David Lacey

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
leon

Postby leon » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:02 pm

chittani wrote:
What is it you want???

Didn't really answer your question there.

I personally want to belong to an organization whose aims and methods are entirely consistent with the ethical norms and standards of reasonable people.

To this end, I believe that there has to be:

- a sincere apology from the School of Economic Science and St James, both public and private;
- new procedures and structures put in place to ensure full openness and accountability in the management of both organisations;
- face to face meetings with complainants by representatives of both organizations, in a mutually unthreatening environment;
- actions taken where possible to bring about reconciliation;

So if this doesn't happen, You will quit SES?

1980sstJ

Postby 1980sstJ » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:26 pm

chittani, you can feel sorry for whoever you want, of course. But please remember we are talking about little children being beaten up by adults.

NYC

Postby NYC » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:24 pm

Chittani,
Your point that making an allegation against a named individual is potentially libelous (and unfair & bullying) is a good one. However, for it to be libelous it must be untrue.

The school?s own inquiry finds the allegations of harsh treatment and harsh discipline to be proved against two of the three current St James staff who were at the school before 1985. And although the teachers are not named in the www.iirep.com report, since there are only three people discussed it isn?t hard to track back. David Lacey is one of the three, and his former students don?t seem to think he?s the teacher who admitted throwing a board eraser one time.

I do and don?t feel sorry for him -- I am a teacher, and if I were met towards the end of my working life with a large pool of former students who hated me and felt they had been harmed by me I would be heartbroken. Sometimes karma does act within a lifetime?

ps I've copied your list of "what you want" to the thread you originated, "An SES member says: it's time for a full SES apology" since it's OT here but a very interesting list.
Attended Parts 1,2, & 3 and a Plato study group in the NY adult school 2004 - 2005. Also explored advaita philosphy in other organizations since 1995, and continue to do so.

1980sstJ

Postby 1980sstJ » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:12 pm

Does anyone have any theories or actual concrete thoughts on why Lacey has not gone down the route of apologising to and meeting his victims?

Does anyone know on which thread it is supposedly suggested that he has 'fessed up' to his current pupils?

bella

Postby bella » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:19 pm

1980sstJ

Postby 1980sstJ » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:22 am

Thanks

Ben W

Postby Ben W » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:23 pm

Hi 1980sStJ,

You received an answer to the second part of your question but not the first.

In answer to why David Lacey has not apologised: not knowing him or what he did, but accepting (based on this site) that he did things which he may now regret...

I suspect (a) he may be going through terrible personal struggles, and (b) he/SES may have legal advice which advises against apologising on the basis of potential lawsuits.

Ben
Child member of SES from around 1967 to around 1977; Strongly involved in Sunday Schools ; Five brothers and sisters went to ST V and St J in the worst years

Daffy

Postby Daffy » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:15 am

I think it's simpler than that: like Debenham, he probably doesn't admit even to himself that he did anything he should now regret.

Stanton

Postby Stanton » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:13 am

Not so, Daffy. In a previous post one of his current class said that he confessed to them what he had done all those years ago. I think Ben is probably right - the possibility of legal action may be stifling more than Mr Lacey's apology.

If there was a forum for a public apology would you - and others - agree to withold all further criticism, legal action or other actions which could damage him? I don't think you could promise that.

It works both ways.

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:59 am

To speculate that apologies aren?t forthcoming because of the possibility of legal action is perhaps a bit of a red herring. If this was the case why have there been no lawsuits against any of the three people who have already given them (publicly), and that was over a year ago now. It?s important to guard against this becoming yet another excuse for inaction.

Daffy

Postby Daffy » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:53 pm

Well said, Matthew.

Stanton, if Lacey can get up in front of a class of boys and make a confession (and I stress 'if') then he can get up in front of adults and do the same.

Legal action over what happened all those years ago would be extraordinarily difficult, and that is not on my mind or on the minds of any other former pupil that I know.

David Lacey, confess your sins fully and apologise here on this site. I can't say I will forgive you, but I will think better of you for having the guts to admit - finally after so many years - that you were wrong.

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:51 pm

Stanton wrote:Not so, Daffy. In a previous post one of his current class said that he confessed to them what he had done all those years ago. I think Ben is probably right - the possibility of legal action may be stifling more than Mr Lacey's apology.

If there was a forum for a public apology would you - and others - agree to withold all further criticism, legal action or other actions which could damage him? I don't think you could promise that.

It works both ways.

Isn't the SES supposed to value the Truth? Does the importance of telling the truth not apply when it might entail criticism or legal action?

Stanton

Postby Stanton » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:54 pm

You're right, of course, Tom, but much more difficult to do if one is not only facing one's own demons but also those of others.

Free

Postby Free » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:01 pm

<delete>
Last edited by Free on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stanton

Postby Stanton » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:44 pm

What statute of limitations?

Return to “St James and St Vedast”