am I still here? Isn't a sacrifice needed? Am I so keen to cling to my post?

I can well understand that those who have served St James as governors for many years may well believe they are being treated harshly and unfairly. That is not the point.

It's really a question of what is most important - the future of St James or their own view of themselves.

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:35 pm

.I don't know if Sam is the son of the headteacher but I must say it doesn't feel right to play it personally. I don't care about the SES sadists but this is just a kid.
Mike Gormez

Zathura

Postby Zathura » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:50 pm

Out of interest. How many governors from before 95 are still on the board?

Sam Hyde

Postby Sam Hyde » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:25 pm

Thankyou for the support Mgormez, Zathura, I believe the answer is 1 and the rest are honoury.

Sam xox
thats old now, like me, only 4 weeks to go!!!!!
"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education"

whitedevil

Postby whitedevil » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:35 pm

All,

Why should it make any difference? so he's a Hyde who cares. Iv'e noticed you lot put a lot of emphasis on who he is rather than what he's saying. your last names could all be.....i don't know....Boddy? and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to us. We (me included) have the luxury of knowing who sam is. A luxury he doesn't recieve in return. Don't abuse him for having the courage to be himself (something i'm still cautious about). look at what you're doing! Is it constructive?
freedom wears your scars of desire

Sam Hyde

Postby Sam Hyde » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:28 pm

:angel: :fist: lol

ses-surviver

Postby ses-surviver » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:19 pm

Sam Hyde wrote::angel: :fist: lol

and yet another constructive post from young Mr Hyde - 6th form debates must be highly entertaining if the current level of posting is anything to go by.

The current pupils really don't seem to 'get' the point (consistently made throughout the board) that it was the Governors job to govern and ... as has been proved by the evidence recounted in the report, it was a task at which they failed.

I am led to understand that one of the aims of St James was to produce great leaders (something that some of you recently attended some event about ... can't find the link just now), so I don't believe that I can be alone in finding that the example provided by these Governors is one that really matches with the high standards that the school espouses. Whatever happened to 'Falling on your sword'? I'm not sure that if a similar situation were to arise and the heads of a public body or company on the stock exchange were found guilty of over-looking the mis-behaviour of staff under their control, that they would be able to resist, in the same way, calls for their resignation by the press or stockholders. Clearly the Governors see themselves as accountable only to the head of the SES.

Sam Hyde

Postby Sam Hyde » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:28 pm

Hi, actually the debates at school are really interesting; we debate such heinous topics as
1) Abolishing the monarchy
2) Fox hunting
3) Evolution vs. Intelligent design (I won the evolution argument! YAY!)
4)'This house believes that Sanskrit is of no use in today?s society' Staff v Pupils, very funny!
5) The would be controversial list goes on of 'unspeakable' topics that we freely discuss in our Cult 'S.E.S cocoon' environment.

Oh and the music played at the end of term musical competitions ranges from Mozart....blah blah blah, to 4 piece bands, guitar solos, drum solos and acoustic sets/duos, of which I won a prize. See the change?
(off to eat bbk l8r)
Sam xox

james

Postby james » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:33 pm

Sam, mate your emoticons post was a bit over the top! Remember we are trying to portray the school in a good light. lol
:angel:

Return to “St James and St Vedast”