Boddy & Pincham: what sort of men are you?

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
1980sstJ

Boddy & Pincham: what sort of men are you?

Postby 1980sstJ » Fri May 12, 2006 1:03 pm

David Boddy, you often present yourself as separate from the child abuse that took place at St James in the past.

But you are not.

You were part of the PR response to the exposes in the 1980s of some of that abuse. You helped the attempt to cover up the abuse that innocent children were suffering at the hands of St James teachers.

And now, you continue to employ some of the abusers and entrust the welfare of innocent children into their hands.

David Boddy: what sort of Headmaster are you? What sort of MAN are you?

Roger Pincham, you were Governor of St James while I and other children were being abused in the 1980s. You therefore share some of the responsibility for that.

Your response to the inquiry has been cowardly and contemptible.

Rather than accept responsibility or act like a man, you have cowered behind the protective walls of the SES. You have done nothing to remove the abusers from St James and seem happy for innocent children to be left in their charge.You have also twisted the words of the victims of the child abuse and misrepresented our agenda. You are cowardly and loathsome.

Roger Pincham: what sort of Governor are you? What sort of MAN are you?

Remember, we are talking about child abuse here. I could not even begin to explain the effect that the abuse I suffered at St James had on me. It was TRULY horrific. But at least I know that however much it continues to haunt me, I will ALWAYS be a bigger and better person than you two.

Current parents and prospective parents take note: these are the ?men? who hold power at St James Independent School For Boys in Twickenham.

Ben W

Re: Boddy & Pincham: what sort of men are you?

Postby Ben W » Sun May 14, 2006 10:43 am

1980sstJ wrote:I could not even begin to explain the effect that the abuse I suffered at St James had on me. It was TRULY horrific.

1980sstJ - I can well believe it. I suspect that your story is one which is very much in need of being told - and heard by all sides of this debate.

I know from my own experience that it was 15 years before I was able to begin exploring my memories on my experiences up to the age of 17, and a further 8 years until I really came to terms with what had happened. In a sense this is a journey that I will be on until I die - but at this stage I have a sense that I have been able to face and comprehend the whole of it. The first steps of that journey were some of the most difficult. (I underwent hypnotherapy - not really sure how that came about - and came out of some sessions an inconsolable blubbering mess.)

I am not sure if, from your point of view, this is the right forum for you to reveal any of your experiences. I get quite scared making some of my personal postings here. From my point of view, I think there would be great value in you saying what you can - whether it be two sentences or 50 pages. I think the entire board would stop and listen.

Best wishes,
Ben
Child member of SES from around 1967 to around 1977; Strongly involved in Sunday Schools ; Five brothers and sisters went to ST V and St J in the worst years

Jo-Anne Morgan

Postby Jo-Anne Morgan » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:02 am

I'd like to juxtapose the entries in this thread with the tribute below to Roger Pincham I found recently in an SES publication:

The Headteachers and staff of St James Schools would like to convey our enormous appreciation to Mr Roger
Pincham on the occasion of his retirement as Chairman of Governors. Roger has been the longest-serving member
of the Schools since their foundation in 1975. His strong but gentle leadership has enabled the schools to develop
over the years into vibrant and happy places, where young people from all walks of life are supported in finding their
way towards fulfilment. Roger’s humane and liberal vision has allowed the schools to flourish: he has supported
the need for change whilst remaining true to principles of education which, for generations, have brought out
the best in human nature. We will miss his good heart.

In view of the postings on this website, I find that sickening. In fact, it's a fucking disgrace.

bonsai

Postby bonsai » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:02 am

Jo-Anne Morgan wrote:In view of the postings on this website, I find that sickening. In fact, it's a fucking disgrace.

Here here Jo-Anne.

For those that wish to know where this was published it can be found at http://www.stjamesschools.co.uk/spectru ... 202008.pdf

I think that it is fair to say that the schools and the SES just don't get it.

I believe that after the inquiry delivered its report, any self-respecting, principled and moral chair of a board of governors would have fallen on his sword and tendered their resignation immediately in the even that such an inquiry concluded that there had been criminal mistreatment of children on their watch.

Roger Pincham may not have been the himself responsible for the culture or the mistreatment that has occurred throughout the history of the St James and St Vedast school but as the chairman of the board of governors the ultimate responsibility and accountability rested with him. That he was allowed to retire with full ceremonial honours and is bestowed with such praise just bulldozes through any of the good that the inquiry and attempts at reconciliation have achieved.

It just shows they don't recognise that people with feelings have been severely let down by their actions or that such people can simply be ignored.

Bonsai

ConcernedMum

Postby ConcernedMum » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:22 am

And lets not forget that David Boddy is heading up the board of Lucca Leadership. It is notable that the SES are trying to put clear blue water between them and Lucca Leadership. David Boddy and the majority of the other trustees (if not all?) are intimately linked with Lucca Leadership. Lets make sure that their links to and denial of child abuse are known to those who they try and sell their leadership courses to.

Ahamty2

Postby Ahamty2 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:07 am

I agree with Concerned Mum. We 'down under' tend to get lost in this Forum which is understandable considering the size and wealth of the northern hemisphere organizations. I note that Lucca Leadership Australia presents itself as a squeaky clean group to "show the way" to our youth to be leaders of society. They give no hint of their connection to the SOP or the SES. The only thing keeping theses groups going is the extreme wealth which the SES has accumulated over the years. The free labour and money we so blindly gave them in the early years of establishing their schools and thereafter. I don't think they get anywhere near the numbers they use to get who stay after the first few courses here.

ConcernedMum

Postby ConcernedMum » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:21 am

I should clarify that when I say "denial", clearly there has been some acknowledgement of the fact that children were abused but the inadequate response shows some level of denial is still in operation.

Yes. Lucca Leadership has been running 'leadership' courses for later teens (16+) in schools and for a state sponsored agency here in Ireland. Apparently the courses themselves are good and good fun. However they have contacted participants outside of the course to offer their further courses in Italy. I think this is very bad practice for adults to be contacting young people outside of the confines of the course that they were employed to give to the young people. It sets off child safety alarms for me as these are still school-age young people. Thankfully most parents are not going to let their young teenagers go off to Italy to do courses willy nilly but nevertheless it is an extraordinarily bad practice for youth workers to engage in.

Robert Mulhall got a Social Entrepreneur award here in Ireland which I presume has given them some traction.

Return to “St James and St Vedast”