A personal view from a parent.

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
CeliaR

Postby CeliaR » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:22 am

Deleted
Last edited by CeliaR on Thu May 18, 2006 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

bella

Postby bella » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:38 am

Hi Celia,

I removed it after your comment, since I thought it was insensitive to people who felt like they didn't have a choice, for whatever reason.

Goblinboy

Postby Goblinboy » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:08 am

bella wrote:... as a reaction to the unreasonable oppression of Mavro.

So what level of oppression is reasonable? :p

bella

Postby bella » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:27 am

*smacks GB*

That was reasonable. ;)

CeliaR

Postby CeliaR » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:39 am

Deleted
Last edited by CeliaR on Thu May 18, 2006 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:29 am

elizabeth edmunds wrote: Questions one by one I can have go at answering. .

Tell me more about "art of hospitality". What is studied? How is it marked? Why is it mandatory for girls but not boys? Could it encompass extreme ironing?

Janice

Postby Janice » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:51 am

Hi

As a long time member of SES and mother of five children who were in and out of the day schools may I say Hello.

I have been a member of this board for about a month and have been reading both past and current posts.

My emotions have been mixed and varied I am grateful to those of you who have a lively sense of humour for there have also been moments when I have laughed out loud.

Over the past twenty years my husband has employed a number of ex St.James and St.Vedast boys who have told of their time at the day schools.Some where painful memories others very painful.

Ben in your second post to Elizabeth you asked her How do we truly achieve reconciliation? Can this question have a thread of its own.We are all on a learning curve with this one.

I will be away in from my computer until next Thursday.Will post again.

Janice Munro

Free Thinker

Postby Free Thinker » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:06 pm

ADG - LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

elizabeth edmunds

Postby elizabeth edmunds » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:50 am

Hospitality means to open your door to strangers, and it is two way. I have come as a guest to the web site and have read and understood why it came into being, and what it has offered to those who had felt without a voice before. I hope that the process of reconciliation which seems so rough at the moment will continue, there is a fund of good will on the part of the philosophy school. Kindness and courage will get you all to the place you want to be, and that goes for both sides.

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:16 am

Hospitality means to open your door to strangers,

So an entire mandatory subject for girls is rendered down to one sentence???

Further info please Elizabeth.

Also, why is it also not compulsory for boys?

ET

Postby ET » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:31 am

elizabeth edmunds wrote:Kindness and courage will get you all to the place you want to be, and that goes for both sides.

Yes, it does. So why have the governors shown neither of these attributes yet by having the kindness to issue personal and sincere apologies; and the courage to accept their (albeit unwitting) collusion in our abuse by showing some accountability and resigning themselves and also sacking those current teachers found to have criminally abused children?

I have no desire to attack you personally, Elizabeth, but honestly all these sugary "soundbites" are just so many empty words until something is actually done.
Pupil at St James Girl's School from 1979-1989, from age 4-14. Parents ex-members of SES.

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:08 pm

ET wrote:
elizabeth edmunds wrote:Kindness and courage will get you all to the place you want to be, and that goes for both sides.

Yes, it does. So why have the governors shown neither of these attributes yet by having the kindness to issue personal and sincere apologies; and the courage to accept their (albeit unwitting) collusion in our abuse by showing some accountability and resigning themselves and also sacking those current teachers found to have criminally abused children?

I have no desire to attack you personally, Elizabeth, but honestly all these sugary "soundbites" are just so many empty words until something is actually done.

Precisely.

daska

Re: A personal view from a parent.

Postby daska » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:56 pm

elizabeth edmunds wrote:Everybody makes mistakes,I certainly have made more than most but surely the important thing is how you deal with them. As I understand it the door is open for any of you to walk through.

So you feel the governors, Boddy etc have dealt with this situation with kindness and courage? And we haven't?

Nice one!

I told my dad, I went through some but by no means all of the experience that was apparently so wonderful. I got another ex-pupil to talk with him and give other examples. He was so angry and upset that he sat down and wrote a 6 page letter to Lambie demanding that as the SES set up the schools he sort it out asap. Now that was courageous. (N.B. I found the letter by accident doing some pc maintenance. It wasn't finished and I hope I did right in stopping him from sending it.)

The governors, heads and staff have not not shown an ounce of the courage my father has displayed.

Stanton

Postby Stanton » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:08 pm

Why did you stop him from sending it, Daska?

daska

Postby daska » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:54 pm

Mainly because I'm not vindictive - though one of my ex-bosses did describe me as 'sometimes militant'.

But this is a two sided coin. If I had let him send the letter it would make his staying in SES very difficult and why should he lose his lifelong crutch. But my dad is such an honourable man that in some ways this is as much a punishment as having to leave SES. He wants to make amends and I am effectively stopping him.

As a parent I have had to make some very tough decisions, I won't know for years yet whether I have chosen correctly or made serious mistakes. So, though I hated my time at school, even though I loathe SES and even though it has taken 2 decades and several failed relationships to sort myself out, I recognise that my dad always did the best he could to provide what he believed I needed.

Fundamentally, this is MY problem to find MY resolution for. He can't do it for me. I have what I need from him - understanding of what happened, support for what I need to do and obvious contrition.

Enough reasons?

Return to “St James and St Vedast”