RUTH KELLY CONFIRMS POLICE INVESTIGATING ST. JAMES

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
NYC

Postby NYC » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:36 pm

Surely authority has to be invested in a teacher by the student, and then reaffirmed every moment by the wisdom of the teachers ability to convince and answer well.
I just wanted to add that the teacher should also be capable of saying ?I don?t know? from time to time. I have never once heard a ?tutor? here say that. It?s almost as if they?ve been told or trained not to.

chittani

Postby chittani » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:49 am

NYC,

It's totally against the spirit of philosophy, but sadly that is all too common. It is pretentious and it prevents philosophy. If you cannot be honest about your own mind, how can you expect others to be honest about theirs? How can you seek wisdom if you are already claiming to have found it?

Confucius had it right: 'Wisdom is to say "I know" when you know, and "I do not know" when you do not know'.

Free Thinker,

I also recognise what you're saying. Your point about superficiality is all too true.

There is a comment from Shantananda that I think ought to be listened to by the School. He says that some people are like oranges and some are like melons. Oranges look whole on the outside, but when you open them up they are divided. Melons are different. Some melons look like they have segments and some look like they dont, but when you open them up they are all undivided.

What he is saying is that we should be 'melons', and not worry about how we or others appear, but how we are on the inside.

Whatever about the School, may I say how good it is to find kindred spirits such as you? That's rare enough in any circumstance.

Free Thinker

Postby Free Thinker » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:50 am

Thanks, Chittani,

I'm proud to be a melon!

Return to “St James and St Vedast”