Ruth Kelly - Parliamentary Question

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
ET

Postby ET » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:56 am

bonsai wrote:
Personally I have no problem about Ruth Kelly being a member of Opus Dei and also holding a position of power and influence. She is open about this membership and there will always be those who believe that such affiliations affect her professional judgements. This is why we have the checks and balances in the parliamentary process.

Personally I would only have a problem if a person in such a position was secretive about such affiliations or if there was no process for questioning or reviewing the persons proffesional conduct. This is why I believe that St James requires a PTA where the decisions of the governors and the school's executive may be scrutinised and the influences understood and the criticisms aired, listened to and if necessary acted upon.

The SES also needs some form of mechanism to provide checks and balances (I'm not sure what form it should take) to ensure that the executive authority is kept in check and power is not allowed to corrupt.

Absolutely Bonsai, that's exactly how I feel too.
Pupil at St James Girl's School from 1979-1989, from age 4-14. Parents ex-members of SES.

Keir

Re: Ruth Kelly - Parliamentary Question

Postby Keir » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:40 am

CBetts wrote:David Boddy, Headmaster of St James Senior Boys School has asked me to post the following message:

...... We would also remind all concerned that the Townend Inquiry was established voluntarily by the governors.

We also take this opportunity of inviting anyone who wishes to take part in the reconciliation process, or who has any questions relating to the Schools or the Inquiry, to contact us in the normal way at St James Senior School for Boys on communications@stjamesboys.co.uk.

David Boddy Headmaster St James Senior School for Boys"

Have I missed something? Anyone would think that they deserve a badge for setting up an inquiry into abuse after having waited 20 odd years and until people had felt able to post their experiences on a bulletin board which was worrying potential and current parents. This despite those same posters attempting to get resolution before posting their experiences. I don't think that it really equates to the same thing to say that it was voluntary.

As for the reconcilliation process... that old chestnut. Does David Boddy not think it important to offer a meaningful apology after what the governors 'voluntary' inquiry threw up? How about it Dave?...to kickstart a meaningful process that is..as opposed to the PR guff that it would seem you are content to peddle. Come off it, who do you think we are?

Not impressed.

Return to “St James and St Vedast”